Good heavens, we have gotten old.

swissie

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps time to end this particular sidetrack, but it's hard to be happy when one is surrounded by the sort of idiot that thinks everyone else wants to share in their <deleted> choice of electronic noise played at level 11.

Wearing earplugs for hours really sucks big time. Just as well I don't need audio to post on here.

That would be upsetting…

• Thumbs Up 1

I often wonder at those who see retirement as the best time of their lives, its good enjoyable, and one can still have wonderful times, but options are governed a little at least by age and conditions???? 

Which is why I would expect many of us had 'the best times' of our lives when we were younger, unless having fun was left a bit late ????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Unfortunately I don't like getting old , apart from the decreased life we have ,(many of us will go between 78 & 84) there is the added illness's too 

I'm probably looking at a liver transplant and looks like a kidney transplant down the track .

I will get my heart checked soon too hopefully that will be ok 

I'll bet you're a fun one to talk to while having a beer.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't get my heart checked cos  doc says it strong, doc just checks my blood every 4 months. ????

"Strong." Thai doc, I presume. But other telltale issues usually precede CVD (e. g., blood markers, shortness of breath) and may prompt an in-depth check.

EKG's perhaps indicative but finally not all that useful, contrary to common belief. Your EKG could be fine and a few days later you could die of a heart attack.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:45 PM, giddyup said:

Do you mean the arthritis, the swollen prostate, failing eyesight, loss of teeth etc?

There is nothing there to enjoy.

I am already deeply there at 78 and for me the arthritis is the worst.

2 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

spinners at 70s dont look to hot bear in mind

Friend of mine used to say, "Your sexiest organ is your brain." His wife was one of the homeliest women on the planet, he was an old fat guy. But they found ways to enjoy one HOT sex life until he died at age 59 as a result of neglecting his health.

• Sad 1

On 3/31/2023 at 7:14 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Welcome to the elder human race. I think everyone regrets that they didn't do more when they could. I certainly do, and I did waaaaaay more than most.

As I get older the more the ghosts of the past come to haunt me, and the regret for things not done is my constant companion.

One of the reasons I keep posting instead of doing better things is that it helps me forget the regrets.

BTW, congrats on still being together. My marriage was my last hope of not being lonely in my last years, and that certainly didn't work out for me.

Just for that I envy you.

Like you I regret that I didn't do more when I was younger.

Fortunately for me, my second marriage to my current Thai wife is still going after 23 years this month.

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

That’s commendable.  Most people refuse to give up driving until they don’t know that they need to.

I'm glad I gave up driving at 81 when I retired and didn't need to drive myself the 50 miles to work.  Also gave me time to go to the gym daily and lose about 40 pounds.  GF at 40 keeps up with hula hoop, home weights and gym, dropping about 6-7 kilos down to 46-7.  When it comes to ageing, I recommend the state of denial.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NextG said:

That would be upsetting…

It is. To know what it's like, get someone to hit the outside of whatever room you are in with a big hammer for several hours.

Unfortunately, seems like there are loads of people out there with zero consideration for other people.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Fortunately for me, my second marriage to my current Thai wife is still going after 23 years this month.

Seriously, I envy you and anyone that has a long lasting marriage.

I have terrible judgement when it comes to women. Tried twice and not going to bother again.

I have actually met some delightful women in my life, but they were already married, and in some cases still are.

However, almost everyone I know is divorced, so even the long lasting marriages are second time around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 473geo said:

I often wonder at those who see retirement as the best time of their lives, its good enjoyable, and one can still have wonderful times, but options are governed a little at least by age and conditions???? 

Which is why I would expect many of us had 'the best times' of our lives when we were younger, unless having fun was left a bit late ????

Agree. My best years were between 19 when I joined the military, and 30, when I got hooked for the first time.

Saw a large part of the world and a very interesting and adventurous life.

I love being retired, and not having to go to work, but it's not at all adventurous.

Even if I could afford to be adventurous, the body just ain't what it used to be.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:55 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

So you had 30 years to exercise, do yoga and keep your body more like it was at 30 than yours probably is at 60+

I do exercise and for my age I'm in pretty good shape.

But no matter much you exercise, eat good, you can't fight nature.

Testosterone is on a decline and nothing you can do about that without drugs and that is a pretty major part of the male physique 

Joints will age, and just wear out, your jaw line will sag, and hair, well you don't lose it it simply 'relocates'

So I'm all for keeping yourself in good shape, but you need to accept to age gracefully and lean into it

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:05 AM, BigStar said:

Yamuna Zake still looks great, even hot. One of my gf's inspirations.

image.png.2d9839bdeeb8f301b81549f1c7d83995.png

my gf was a bit "pudgy" when i met her (9 years ago) .....  

She's coming along pretty well (now 50)

and Rumak ?   same petit size as when 20   (now 72)

20200501_112537.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy, BigStar...... we're giving the old goats some real fodder to throw at us !   55   Obviously everyone has different physical (and mental) conditions to work with .  That said,  the body has an incredible ability to correct and improve ..... and of course takes time and effort .  

Any discussion of  what to do and what to eat to achieve better health always ends up in arguments. haha   

Your wife is in great shape.... and I certainly envy her flexibility !    My gf  is also impressed !

Edited by rumak
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 3:57 AM, NextG said:

As I posted earlier, I simply allowed my body to work in the way it should, as opposed to pushing it relentlessly. 

I'm not sure what that  ^ means.

Pushing one's body relentlessly seems to be a good thing, at least according to the latest research. Also, as Big Star pointed out, the technology now exists so that one can see all one's vitals, and then work to maximize the good ones. Granted it's a lot of bother for many or most people, but the benefits are clear.

Resistance training promotes the production of both testosterone and HGH, both of which keep the body young. Bones stay strong because the body reacts to the stress put on it and keeps bone density high. The increased or sustained VO2 max has cognitive benefits. Increased blood flow helps maintain youthful skin, as collagen production recedes at a slower rate. Those who do mostly cardio lose fast twitch muscle fiber relative to those who mix cardio and resistance training. Overall, healthspan is maximized with resistance training plus cardio.

One of the reason older people become feeble is because they lose strength. They are more prone to falling and more prone to osteoporosis, tendon and ligament damage. Cognition declines because O2-carrying blood flow to the brain slows.

We all decide what's best for us, and maybe you have found your own Holy Grail. I was an athlete all through university and after, and never stopped hitting the gym. I was never overweight, always had very low body fat, and have the definition I had as a 20 year old, besides having skin that is still supple. Maybe it's genetics, as many family members pop 100 years before pushing daisies, but exercise doesn't hurt.

Maybe there is more than one way to move into the Golden Years, so let us all find what meets our particular desires. A major motivation for me, in addition to simply feeling fit and nimble, is not wanting to look like most of the older expats I see in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Village farang bent double and his charming wife would take some beating for fitness quality ???? 

I have always been muscular and not flexible I think too late now ????

I thought the same. I was wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I'm not sure what that  ^ means.

Pushing one's body relentlessly seems to be a good thing, at least according to the latest research. Also, as Big Star pointed out, the technology now exists so that one can see all one's vitals, and then work to maximize the good ones. Granted it's a lot of bother for many or most people, but the benefits are clear.

Resistance training promotes the production of both testosterone and HGH, both of which keep the body young. Bones stay strong because the body reacts to the stress put on it and keeps bone density high. The increased or sustained VO2 max has cognitive benefits. Increased blood flow helps maintain youthful skin, as collagen production recedes at a slower rate. Those who do mostly cardio lose fast twitch muscle fiber relative to those who mix cardio and resistance training. Overall, healthspan is maximized with resistance training plus cardio.

One of the reason older people become feeble is because they lose strength. They are more prone to falling and more prone to osteoporosis, tendon and ligament damage. Cognition declines because O2-carrying blood flow to the brain slows.

We all decide what's best for us, and maybe you have found your own Holy Grail. I was an athlete all through university and after, and never stopped hitting the gym. I was never overweight, always had very low body fat, and have the definition I had as a 20 year old, besides having skin that is still supple. Maybe it's genetics, as many family members pop 100 years before pushing daisies, but exercise doesn't hurt.

Maybe there is more than one way to move into the Golden Years, so let us all find what meets our particular desires. A major motivation for me, in addition to simply feeling fit and nimble, is not wanting to look like most of the older expats I see in Thailand.

I push my body in a different way.  Almost the polar opposite of repetitive exercise. 
As a result I am far more flexible and strong overall than I ever was. Previously I was strong in parts and weak in others. I could perform 

massive feats of strength. Now I’m better overall, having been nowhere near a gym for years ☺️

On 4/2/2023 at 3:18 PM, rumak said:

my gf was a bit "pudgy" when i met her (9 years ago) .....  

She's coming along pretty well (now 50)

and Rumak ?   same petit size as when 20   (now 72)

20200501_112537.jpg

You are a lucky guy that she hasn't "gone to seed".

I got back to my 1990's weight after gaining a lot since, but unfortunately my muscle mass has turned to blubber and relocated to my belly button area.

That's what I find scary in marriage (beside misandric family law): finding myself in continued bondage long after the incentives for tying the knot are gone.

Note that this has been made worse by the laws that put females off bounds until years after menarche.