UK "Standard Visitor" visa for Thai Citizen

My Thai wife has applied for a UK visitor visa to come with me on holiday for a few weeks... neither of us have ever done this before, so we're hoping to benefit from the collective wisdom here ???? We're now on the VFS appointment bit, which we'll be doing at their Sukhumvit 13 office.

Three questions:

1) The appointment is for biometrics and submission of documents. Is the biometrics just having a photo and fingerprints taken? Can scans be submitted on the VFS website (we haven't got to that bit yet) in advance of handing over the file of paper she's got (I've already scanned it all for her)?

2) What are the differences between VFS's standard appointment and the Premium Lounge appointment? As far as I can tell, the standard one is free (but I saw something about a 500ish Baht service charge), and the premium one is 3,400 Baht (and I'm not sure whether she still has to pay the 'service charge' from the standard one). As far as I can tell, the premium one comes with a more comfortable waiting area, "personalised service", free use of a printer, free refreshments (water? coffee?? beer???)... do VFS post the passport back with the visa when it's done for both the standard and premium services?

3) I understand this whole process takes about 3 weeks... has anyone here experienced (preferably recently) this?

Thanks in advance for any insight krub.

10 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

1 - Biometric details can only be captured at the Visa Application Centre.

2 - The premium services are, in my humble opinion, totally unnecessary, the standard system works just fine.

3 - Applications certainly seem to be getting turned around in about three weeks or so at the present time.

If you’ve already scanned the supporting evidence, they can be uploaded directly to the UKVI website prior to the visit to the Application Centre, there is no service charge if you don’t need supplementary services.

I agree 100%

A friend's application was submitted on 10th March; on 27th March the processed visa was sent out by VfS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

1 - Biometric details can only be captured at the Visa Application Centre.

2 - The premium services are, in my humble opinion, totally unnecessary, the standard system works just fine.

3 - Applications certainly seem to be getting turned around in about three weeks or so at the present time.

If you’ve already scanned the supporting evidence, they can be uploaded directly to the UKVI website prior to the visit to the Application Centre, there is no service charge if you don’t need supplementary services.

Thank you very much.

1. Sorry, didn't make myself clear - I meant about uploading supporting documentation, not the biometrics.

2. So, what exactly is the difference between standard and premium? I'm curious either way! Is it just having someone to hold your hand and give you a cup of coffee? What about passport return - is it the same?

3. If it's three weeks - good, gives me a few weeks between visa approval and planned travel date.

... and ...

4. I have another question, after speaking to someone that did this before - they told me that you should have a return ticket and accommodation booked, and have the booking confirmation with the rest of the documents. Is this the case?

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I agree 100%

A friend's application was submitted on 10th March; on 27th March the processed visa was sent out by VfS.

17 days even? Great!

Also, if you can help out with question #4 in the post above, about flight/accommodation booking, great ???? I saw when making the application on the UK Govt site that it wasn't necessary, but I'd like extra informed opinions.

Edited by Pi Sek
added the bit about question #4

Useful thread. We just submitted the application for my GF this afternoon and booked with VFS. We too, have to scan and upload all the supporting documentation in the next 2 weeks before the biometric appointment.

If taking the premium gold service, they will also do document scanning and upload for you too.

I recall seeing somewhere on the UK.GOV website NOT to book airfares in advance. I would not, unless it was cancellable and refundable.

Edited by soi3eddie

21 minutes ago, Pi Sek said:

4. I have another question, after speaking to someone that did this before - they told me that you should have a return ticket and accommodation booked, and have the booking confirmation with the rest of the documents. Is this the case?

She should demonstrate that she has somewhere to stay but does not need to show bookings and certainly not flight bookings, I also think it is specifically mentioned somewhere not to do this.  3 or 4 successful visas for my wife, all without bookings.

1 hour ago, Pi Sek said:

17 days even? Great!

Also, if you can help out with question #4 in the post above, about flight/accommodation booking, great ???? I saw when making the application on the UK Govt site that it wasn't necessary, but I'd like extra informed opinions.

You don't need a flight booking - in fact UKVI advise against booking flights until the visa has been approved......(totally the opposite with a Schengen visa).

The online application process asks if you are staying in a specific place. I always cover that off in my 'sponsor' letter by referring to "we will be visiting various locations in the UK and will book suitable hotels in due course - the financial evidence supplied provides more than sufficient cover for such accommodation".

If you are staying with relatives you may need a letter of invitation from them - and perhaps evidence that the accommodation is adequate for those visiting. 

27 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

She should demonstrate that she has somewhere to stay but does not need to show bookings and certainly not flight bookings, I also think it is specifically mentioned somewhere not to do this.  3 or 4 successful visas for my wife, all without bookings.

I also saw the specific mention to not "book travel", but 1) I was told by someone in the village that we should; and 2) now I can't find it!

I *assumed* that a dedicated budget for hotels would be sufficient, as we are not planning on staying with the family and would prefer to plan our travel around different parts of the country based on how we're feeling at the time. Is this dedicated hotel budget an insufficient "proof of accommodation"?

1 minute ago, Pi Sek said:

I also saw the specific mention to not "book travel", but 1) I was told by someone in the village that we should; and 2) now I can't find it!

I *assumed* that a dedicated budget for hotels would be sufficient, as we are not planning on staying with the family and would prefer to plan our travel around different parts of the country based on how we're feeling at the time. Is this dedicated hotel budget an insufficient "proof of accommodation"?

You will presumably write a supporting letter and in that you can outline the travel plans and where the funding is coming from.  If hotels will be used then explain so as you have done above.  The finance is of course more important, hotels can be booked and cancelled on a whim and booking one proves absolutely nothing.

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You don't need a flight booking - in fact UKVI advise against booking flights until the visa has been approved......(totally the opposite with a Schengen visa).

The online application process asks if you are staying in a specific place. I always cover that off in my 'sponsor' letter by referring to "we will be visiting various locations in the UK and will book suitable hotels in due course - the financial evidence supplied provides more than sufficient cover for such accommodation".

If you are staying with relatives you may need a letter of invitation from them - and perhaps evidence that the accommodation is adequate for those visiting. 

Thank you, that covers my question #4 (I hope!).

I also stated during the application process (prior to the VFS appointment-booking) that we'll not be staying with my relatives, we don't have an address, and that we intend to stay at hotels throughout our stay over 5 locations. My sponsor letter specifically states a dedicated hotel budget for this.

For the benefit of others... I understand from a couple of friends who did stay with their relatives that they needed a letter of invitation. (No evidence of "adequacy" was required for the tourist visa, but I think it's different for longer visas.)

4 minutes ago, Pi Sek said:

You are visiting for a few weeks....your budget (and evidence of funds) will support that - including hotel accommodation.

If you were visiting for, say, 4 months it would be different.

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Useful thread. We just submitted the application for my GF this afternoon and booked with VFS. We too, have to scan and upload all the supporting documentation in the next 2 weeks before the biometric appointment.

If taking the premium gold service, they will also do document scanning and upload for you too.

I recall seeing somewhere on the UK.GOV website NOT to book airfares in advance. I would not, unless it was cancellable and refundable.

OK, so the Premium Lounge service includes them scanning and uploading it for you... seems unnecessary in my case as I've already done all the scanning myself.

Still yet to see a clear list of what the benefits of this premium service are. For 3,490 Baht (that's what it says on VFS's Website), I'd like to know!

Good luck for your application!

4 minutes ago, Pi Sek said:

Thank you, that covers my question #4 (I hope!).

I also stated during the application process (prior to the VFS appointment-booking) that we'll not be staying with my relatives, we don't have an address, and that we intend to stay at hotels throughout our stay over 5 locations. My sponsor letter specifically states a dedicated hotel budget for this.

For the benefit of others... I understand from a couple of friends who did stay with their relatives that they needed a letter of invitation. (No evidence of "adequacy" was required for the tourist visa, but I think it's different for longer visas.)

Standard visitor visas are normally issued for 6 months - you can apply for 2, 5 or 10 years (but can still only stay for 180 days) in any one visit.

I know a family of 4 who were staying with the UK mother-in-law who were asked to provide a local authority letter confirming that accommodation was suitable. In most cases like this a Zoopla property description should suffice.