Non immigrant O 1 year extension fail

Hi.

I have only 52 days for my 400k when i need to get my new extension from Chiangmai immigration.

Can I still apply for my extension, it fail and then apply again, when the money would be seasoned?

Has anyone experienced a failure in applying for extension did you have to leave? Could you reapply?

If this is not a possibility how would a border bounce work coming back in on a 15 day tourist visa and extending to marriage non O?

Much appreciated.

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you are only eligible for a 15-day visa on arrival (not a 30-day visa exemption) you will not be able to resolve your problem with a border bounce. The visa on arrival is not extendable, and cannot be used to apply for a "conversion" Non O visa at Immigration on the basis of marriage. Your best solution will probably be to go to Savannakhet Laos for a Non O visa (giving a 90 day permission to stay) followed by one-year extensions in the normal way.

A (risky) alternative is to discuss this with Chiang Mai immigration with a view to overstaying until the funds are seasoned, pay the overstay fine, and get the extension then.

After a denied extension request, and being given seven days to leave the country, a subsequent application for an extension will be refused out of hand.

EDIT (should have mentioned this first): Have you ever received the 60-day extension to visit your Thai spouse? If not, use that now. It does not require financial proof, and will solve your problem.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Do you know first hand or by policy, that a failed extension means another extension is dead on arrival, or is this conjecture on your part?

Ive used up my 60 day in this continued stay.

Someone else mentioned border bounce and this did seem unlikely.

I guess a visit to Laos it is.

Regards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

Hi.

I have only 52 days for my 400k when i need to get my new extension from Chiangmai immigration

Assume you mean that your current permit expires in 52 days.

Immigration requires 2 months of seasoning 

Your application would be rejected.

Obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife.

That provides required time.

Edit: just noticed OP has used his 60 day extension.

Border bounce does not help as you would then need to do a new non O marriage 

Edited by DrJack54

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Assume you mean that your current permit expires in 52 days.

Immigration requires 2 months of seasoning 

Your application would be rejected.

Obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife.

That provides required time.

Edit: just noticed OP has used his 60 day extension.

Border bounce does not help as you would then need to do a new non O marriage 

Not quite, i have my visa end on the 7th april on that day i will have only 53 days of 400k in the bank, i was ill with covid as i was about to transfer and that caused the issue.

Is there any possibility of swapping to a visa for support of children?

Kind regards

1 hour ago, proton said:

Chinese woman round the corner had similar problem, but not quite the 400k, she just stuck 1k note in the passport handing it over, nothing was said and she got the extension. Or go the agent route.

And get nicked for bribery...................:huh:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

That may depend on immigration office. 

Personally I would attend immigration and outline your issue with the funds. 

They may be able to provide alternative. 

Extension based on support of family would take care of seasoning issue.

Here is thread with some comments on extension based on support of family.

Edited by DrJack54

18 minutes ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

Not quite, i have my visa end on the 7th april on that day i will have only 53 days of 400k in the bank, i was ill with covid as i was about to transfer and that caused the issue.

Kind regards

still need 400k in the bank for the right time

• Like 1

OP please clarify:

1. Your nationality (only a few nationalities get visa in arrival. More get visa exempt entry. Very different things). 

2. When did you originally enter Thailand and on what type of visa?

3. How many extensions have you done since then? And on what grounds, marriage or retirement? From your reference to "new extension" it sounds like you have been here on annual extensions of stay  and from the reference to 400k sounds like these were on grounds of marriage to a Thai, is that correct? In which case what expires 7 April is not a visa but an extension of stay? Please verify, it   makes a difference.

Also please clarify what you mean when you say you have used up your 60 day extendion. Is your current perrmission to stay, ending 7 April, the result if a prior 60 day extension? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

Ive used up my 60 day in this continued stay.

Someone else mentioned border bounce and this did seem unlikely.

Border bounce with a reentry permit would enable you to obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife as you are allowed one per entry to Thailand.

Very messy.

Chat with immigration. 

They may accommodate you. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Border bounce with a reentry permit would enable you to obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife as you are allowed one per entry to Thailand.

Very messy.

Chat with immigration. 

They may accommodate you. 

In this scenario, (please correct me if im wrong, if I understand you), I;

1)goto immigration apply for reentry permit. (Can do tomo 4th)

2)Leave to border (same day)

3)Enter back in. (Same day 4th)

4)Go to immigration apply for 60 day extension. 5th, 6th (7th last day of extension)

Are you suggesting immigration might not like it, thats why its messy, and so best to confirm if this is acceptable?

Regards.

17 minutes ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

Thank you, its greatly appreciated.

Yes, ive done many covid 60 day, 1 marriage 60 day and 2x 1 year extensions. With this current extension ending on the 7th.

Im not worried specifically about the perceptions of immigration or the flak recieved, but it is noted.

I think Laos might be the best option.

Regards

Laos is what I would do. Removes all uncertainty.

The "flak" on visa exempt entry sometimes extends to refusal. Not usually, but it can. And questioning can go on for hours. Personally I would not want to go through that or risk it.

In Vientiane  believe may need an appointment, check prior threads on applying for non-O based on marriage in Laos. And make sure to have all required documents with you.

1 hour ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

I thought you needed 400k, but had seen others discuss not needing a 60 day timeframe. Again it was hearsay.

When apply for a 1-year extension based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of dependant children you ONLY need the 400K on your personal Thai Bank-Account at the moment of application. So doing such application would solve the issue for you.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Laos is what I would do. Removes all uncertainty.

The "flak" on visa exempt entry sometimes extends to refusal. Not usually, but it can. And questioning can go on for hours. Personally I would not want to go through that or risk it.

In Vientiane  believe may need an appointment, check prior threads on applying for non-O based on marriage in Laos. And make sure to have all required documents with you.

I discovered, the hard way, that you definitely need to make an appointment in Vientiane.
So I went to Hanoi in February - no queues, was seen right away ( and the ladies in the visa department were courteous, friendly and helpful). I collected the visa three days later.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

I think Laos might be the best option.

And specifically Savannakhet for a new multi-entry non-O visa, I think - recent report below:-

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

When apply for a 1-year extension based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of dependant children you ONLY need the 400K on your personal Thai Bank-Account at the moment of application. So doing such application would solve the issue for you.

Clarification for 'confused' Somebody.

OP wrote that even if he waits till last day of his current Permission to stay, he will only have his 400K seasoned for 52 days when applying for his 1-year extension of stay. 

And when he applies for reason of marriage to a Thai national 60 days of seasoning are required of those funds at the day of application, which means such application for reason of marriage will not be accepted as he does not meet the requirements. . 

However OP also wrote that he has two dependant children (I presume they have Thai nationality), which makes him eligible to apply for a 1-year extension for reason of dependant children.  When doing so, the +400K only needs to be available on his personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application with no seasoning required.

So doing that will solve the whole issue.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 1