Recommendation for the someone with severe Dental phobia

ttkeric

Get yourself some Xanax.............. which ever dentist you go to.

I was on the operating table, all prepped for a double osteotomy. There was an emergency and I had to wait for 30 mins in the recovery room........a very pleasant experience....it wasn't till afterwards the nurse explained I'd been dosed up on Xanax before the op.

• Like 1

Is there a solution?

I think the best thing is try to change your attitude and get enough anesthesia that it doesn't hurt anymore.

Obviously you will still hear the noise of the drill, and no ear plugs will remove that sound.

I don't like going to the dentist. I don't know if my dislike is more severe than that from others. I go because I know if I don't go then sometime sooner or later it will hurt (more). So basically I have the choice between getting enough injections at the dentist so that it doesn't hurt and get the procedure done and the problem is gone.

Or waiting until it hurts and then try to get it fixed.

Not that I like option a, but it's still better than option b.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

CM Ram has some good Dentist.

But, hey dude go to the main gate area and hit up a shop get yourself the strongest weed they have.  Smoke a gigantic bowl then go to the Dentist.  Won't feel a thing.

Could make him even more paranoid of dentist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

get yourself the strongest weed they have

There is a school of thought that says THC and that sort of stuff can reduce the effectivemess of the local anesthetic. But then you'll probably be so out of it you won't notice.

But on a more serious note if you need to get youself knocked out (FULL anesthestia) the dentist is not qualifed to do that (although that never stopped them when I was a kid and was regularly knocked out by the (unqualified) dentist) so they will have to get a an anesthesiologist I would imagine.

I have plenty of work done at CM Ram (with local anesthetic) - my advice (for your friend)n- go ONCE get all your teeth pulled out and then get some plastic choppers for the rest of your life.

Apparently this was quite common before free dentistry "It may sound gruesome but as late as the 1940's, people were having all their teeth pulled out as a birthday or wedding present. In the days before the NHS, no teeth = no expensive dental bills."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/scotlandonfilm/forum/health/thread10.shtml#:~:text=It may sound gruesome but,teeth %3D no expensive dental bills.

Problem solved.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 8:12 AM, nglodnig said:

I have plenty of work done at CM Ram (with local anesthetic) - my advice (for your friend)n- go ONCE get all your teeth pulled out and then get some plastic choppers for the rest of your life.

It depends on how long the "rest of your life" is.

After full extraction, the gums recede over the years.

Recession got so bad with my mother that her dentures lost all grip on her gums. For a couple of years until she died, she could not eat any food that required chewing.

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2023 at 11:24 AM, JimmyJ said:

Get a local injection in your mouth which all dentists give usually by default -  you won't feel a thing as far as drilling.

i went the other week i was so keyed up the needles didnt "take" so i got 3-4 needles....it def kicked in later.....my jaw was sore for 3 weeks from keeping it so wide open

so he sent me home 2nd visit and jaw pain healed...went back for 2nd tooth and only took one needle and he used a jaw prop to hold my pie hole open...go back for #3 in 2 weeks....ugh