Home Visit for Retirement Extension Renewal

I have been retired in Phrae for 13 years at the same address, and have done my annual non-o extension renewals with no problems. A friend recently did his renewal and encountered some changes that are puzzling me. In addition to the usual, he was asked for photos of himself and wife outside and inside their house. They also required a home visit from an officer from Bangkok in the presence of a neighbor and the village chief. I was astounded and thought there must be a mistake. I know all this is required for an extension based on marriage, but have never heard of it for an extension based on retirement. I am wondering if this is something new, or perhaps the officer mistakenly applied the marriage rules instead of retirement. 

Anybody have a similar experience? I hate surprises, especially at the immigration office.

40 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Makes no sense at all as having a wife or not has nothing to do with retirement.

Quite agree with you, however

Since I moved here in 2005, I've had 3 Home visits to my knowledge.

First when I was definitely on a marriage extension, as I was still under 50.

Third was definitely while on a retirement extension.

The second was about the time I transferred from marriage to retirement (on Immigrations instructions), as they would not accept that I was married despite having at least 2 marriage extensions in my passport and having copies of KR2 and KR3 and a "note" from the head of the Amphoe/Ampher, stating that they had miss-filed the original of the "affirmation of freedom to marry", when they registered the marriage, and as such a copy could not be provided to Immigration.

So makes sense or not, it's Immigrations choice, and by the way all visits were made by the local police, some in uniform and some in plain clothes, not by Immigration Officers.

Edited by foreverlomsak
Brain working quicker than fingers
  • Sad 1

12 years in Phrae , until late 2019 we had to go to NAN immigration and no home visits .

Now 3+ years Phrae immigration office with one home visit last year (or the year before , I forget).

Nice folks . 

No changes at my renewal in sept 22 .

Did he have to send the pictures to I.O. ? Or show them on his phone or camera ?