School won't cancel work permit / non-B extension before my flight home

Good afternoon all,

First time poster. Just in need of a bit of advice. 

I have been working at my current school for two years. I informed them back in January I would be returning home to study for a PGCE, so I can return to Thailand as a fully qualified teacher in two/three years, and they seemed fine with it.

My flight home is on Sunday and the school told me they would cancel my work permit tomorrow (Thursday) so I can cancel the non-B extension before my flight.

I asked them today if that was still the plan after a few days of silence and they have informed me they won't do it until after my flight. This means departing from the proper procedure for leaving a job/cancelling an extension. 

Is this going to cause problems for me when trying to leave the country this weekend? I know the first thing immigration look for at the airport when they see current non-B visas/extensions are Re-Entry Permits (which doesn't apply here, but I imagine they will notice something is amiss).

Or worse still, is it going to cause problems when I return to Thailand further down the road and try to apply for a new non-B visa? 

Thank you very much! 

Just get on the plane and go. Don't cross overland. No one will make a fuss they'll let you go.

In my opinion it will be a long forgotten matter when you return many years from now to teach again

Edited by Menken

Unlikely to be an issue, I flew home 2 years ago without cancelation and worked from my home country for few months before I resigned and then they canceled it in their own time. I flew 6 months after this event for another job and got visa/wp without any problems.

Be carefull i left to go back Australia . Before i left i contaced my Lawer / Accountant to cancell my work permit work  and Company. retune 2 years later got home and got a BIG SUPERISE letter form tax department for 700,OOO bt . Lawer / Account did not cancell . Got well and truly  xxxxxx . Make sure that you cancell ALL permits before you leave if you whant to come back

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, daniel555 said:

My flight home is on Sunday and the school told me they would cancel my work permit tomorrow (Thursday) so I can cancel the non-B extension before my flight.

If they cancel your Work Permit on Thursday (Today) you would need to leave the country today, or go to Immigration for a 7 day extension to take care of your stuff before you leave. This 7 day is actually 6 days because they will count Thursday as day one. Think the price is 1900฿ for this. If you ask me it's better they cancel same day or first working day after you have left.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

If they cancel your Work Permit on Thursday (Today) you would need to leave the country today, or go to Immigration for a 7 day extension to take care of your stuff before you leave. This 7 day is actually 6 days because they will count Thursday as day one. Think the price is 1900฿ for this. If you ask me it's better they cancel same day or first working day after you have left.

That was the original plan. But as the next paragraph says, they changed their minds and won't cancel it. 

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why not just do it yourself?  It's your passport/Extension and your work permit.

Immigration will not normally cancel your permission to stay without seeing a termination letter from your employer.

17 hours ago, daniel555 said:

The employer has to cancel the work permit. I can only cancel the extension after that is done. 

Not in my experience.  As long as you have the termination letter from your employer you can go to the Labor Department yourself.

17 hours ago, daniel555 said:

The employer has to cancel the work permit. I can only cancel the extension after that is done. 

IMO if you depart Thailand without having obtained a re-entry permit, your current B-Visa will be dead, Work Permit does not come into the equation.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I assumed he has the termination letter, otherwise how does he know he's been let go? 

He has not been let go. He, himself, has informed his employer that he wants to leave, but does not possess a termination letter.

• Like 1

Hi,

Just give your WP back to your school

and fly out of Thailand. There should

be no problem!

You'll probably be told by the IO that your

Non-B will be automatically cancelled if

you fly out of the country without a re-entry

permit.

And you shouldn't leave the country by land,

because you'll probably be asked by the IO

to show the termination letter from your