No More Coup After May 14 Election: Prawit

webfact

4 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

would the Thai people accept another coup???

They have basically, "accepted" (forced to accept) all the previous ones so why should they not "accept" another one?

PS; This is not France!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

How can someone who is no longer a general make such s pledge? The new generals might want to grab their share and Prawit cannot do much to stop that. Historically, coup makers are always a new gang unless they hold a coup against themselves, which has been done 

47 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

He can say what he wants,. but who believes him, who borrowed expensive watches from a dead friend?? Another question that is more important I think, would the Thai people accept another coup???

The majority I believe do not accept any coup . Not much they can do apart from stand in front of tanks .

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Do these soldiers never learn? Here we have the ex sleeping partner of the present unelected PM who said when he stole the country in 2014 "there will be no coup".

Does even the most gullible Thai person believe what comes out of these two soldiers mouths.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

They have basically, "accepted" (forced to accept) all the previous ones so why should they not "accept" another one?

PS; This is not France!

Times are changing....... indeed not France ... yet.... but the riches richer and the poorer poorer is a ground to get problems.. surely now a real leader is missing....

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick....   Name that Tune ...                                                                                             
" And I'm bringing you a love that's true
So get ready, so get ready
I'm gonna try to make you love me too
So get ready, so get ready 'cause here I come

(Get ready 'cause here I come) I'm on my way
(Get ready 'cause here I come) "

22 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

while the bulk of senators will be appointed by a civilian panel next year

When did that happen?  The Senators being selected by the military was the main item of contention when the referendum was voted for.  It was widely held that the Thai population was duped because campaigning was banned at the time so most didn't know what changes the new constitution included.

If what you are saying is correct, that's quite a big amendment and a real step in the right direction.

35 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

When did that happen?  The Senators being selected by the military was the main item of contention when the referendum was voted for.  It was widely held that the Thai population was duped because campaigning was banned at the time so most didn't know what changes the new constitution included.

If what you are saying is correct, that's quite a big amendment and a real step in the right direction.

Provision for Senate appointment and duties can be gleaned  from the The Transitory Provision under the Transitory Provisions of the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand. Long read but contained the panels responsibly for senators selection which include the NCPO. NCPO has been formally dissolved in 2019. The Provision is transitory and fulfilled the purpose at that post coup period. The Transitory Provision also allows amendment. I will be least surprised if the next civilian government make those amendments for an elected upper house and as you said “ right direction”.

https://www.senate.go.th/assets/portals/1/fileups/419/files/senate Eng.pdf

On 3/24/2023 at 10:30 AM, Srikcir said:

It's disturbing that Prawit even makes this "offer." Shows he has the power to do another coup. 

He could offer inside that there will be

• no further conscrption (all volunteer military except when declaration of war),
  • the military will give up all its private enterprises and natural resources,
  • reduce its number of generals by half,
  • take a 10% reduction in its budget for the next ten years to improve income inequality,
  • allow semi-autonomy in the Muslim Southern provinces to obtain peace in a decades long insurrection, 
  • forbid active military from any political position
  • require 5 years retirement for active military before pursuing political positions,
  • etc.

What he offers instead is just more elitism and barriers to democracy.

What he offers is just p1$$ and wind. 

• Like 1

Translated:
"Vote for me and I can guarantee that there will be no coup while I'm in office.
Vote for any of the others and I can't vouch for such guarantees - therefore - vote for me!"

• Like 1

The world should smarten up and stop voting dinosaurs in to leadership positions and let the next generation take the reins of power.
This from a Boomer.  It's time for geriatric cases to retire - honestly.
And here in Thailand.  They force retirement for everyone else at 60.  It should apply to politicians as well.

• Thumbs Up 1