Dutch Man Arrested at Phuket Airport for Entering and Staying in Thailand Without Proper Documents

webfact

12 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I would hazard he did a border run to British Malaya, was refused re-entry to Thailand and just walked across anyway.

Nobody is checking the flow of ppl esp. in Dannok (Sadao)

At some point he tried to leave (via air) and this is where it's at now.

My hunch anyway.

Crossing the border illegally is an absolutely terrible idea, as you won't have a Permit to stay stamp in your passport, and any check of your Passport by police would result in you being arrested, fined and deported.  And if you have stayed a considerable time in Thailand, slipping back same way to Malaysia would also be to no avail as your Permit to stay there would also have expired in mean time, creating the same problem. 

He probably thought that buying a flight-ticket out of the country would solve the problem, but of course border-Immigration would have to stamp him 'out' and would almost certainly see that he has no 'in' stamp as they are routinely checking for overstay. 

Maybe he did it deliberately being tired of his illegal status and knowing full well that it would result in him being deported back to his home-country. 

I thought that if I had a valid Passport and was only going to Thailand for 30 days or less I

would not need a visa.

Am I wrong? Does this fellow have a valid passport  and does he have an out bound ticket

back to the UK in less than a month?

Just wondering.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I would hazard he did a border run to British Malaya, was refused re-entry to Thailand and just walked across anyway.

Nobody is checking the flow of ppl esp. in Dannok (Sadao)

At some point he tried to leave (via air) and this is where it's at now.

My hunch anyway.

They could have sailed here, From Langkowi to Phuket 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

No, they say she was arrested "in a similar case" as in, she too didn't have any documents and they don't know how she entered Thailand either.

One possible explanation could be that they sold their passports to extend their stay and then tried to fly out of the country, not realizing that they'd be stopped at Immigration.

Most people claim their passport was "stolen" and get emergency travel docs from their embassy before trying to leave the country.

As for this guy, the "yakuza" tats should be a hint. Why you would go to an airport dressed like that is beyond me.

I recall travelling to Thailand one year on Japan Airlines and had to sit next to a guy that had been refused entry to the US. He'd tried to be sneaky by flying from Australia to Japan, changing airlines, flying to Canada, changing airlines again and then trying to fly into the US.

He didn't realize that there is a US Customs and Immigration checkpoint inside the Vancouver airport. As he was walking down the hall towards the (USA) departure gates, he took off his jacket and all his biker tats were visible.

It seems they took one look at him and then hauled him off to the side for questioning. Turns out he didn't have a Visa to enter the US. He tried to claim that his girlfriend in Seattle had it and was meeting him at the airport. (Lol - like they were going to believe that line of bull.)

Because he was refused entry to the US and still in the Departure area, he was held in custody until he could be flown back to his last airport of departure, which was Japan. No idea what happened to him after that. (Didn't ask, didn't care.)

He told you that story whilst sat next to him.? ????

• Haha 2