The verdicts and the jail time Thaksin faces in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

During his absence from the country, Thai courts sentenced him to a total of 12 years imprisonment in four cases, but the statute of limitations has since expired on a two-year jail term handed down in October 2008. He was acquitted in two other cases while the remaining two cases are still under investigation.

Sounds rather messy.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

So to date he faces only two investigations - nothing else? No immediate arrest upon entry into Thailand? That seems to leave a lot of opportunity for negotiation (ie., house arrest, banned from politics for one year, etc.), especially if the next election favors an anti-military coalition in Parliament.

The report didn't mention any detail of whether he would go direct from the airport to jai / to house arrest / to negotiaions etc. It wasn't mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In reality nothing happened to them, and nothing has ever happened to ANY coup leaders since 1932.

Well.....if one really digs into the history, you'll find that a handful of associated coup-makers were forced into self exile [a couple were able to return]. 

Less we forget, the '32 coup was the worst of the lot - by way of legendary measures. 

11 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Well.....if one really digs into the history, you'll find that a handful of associated coup-makers were forced into self exile [a couple were able to return]. 

Less we forget, the '32 coup was the worst of the lot - by way of legendary measures. 

And did ANY of them do any jail time at all?

Which is what quite a few people want Thaksin ro do.

And how many years in jail will he get for running away for maybe 10 years?

I suggest for each day that he avoided jail he should have to serve at least two days in jail.

Otherwise, if there are no consequences, everybody will run away. That can't be right.

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And did ANY of them do any jail time at all?

Which is what quite a few people want Thaksin ro do.

All of which might be somewhat moot...whether he was a scoundrel or not - he didn't pursue coups to gain power.

Any such clear charges and judgement of those principles that lead coup d'etats are never pursued, as they pull the strings. 

Kinda Thai tradition. 

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

So to date he faces only two investigations - nothing else? No immediate arrest upon entry into Thailand? That seems to leave a lot of opportunity for negotiation (ie., house arrest, banned from politics for one year, etc.), especially if the next election favors an anti-military coalition in Parliament.

"especially if the next election favors an anti-military coalition in Parliament". I would think that will certainly be what the vast majority of the Thai people will vote for, even if it's not a coalition. So why do I think there will still be soldiers around somewhere  no matter whatever party "wins" the election?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

"especially if the next election favors an anti-military coalition in Parliament". I would think that will certainly be what the vast majority of the Thai people will vote for, even if it's not a coalition. So why do I think there will still be soldiers around somewhere  no matter whatever party "wins" the election?

Old traditions are almost impossible to rectify.

There's always been an overwhelming military presence/influence throughout these institutions - can't get around it. 

A people's rebellion might resolve such long standing issues. 

......or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Hopefully there will be far less of them and IF the PT win an overall majority, or even with a MFP coalition, ALL of the senate will be kicked out and a new senate elected by the people will be installed.

Hopefully there will be NO seats reserved for the RTP, the military, the civil service or any religious body.

If that goes against the current constitution, then simply tear up the 2017 constitution and substitute it with the 1997 peoples constitution, suitably amended.

It is what the coup leaders do every time, so there is a precedent.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Hopefully there will be far less of them and IF the PT win an overall majority, or even with a MFP coalition, ALL of the senate will be kicked out and a new senate elected by the people will be installed.

Hopefully there will be NO seats reserved for the RTP, the military, the civil service or any religious body.

If that goes against the current constitution, then simply tear up the 2017 constitution and substitute it with the 1997 peoples constitution, suitably amended.

It is what the coup leaders do every time, so there is a precedent.

Yes of course, elected by the people. 

Indeed. ????

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Actually, it's quite possible that some sort of back room deal has already been agreed upon. 

Don't think the Thaksin people would be promoting the subliminal or surface rhetoric of "the return" unless there is a clear understanding of what's to come. 

Just a guess. 

Could be completely off base, though. 

Well I wouldn't be surprised at ll what the paymster 'gang' and 'contacts', and 'cronies are capable of negotiating and I have little doubt they would have no hesitation to ignore the law and the underlying reasoning for the law, for fainess, balance and for integrity.  they will go whatever hey want regardless of respect for anything.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 7:01 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I suggest for each day that he avoided jail he should have to serve at least two days in jail.

Otherwise, if there are no consequences, everybody will run away. That can't be right.

I suggest he not be prosecuted until after the coup leaders are prosecuted.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:01 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you suggest for the people who so obviously allowed him to escape Thailand and avoid the trials that were coming?

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

He is already a convicted criminal. He was several times prosecuted and found guilty. And he was several times convicted to jail.

He decided to run away. He could have told us all in court that he is innocent. He missed that opportunity.

And please go ahead, ask the authorities to prosecute anybody else who you think did crimes. And maybe some of them are even found guilty.

7 hours ago, greeneking said:

What do you suggest for the people who so obviously allowed him to escape Thailand and avoid the trials that were coming?

Did anybody push Thaksin and his little sister out of Thailand?

Are they at the border begging that they want to come in an nobody lets them in?

They both deliberately fled the country. And I am sure they had helpers. They can afford them.

11 hours ago, heybruce said:

if thaksin will do his jail time, some other high rank corrupt politician get maybe also jail time ... if thaksin get away with it, everyone now and in the future get away with it, and nothing will change ...

14 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

if thaksin will do his jail time, some other high rank corrupt politician get maybe also jail time ... if thaksin get away with it, everyone now and in the future get away with it, and nothing will change ...

Like the coup leaders who "pardon" themselves and are never punished.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He is already a convicted criminal. He was several times prosecuted and found guilty. And he was several times convicted to jail.

He decided to run away. He could have told us all in court that he is innocent. He missed that opportunity.

And please go ahead, ask the authorities to prosecute anybody else who you think did crimes. And maybe some of them are even found guilty.

Convicted by the government put in place by coup leaders who pardoned themselves, rewrote the constitution (twice) and leaned on the compliant courts.

I seem to recall you objected to an elected government attempting to pardon Thaksin.  Why no objections to coup leaders and their pardons?

• Thumbs Up 2