Antarctic ocean currents heading for collapse, report warns

Social Media

• 2 weeks later...

If this happens we are doomed.

A collapse of the North Atlantic and Antarctic overturning circulations would profoundly alter the anatomy of the world’s oceans. It would make them fresher at depth, deplete them of oxygen, and starve the upper ocean of the upwelling of nutrients provided when deep waters resurface from the ocean abyss. The implications for marine ecosystems would be profound.

https://theconversation.com/a-huge-atlantic-ocean-current-is-slowing-down-if-it-collapses-la-nina-could-become-the-norm-for-australia-184254

• Like 1

Make up your mind ...

... GW or GC (cooling)

"Previous research suggests a slowdown in the North Atlantic current could cause Europe to become colder."

Either way, I'm sure it's all Doom & Gloom, and they'll need to raise taxes to save us ... ????

Reads like their best 'guesses' are just that...'guesses'.

That every changing science ... ????

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Make up your mind ...

... GW or GC (cooling)

That issue was decided long ago. Even in the 1970, when climatology as a science was just beginning, far more research supported warming than cooling. As more research was published the global cooling hypothesis vanished. Except for a few cranks who predicted that 1998 was as hot as it was ever going to get and that next decades would see cooling.

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That issue was decided long ago. Even in the 1970, when climatology as a science was just beginning, far more research supported warming than cooling. As more research was published the global cooling hypothesis vanished. Except for a few cranks who predicted that 1998 was as hot as it was ever going to get and that next decades would see cooling.

They sure are spending a lot of tax money on stuff any high school kid who pays attention in science class could tell you ...

... "Earth has experienced cold periods (informally referred to as “ice ages,” or "glacials") and warm periods (“interglacials”) on roughly 100,000-year cycles for at least the last 1 million years. The last of these ice age glaciations peaked* around 20,000 years ago"

Just now, KhunLA said:

They sure are spending a lot of tax money on stuff any high school kid who pays attention in science class could tell you ...

... "Earth has experienced cold periods (informally referred to as “ice ages,” or "glacials") and warm periods (“interglacials”) on roughly 100,000-year cycles for at least the last 1 million years. The last of these ice age glaciations peaked* around 20,000 years ago"

What is so difficult to understand about rate of change. If one bank offered you 1 percent interest after inflation and another offered 10 percent after inflation, would you say that there's no meaningful difference between the two offers since in both cases the amount of your money is going to increase?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What is so difficult to understand about rate of change. If one bank offered you 1 percent interest after inflation and another offered 10 percent after inflation, would you say that there's no meaningful difference between the two offers since in both cases the amount of your money is going to increase?

Better, more accurate, if you said;

Bank 1 might offer this

Bank 2 might offer that

But neither can be sure of anything in the future.  Pending the next new un-scientific study as silly as the last.

All they can say is, the planet is getting warming, and any idiot can tell you that.  It's a repetitive cycle.  

Maybe if I lived 1000 to 50,000 more years I'd be concerned, IF, they could even agree with each other.

Just another headline to chuckle with, along with WW3, next pandemic, election, political investigation, Oil crisis, water crisis, air crisis, gender crisis, and all equal the same ... DISTRACTION

Doom & Gloom is good ... for investors,  I made a nice tidy sum w/Y2K & oil crisis.

Just now, KhunLA said:

Better, more accurate, if you said;

Bank 1 might offer this

Bank 2 might offer that

But neither can be sure of anything in the future.  Pending the next new un-scientific study as silly as the last.

All they can say is, the planet is getting warming, and any idiot can tell you that.  It's a repetitive cycle.  

Maybe if I lived 1000 to 50,000 more years I'd be concerned, IF, they could even agree with each other.

Just another headline to chuckle with, along with WW3, next pandemic, election, political investigation, Oil crisis, water crisis, air crisis, gender crisis, and all equal the same ... DISTRACTION

Doom & Gloom is good ... for investors,  I made a nice tidy sum w/Y2K & oil crisis.

You still don't understand about rapid rate of change. Climatologists predicted it would happen and it did. There hasn't been anything like it for at least the last 125,000 years.

Earth hasn't been this hot in 125,000 years, but scientists say temps are rising much faster now

Climate change is warming the planet, but not since the last interglacial period — almost 125,000 years ago — has it been this hot, according to scientists.

While the planet wouldn't have been inhospitable to humans at that time, temperatures would have been 1 to 2 C above pre-industrial times — and up to 8 C higher in the Arctic.

The difference is that the last time the climate warmed to these levels, it did so over tens of thousands of years, allowing species to adapt. Today, climate change is moving far faster.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/earth-as-hot-as-125-000-years-ago-election-countdown-reservation-dogs-afghanistan-under-siege-more-1.6139545/earth-hasn-t-been-this-hot-in-125-000-years-but-scientists-say-temps-are-rising-much-faster-now-1.6139550

26 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It isn't that the right wing have trouble dealing with the science. It's obvious to anybody with half a brain that warming in one part of the planet could conceivably cause cooling in another. Especially with breakdowns in the jetstream and currents. The issue is politics. You'll never get sense out of someone who refuses to engage in good faith science based debate for political reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You still don't understand about rapid rate of change.

You still don't seem to understand, I just don't care about a 1°-1.5°C 'possible' rise in temp (which has leveled off last 6 yrs), but 'MAYBE' temp rise in the next 100 yrs, that I or my daughter won't even be around for.

So either one of us will not be able to say ... "see, I told you".   

I'm not going to notice if it's 36°C instead of 35°C next year, 5 yrs or 10 yrs away.   It's all the same .... feels like ... DAMN HOT.

image.png.d99d1499997dbef1c7675cd48f150bec.png

Just now, KhunLA said:

You still don't seem to understand, I just don't care about a 1°-1.5°C 'possible' rise in temp (which has leveled off last 6 yrs), but 'MAYBE' temp rise in the next 100 yrs, that I or my daughter won't even be around for.

I'm not going to notice if it's 36°C instead of 35°C next year, 5 yrs or 10 yrs away.   It's all the same .... feels like ... DAMN HOT.

'If you truly don't care, then what are doing here? But of course that BS. You've got your own agenda based on what looks like ideolaogy and an almost utter lack of knowledge. Funny, when it comes to EV's you provide all kinds of data and links. But here, you've got nothing but falsehoods and ignorance to offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe you should publish the results of your lack of research in "The Journal of I Don't Care"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

'If you truly don't care, then what are doing here? But of course that BS. You've got your own agenda based on what looks like ideolaogy and an almost utter lack of knowledge. Funny, when it comes to EV's you provide all kinds of data and links. But here, you've got nothing but falsehoods and ignorance to offer.

Only here to troll. On other topics (non political) I have a lot of respect for his opinion but not this topic. Those who can't produce science to support their arguments are relegated to trolling.

Edited by ozimoron

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I didn't think my 'knowledge' is any different than those scientist, since pinching the #s from them.   Do they not predict a 'possible' temp rise of about a 1°-1.5°C over the next 100 or so years.

I'm not stating anything different, just that I don't care.

If that temp rise causes you great concern, then feel free to worry away at your leisure.  It doesn't concern me.

Same as those rising seas, as we won't be oceanfront for 9000 yrs, I think I calculated at the silly rate of rise, they're predicting.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I didn't think my 'knowledge' is any different than those scientist, since pinching the #s from them.   Do they not predict a 'possible' temp rise of about a 1°-1.5°C over the next 100 or so years.

I'm not stating anything different, just that I don't care.

If that temp rise causes you great concern, then feel free to worry away at your leisure.  It doesn't concern me.

Same as those rising seas, as we won't be oceanfront for 9000 yrs, I think I calculated at the silly rate of rise, they're predicting.

They now predict a rise about double that and the time span is way before 100 years.

19 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Only here to troll.

Just commenting on their now, very silly, cooling concern.  Which confirms, to me anyway, yes, it's getting warmer, but they still don't know 'exactly' how, why when and now where it will all happen or what true effect it will have.

Or are y'all missing the ever present, in every doom & gloom scenerio, the 'it could trigger' .... 'may happen' .... 'possible bla bla bla'.

Not reading ... 'in year 2033, the gulf stream/NAC will cool and the UK will have bitter cold weather all year.   Just the usual .. ''it could trigger' .... 'may happen' .... 'possible bla bla bla'."   Pretty sure that's called an escape clause when it doesn't happen.

Only one thing for certain ...  Just that it won't be in my life time, and is all I care, or don't care about.

Edited by KhunLA

Even if climate change is true from the way we live right now everyone just glosses over so many facts. Coming from a Thai forum how can any of you suggest improvements which will literally end the life of so many thais who burn, smoke, use LPG etc for their basic needs. 

Besides all the crap suggested no one ever talks about how the top 17 cargo vessels pollute the world more than the entire fleet of cars on earth and how once ships are offshore they use dirty fuel.

Better we kill off the scumbag poor humans lighting fires and their diesel trucks right but omit you buying your crap from Lazada contributing to cargo ship pollution 

Isnt it weird banks still do loans for ocean front properties? 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They now predict a rise about double that and the time span is way before 100 years.

And then there is this little tidbit ...  

,,, got to live the 'theoretically & unlikely' part.

image.png.8827fa443f0ecba23b31489b63bbaf95.png

Along with this little tidbit, IF things happen to 'slow' the rise, get to save a whole 0.3°C,   I'm leaning toward the above photo ... 'unlikely to happen'

image.png.df2bc1b9e7f73e3108360969817e2174.png

Edited by KhunLA

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How does an ocean current "collapse"? I can understand stop or change direction, but collapse?

If a current changes direction - it is still a current.

However if it "collapses" it means it ceases to flow.

In reality the Antarctic is a system of currents that help to maintain climates..It is the source of many currents both warm and cold.

In the Northern hemisphere - for instance it is why the sea around Southwest England and parts ofScotland is relatively warm allowing some places to be frost free whilst on the same Latitude as Edmonton in Canada

So, the Antarctic Circumpolar Current (ACC) which is the world's largest ocean current, would have significant implications for global climate and ocean circulation patterns if it were to collapse

It could lead to changes in sea level, temperature, and precipitation patterns around the world. The ACC acts as a barrier between cold polar waters and warmer subantarctic waters, which helps to maintain the balance of ocean circulation and the Earth's climate.

Without the ACC, the global climate system could become disrupted, leading to changes in weather patterns, ocean chemistry, and marine ecosystems. For example, changes in ocean chemistry could affect the ability of marine organisms to build their shells, which would have ripple effects throughout the food chain.

Just now, KhunLA said:

And then there is this little tidbit ...  

image.png.8827fa443f0ecba23b31489b63bbaf95.png

Along with this little tidbit, IF things happen to 'slow' the rise, get to save a whole 0.3°C,   I'm leaning toward the above photo ... 'unlikely to happen'

image.png.df2bc1b9e7f73e3108360969817e2174.png

Lovely partially readable quote but you don't seem to e able to put it into any context - what is your point and how do you think this single quote supports it?

9 minutes ago, lextsy said:

Even if climate change is true from the way we live right now everyone just glosses over so many facts. Coming from a Thai forum how can any of you suggest improvements which will literally end the life of so many thais who burn, smoke, use LPG etc for their basic needs

It looks like you are completely out of touch - one of the whole points of understanding climate change ids putting forward alternative to the current situation.....I'm susrprised you haven't heard of them.

12 minutes ago, lextsy said:

how can any of you suggest improvements which will literally end the life of so many thais who burn, smoke, use LPG etc for their basic needs. 

Global warming is a complex issue that requires a multifaceted approach to address. While it is important to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change, it is also crucial to take into consideration the impact of these efforts on people's lives, particularly those who are economically disadvantaged and depend on certain practices for their basic needs.

Here are some suggestions for improvements to global warming activities that can minimize the negative impact on people's lives:

Increase access to clean energy: One way to reduce the use of fossil fuels and improve air quality is by increasing access to clean energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power. Governments can provide subsidies and incentives to encourage the adoption of clean energy technologies, and invest in infrastructure to make clean energy more widely available.

Provide education and training: Education and training programs can help people transition to cleaner and more sustainable practices. For example, communities can be trained in efficient cooking practices that reduce the need for burning solid fuels, or in the installation and maintenance of solar panels and other clean energy technologies.

Improve waste management: Proper waste management practices can reduce the amount of methane and other greenhouse gases produced by landfills. Governments can invest in waste-to-energy technologies, encourage recycling and composting, and regulate the disposal of hazardous waste.

Implement policies that prioritize social equity: When designing policies and initiatives to address climate change, it is important to prioritize social equity and ensure that vulnerable communities are not disproportionately affected. For example, policies can be designed to provide financial support and resources to low-income communities to help them transition to clean energy.

Encourage behavior change: Finally, it is important to encourage behavior change and promote a culture of sustainability. This can be done through public education campaigns, incentives for sustainable behavior, and by creating a sense of community around sustainable practices.

Overall, it is important to take a holistic approach to addressing global warming that considers both the environmental impact and the impact on people's lives. By prioritizing social equity and investing in clean energy, waste management, and behavior change, we can work towards a more sustainable future that benefits everyone.

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Just commenting on their now, very silly, cooling concern.  Which confirms, to me anyway, yes, it's getting warmer, but they still don't know 'exactly' how, why when and now where it will all happen or what true effect it will have.

Or are y'all missing the ever present, in every doom & gloom scenerio, the 'it could trigger' .... 'may happen' .... 'possible bla bla bla'.

Not reading ... 'in year 2033, the gulf stream/NAC will cool and the UK will have bitter cold weather all year.   Just the usual .. ''it could trigger' .... 'may happen' .... 'possible bla bla bla'."   Pretty sure that's called an escape clause when it doesn't happen.

Only one thing for certain ...  Just that it won't be in my life time, and is all I care, or don't care about.

If the gulf stream ceases Australia is likely to have a permanent La Nina which means more rain and flooding. The collapse in the gulf stream is caused by global warming, similar to the collapse of the polar vortex causing colder weather south of the arctic than in the arctic itself

14 minutes ago, lextsy said:

Even if climate change is true from the way we live right now everyone just glosses over so many facts. Coming from a Thai forum how can any of you suggest improvements which will literally end the life of so many thais who burn, smoke, use LPG etc for their basic needs. 

Besides all the crap suggested no one ever talks about how the top 17 cargo vessels pollute the world more than the entire fleet of cars on earth and how once ships are offshore they use dirty fuel.

Better we kill off the scumbag poor humans lighting fires and their diesel trucks right but omit you buying your crap from Lazada contributing to cargo ship pollution 

Isnt it weird banks still do loans for ocean front properties? 

At 0.6cm per year not really, no.