Experience At TTJ Bank.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:19 PM, NoshowJones said:

Do other branches of this bank not print their services in English either?

Why should they print them in English? Nearly all of their customers can speak and read Thai, and the few who can’t bring somebody as translator. Having a tourist like you walk in, without any way to communicate with them in Thai, is surely a rare occurrence for them.

As a tourist without any knowledge of the language you better stay in the tourist places at first, because the Thais there can usually speak at least some English. After you have been in Thailand for a few months and know some basic words you can think about staying somewhere more remote.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Why should they print them in English? Nearly all of their customers can speak and read Thai, and the few who can’t bring somebody as translator. Having a tourist like you walk in, without any way to communicate with them in Thai, is surely a rare occurrence for them.

As a tourist without any knowledge of the language you better stay in the tourist places at first, because the Thais there can usually speak at least some English. After you have been in Thailand for a few months and know some basic words you can think about staying somewhere more remote.

But he is NOT a tourist.

Sometimes when you get older your hearing degrades and also you cannot hear the difference between low, rising, middle, falling and high tones.

None of us are perfect, and as Thai is a tonal language it is hard to tell the difference between words in Thai.

I am fortunate as my wife helps me out when I get stuck with Thai conversations and I am grateful for that help.

Having said that, I have lived and worked in some countries where the basic language is for example, Spanish but it is different from original Spanish to the Spanish in Chile and the Spanish in Venezuela or Mexico. Then again they would be different from other South American countries.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

extra charge is about 15 thb, so wouldn't worry about that too much.

That is about half the price of my evening meal at one of the local food stalls, so it would be a bit of a worry.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/29/2023 at 1:19 PM, NoshowJones said:

Is this bank so much against western customers that they can not have services printed in English?

How many non-Thai customers who are unable to read Thai do you reckon they have, in Nakhon Sawan specifically?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

How many non-Thai customers who are unable to read Thai do you reckon they have, in Nakhon Sawan specifically?

I don't know about today, but there were plenty in recent years, you could see their regular meetings in the restaurant. Any bank I have dealt with when there were no English speakers on the staff, someone would hand me a phone with an English speaker who I could talk to.

The manager did hand me a phone, but the speaker on the other side spoke Thai, I shrugged my shoulders and handed it back to him, he told me to wait then returned and handed me the phone a second time, again the speaker spoke in Thai, he then asked for my phone number and said someone would call me, nobody did.

Make of that sort of service what you will.

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Any bank I have dealt with when there were no English speakers on the staff, someone would hand me a phone with an English speaker who I could talk to.

I agree, that would be the reasonable thing to do when nobody at that branch can speak English. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2023 at 7:11 PM, billd766 said:

IIRC, KBank charge 20 baht for an out of province withdrawal. I have no idea what Bangkok Bank charges.

I can't remember exactly, but it  was something like 280Bt for withdrawing 180,000Bt.

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In that case, if an ATm is 20bt, do 6 x 30k = 120bt. ????

So if I draw say 300,000Bt as I intend to do the next time I should take it from the ATM instead of over the counter?

• Confused 1

That people were served 'before' you might have been due to the fact that, perhaps, they had a number for different services, e.g. deposits/withdrawals, rather than 'opening bank accounts'. Most banks have a button 'English' on their ticket machines.

That being said, TTB (formerly TMB) has never been a very foreigner-friendly bank.

I remember having a request to open a bank account at TMB Phuket declined 25 years ago when most other banks were willing to open accounts for tourists.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

So if I draw say 300,000Bt as I intend to do the next time I should take it from the ATM instead of over the counter?

Personally I wouldn't risk that amount on the street from an ATM definitely worth doing discretely inside a bank .

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2023 at 6:46 PM, NoshowJones said:

Yes. Sorry TTB.

TMB (was Thai Military Bank) which merged with Thanachart Bank. I have found both difficult to deal with, without a Thai speaker, example (1) needed a new ATM card for existing account, told no can do unless you have a Work Permit, (2) wanted to deposit money into my children's accounts, no can do need to have them with me.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 5:30 PM, billd766 said:

Sometimes when you get older your hearing degrades and also you cannot hear the difference between low, rising, middle, falling and high tones.

Haven't been able to identify tones correctly since school age, why I'm not a multi-millionaire pop star