Warning, Keto, low carb

scubascuba3

On 4/5/2023 at 4:18 PM, TimeMachine said:

I've tried near zero carb keto diet always making sure I was in ketosis with test and along with exercise. I felt the best. Problem is sticking with keto is hard due to the expense and inconvenience. How many keto cafes are out there. Zero. It's all wheat and sugar because that's where the money is. Have to be a full time cook if you want to be serious about low carb. There's also the addictiveness of sugars and other additives put together with that evil weed wheat. 

"Near zero" carbs isn't a good strategy.  It's limiting your carbs to under 50 grams net* per day which will put you into mild to moderate ketosis over time. Going to extremes isn't a good approach.  When you body is in ketosis it will use your own fat as its source of energy (visible as well as visceral fat).  In my own opinion - a Keto Diet is not a long-term endeavor, but a diet that is used in moderation (like 2 or 3 months per year) and as an approach to holistic health and bio-hacking (fasting and well-balanced diets in moderation). 

*net - Carbs from fiber is not factor. In fact - fiber is good.

I have tried keto. The biggest issue for me is that health authorities these days now recommend a maximum of 300 gm of red meat a week. Anything more leaves you susceptible to cancer. I'm not interested in seeing protestations that it doesn't as this advice can be fount on websites from the UK, US and Australian governments as well as Mayo Clinic, Harvard Health and the Cleveland Clinic, as well as various dietary associations world wide. As such, I have decided to avoid red meat altogether. A keto diet without red meat requires very careful planning and still leaves issues like zinc deficiency.

For me, I have determined that the Mediterranean diet, which is most commonly recommended by health authorities these days, is the ideal diet, with low carbs, mainly derived from fruit and beans. Most of my meat is sardines and fish. I eat some cheese and very small amounts of rice on the occasions when I do eat Thai food. I know my carb intake is still too high but I rely on regular gym exercise, walking and intermittent fasting to mitigate the carbs.

I'm steadily losing weight, just over 70 Kg for 173 cm. I imagine progressive increases in muscle strength from the gym is keeping my weight from falling faster.

On 4/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, Walker88 said:

As for keto, it has other downsides, such as messing up neurotransmitters like serotonin. That can, and often does, result in depression. Serotonin is also involved in sleep quality and blood pressure regulation. Keto can also mess up how the body utilizes/produces insulin, which is why many people---once off keto---show rapid regaining of weight and especially fat.

Really.  I'm not dismissing what you say - but?  Source it and cite it.
If you can't do that then it's your own hear-say. 

Interesting though.  I'm going to go look that up myself. 

On 4/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, Walker88 said:

As for keto, it has other downsides, such as messing up neurotransmitters like serotonin. That can, and often does, result in depression. Serotonin is also involved in sleep quality and blood pressure regulation. Keto can also mess up how the body utilizes/produces insulin, which is why many people---once off keto---show rapid regaining of weight and especially fat.

Source and cite:

Ketogenic Diets for Adult Neurological Disorders
Tanya J W McDonald  1 , Mackenzie C Cervenka  2
Affiliations
 PMID: 30225789 PMCID: PMC6277302 DOI: 10.1007/s13311-018-0666-8
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30225789/

Abstract

The current review highlights the evidence supporting the use of ketogenic diet therapies in the management of a growing number of neurological disorders in adults. An overview of the scientific literature supporting posited mechanisms of therapeutic efficacy is presented including effects on neurotransmission, oxidative stress, and neuro-inflammation. The clinical evidence supporting ketogenic diet use in the management of adult epilepsy, malignant glioma, Alzheimer's disease, migraine headache, motor neuron disease, and other neurologic disorders is highlighted and reviewed. Lastly, common adverse effects of ketogenic therapy in adults, including gastrointestinal symptoms, weight loss, and transient dyslipidemia are discussed.

Excepts from the study:
"They found a significant moderate benefit (25-50% seizure reduction) in the diet group compared to controls, but no significant difference in ≥ 50% seizure reduction between groups (no difference in the proportion of responders to diet versus standard medical management).

Overall, patients with stable ketosis showed a trend towards an increase in survival without tumor progression

In sum, the preliminary clinical evidence suggests that ketogenic therapies including ketogenic diets and/or supplements designed to induce metabolic ketosis may improve cognitive outcomes in patients with AD.

Although these have yet to be studied clinically for ALS, preclinical work in rodent ALS models suggests that these approaches improve mitochondrial metabolism, reduce motor neuron toxicity, improve or delay motor symptoms/disease progression, and in some cases extend survival.

Ketogenic diets have also been shown to significantly dampen motor disability and memory dysfunction by preventing inflammation and enhancing neuroprotection in a murine model of multiple sclerosis (MS)."

And a caveat:  Nothing in this research says a Keto diet does wonders for Neurological Disorders.  What it states is that evidence suggests that it has a positive impact on some disorders and not others and should be further investigated.

Insulin Resistance and weight-loss.  Again, read the study.  It primarily states that positive effects are observed but further study is warranted as do most of these studies.

Effect of the ketogenic diet on glycemic control, insulin resistance, and lipid metabolism in patients with T2DM: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Xiaojie Yuan, Jiping Wang, Shuo Yang, Mei Gao, Lingxia Cao, Xumei Li, Dongxu Hong, Suyan Tian, Chenglin Sun
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33257645/
Results: After KD intervention, in terms of glycemic control, the level of fasting blood glucose decreased by 1.29 mmol/L (95% CI: -1.78 to -0.79) on average, and glycated hemoglobin A1c by 1.07 (95% CI: -1.37 to -0.78). As for lipid metabolism, triglyceride was decreased by 0.72 (95% CI: -1.01 to -0.43) on average, total cholesterol by 0.33 (95% CI: -0.66 to -0.01), and low-density lipoprotein by 0.05 (95% CI: -0.25 to -0.15); yet, high-density lipoprotein increased by 0.14 (95% CI: 0.03-0.25). In addition, patients' weight decreased by 8.66 (95% CI: -11.40 to -5.92), waist circumference by 9.17 (95% CI: -10.67 to -7.66), and BMI by 3.13 (95% CI: -3.31 to -2.95).

Conclusion: KD not only has a therapeutic effect on glycemic and lipid control among patients with T2DM but also significantly contributes to their weight loss.

Caloric restriction and depression:
Effect of caloric restriction on depression
Stephen Malunga Manchishi, Ran Ji Cui, Xiao Han Zo, Zi Qian Cheng, Bing Jin Li
Affiliations
PMID: 29465826 PMCID: PMC5908110 DOI: 10.1111/jcmm.13418
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29465826/

Abstract

Recently, most of evidence shows that caloric restriction could induce antidepressant-like effects in animal model of depression. Based on studies of the brain-gut axis, some signal pathways were common between the control of caloric restriction and depression. However, the specific mechanism of the antidepressant-like effects induced by caloric restriction remains unclear. Therefore, in this article, we summarized clinical and experimental studies of caloric restriction on depression. This review may provide a new therapeutic strategy for depression.

Source and cite otherwise it is hear-say and opinion.  :thumbsup:

By the way - CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, Youtube, and Fat-4Chans-for-Keto (I made that up), etc., are not scientific studies and are as only as good as the studies they cite.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I have tried keto. The biggest issue for me is that health authorities these days now recommend a maximum of 300 gm of red meat a week. Anything more leaves you susceptible to cancer. I'm not interested in seeing protestations that it doesn't as this advice can be fount on websites from the UK, US and Australian governments as well as Mayo Clinic, Harvard Health and the Cleveland Clinic, as well as various dietary associations world wide. As such, I have decided to avoid red meat altogether. A keto diet without red meat requires very careful planning and still leaves issues like zinc deficiency.

Govt sites are full of disinfo.

Red meat is the healthiest meat and linking red meat to cancer is bs fake science. 

Remember, it was the govt in the US that put out the Food Pyramid, and that started making people really fat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Red meat is the healthiest meat and linking red meat to cancer is bs fake science. 

Remember, it was the govt in the US that put out the Food Pyramid, and that started making people really fat.

So, what was modern science 50 years ago can never be dispelled? In other words, science never advances?

When medical departments in universities say it causes cancer it causes cancer. End of.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Source and cite:

Ketogenic Diets for Adult Neurological Disorders
Tanya J W McDonald  1 , Mackenzie C Cervenka  2
Affiliations
 PMID: 30225789 PMCID: PMC6277302 DOI: 10.1007/s13311-018-0666-8
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30225789/

Abstract

The current review highlights the evidence supporting the use of ketogenic diet therapies in the management of a growing number of neurological disorders in adults. An overview of the scientific literature supporting posited mechanisms of therapeutic efficacy is presented including effects on neurotransmission, oxidative stress, and neuro-inflammation. The clinical evidence supporting ketogenic diet use in the management of adult epilepsy, malignant glioma, Alzheimer's disease, migraine headache, motor neuron disease, and other neurologic disorders is highlighted and reviewed. Lastly, common adverse effects of ketogenic therapy in adults, including gastrointestinal symptoms, weight loss, and transient dyslipidemia are discussed.

Excepts from the study:
"They found a significant moderate benefit (25-50% seizure reduction) in the diet group compared to controls, but no significant difference in ≥ 50% seizure reduction between groups (no difference in the proportion of responders to diet versus standard medical management).

Overall, patients with stable ketosis showed a trend towards an increase in survival without tumor progression

In sum, the preliminary clinical evidence suggests that ketogenic therapies including ketogenic diets and/or supplements designed to induce metabolic ketosis may improve cognitive outcomes in patients with AD.

Although these have yet to be studied clinically for ALS, preclinical work in rodent ALS models suggests that these approaches improve mitochondrial metabolism, reduce motor neuron toxicity, improve or delay motor symptoms/disease progression, and in some cases extend survival.

Ketogenic diets have also been shown to significantly dampen motor disability and memory dysfunction by preventing inflammation and enhancing neuroprotection in a murine model of multiple sclerosis (MS)."

And a caveat:  Nothing in this research says a Keto diet does wonders for Neurological Disorders.  What it states is that evidence suggests that it has a positive impact on some disorders and not others and should be further investigated.

Insulin Resistance and weight-loss.  Again, read the study.  It primarily states that positive effects are observed but further study is warranted as do most of these studies.

Effect of the ketogenic diet on glycemic control, insulin resistance, and lipid metabolism in patients with T2DM: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Xiaojie Yuan, Jiping Wang, Shuo Yang, Mei Gao, Lingxia Cao, Xumei Li, Dongxu Hong, Suyan Tian, Chenglin Sun
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33257645/
Results: After KD intervention, in terms of glycemic control, the level of fasting blood glucose decreased by 1.29 mmol/L (95% CI: -1.78 to -0.79) on average, and glycated hemoglobin A1c by 1.07 (95% CI: -1.37 to -0.78). As for lipid metabolism, triglyceride was decreased by 0.72 (95% CI: -1.01 to -0.43) on average, total cholesterol by 0.33 (95% CI: -0.66 to -0.01), and low-density lipoprotein by 0.05 (95% CI: -0.25 to -0.15); yet, high-density lipoprotein increased by 0.14 (95% CI: 0.03-0.25). In addition, patients' weight decreased by 8.66 (95% CI: -11.40 to -5.92), waist circumference by 9.17 (95% CI: -10.67 to -7.66), and BMI by 3.13 (95% CI: -3.31 to -2.95).

Conclusion: KD not only has a therapeutic effect on glycemic and lipid control among patients with T2DM but also significantly contributes to their weight loss.

Caloric restriction and depression:
Effect of caloric restriction on depression
Stephen Malunga Manchishi, Ran Ji Cui, Xiao Han Zo, Zi Qian Cheng, Bing Jin Li
Affiliations
PMID: 29465826 PMCID: PMC5908110 DOI: 10.1111/jcmm.13418
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29465826/

Abstract

Recently, most of evidence shows that caloric restriction could induce antidepressant-like effects in animal model of depression. Based on studies of the brain-gut axis, some signal pathways were common between the control of caloric restriction and depression. However, the specific mechanism of the antidepressant-like effects induced by caloric restriction remains unclear. Therefore, in this article, we summarized clinical and experimental studies of caloric restriction on depression. This review may provide a new therapeutic strategy for depression.

Source and cite otherwise it is hear-say and opinion.  :thumbsup:

By the way - CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, Youtube, and Fat-4Chans-for-Keto (I made that up), etc., are not scientific studies and are as only as good as the studies they cite.

When you thought you finely got it right, 

The study, which gathered evidence from 361 peer-reviewed scientific studies, found no link between depression and serotonin levels in the blood

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/what-causes-depression-not-low-serotonin-levels-science-says/a-62681480

Depression is a bit more complexed, as well what you cultivate in your brain. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

But thew science that researches keto isn't the exact same $? Or any diet?

Not sure where all the info for each diet is coming from.

Govt was scaring people off eggs with the cholesterol scare --> Kellogg's breakfast cereals are big business. 

Take a look at the nutritional profile of red meat. It contains almost every nutrient.

Edited by save the frogs

6 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Govt was scaring people off eggs with the cholesterol scare --> Kellogg's breakfast cereals are big business. 

Take a look at the nutritional profile of red meat. It contains almost every nutrient.

I'm not denying that red meat is not nutritious. That's not my point. I'm just saying that when every govt and health related institution's websites contain the same warning about cancer caused by red meat I take notice. To suggest that all science is tainted by dirty money is frogsh!t. That's just plain old logic.

Some people can't and won't change their diet no matter what. I'm not one of those people.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

All this fancy musli and other breakfest mixes, horrible.

Plain Oats is the best nutrients you can eat as well cheap. I eat only 30g for breakfest, with a few nuts, a banana and little bit youghurt. If I have blueberries, I add that to, or a few grapes. The key is moderation.

Oats have 51 grams of carbs, 13 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, and 8 grams of fiber in 1 cup. This same serving has only 303 calories. This means that oats are among the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat. Oats are rich in carbs and fiber, but also higher in protein and fat than most other grains

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-benefits-oats-oatmeal

IMG_20230406_112041.jpg

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

To suggest that all science is tainted by dirty money is frogsh!t.

Maybe not all, but maybe some science gets reported more and some less.

And trustworthy sources aren't necessarily the most trustworthy.

Red meat is a particularly complex issue because it's connected with climate change.

And they seem to be going down the path of banning red meat for climate change.

Hence the onslaught of skewed science regarding red meat, in my opinion. 

If you read this, it shows exactly HOW they come up with the fake claims in their studies. 

https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/meat

Does red meat cause cancer?

If meat is so carcinogenic, why was cancer so uncommon until the last century or so? We are not eating any more meat now than we did a hundred years ago, yet cancer incidence is skyrocketing. So, why do we believe that meat causes cancer?

Edited by save the frogs

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Maybe not all, but maybe some science gets reported more and some less.

And trustworthy sources aren't necessarily the most trustworthy.

Red meat is a particularly complex issue because it's connected with climate change.

And they seem to be going down the path of banning red meat for climate change.

Hence the onslaught of skewed science regarding red meat, in my opinion. 

If you read this, it shows exactly HOW they come up with the fake claims in their studies. 

https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/meat

Does red meat cause cancer?

If meat is so carcinogenic, why was cancer so uncommon until the last century or so? We are not eating any more meat now than we did a hundred years ago, yet cancer incidence is skyrocketing. So, why do we believe that meat causes cancer

Please proactively reduce your font sizes. It isn't hard.

Meat consumption is increasing. A century ago people ate far more vegetables. Meat was also less processed than it is now.

https://sentientmedia.org/meat-consumption-in-the-us/

Meat consumption in the United States has nearly doubled in the last century. Americans are now among the top per capita meat consumers in the world; the average American eats more than three times the global average.1 A growing body of evidence suggests Americans’ taste for meat and animal products is putting them at greater risk for a range of health problems.

https://clf.jhsph.edu/projects/technical-and-scientific-resource-meatless-monday/meatless-monday-resources/meatless-monday-resourcesmeat-consumption-trends-and-health-implications

Overall meat consumption has continued to rise in the U.S., European Union, and developed world. Despite a shift toward higher poultry consumption, red meat still represents the largest proportion of meat consumed in the U.S (58%). Twenty-two percent of the meat consumed in the U.S. is processed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3045642/

_105471770_meat_map_v1_640-nc.png.webp

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-47057341

Science is maybe off for more than one reason, but most commonly is abuse of science by those who ordered, or those who make a spinn off of the science.

Today you can find analysis of anything that suits your belief, and if there is a YouTube,"Dr" who confirm your belief, bingo

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

This rather dumbed-down global society have now embraced 'experts' and have turned off their own minds which could easily be used to research a topic, like the Pros And Cons, of eating red meat, draw your own conclusions, and then act accordingly.

Instead nowadays.  "An Expert Told Me."  As my Mom would have said years ago in my youth, "If an expert told you to jump off of a cliff would you do it?"  What I find distressing is the fact that most people no longer care to think, read, and research. And even those who chose a technical skill and are highly skilled no longer have a broad educational background.  They are focused on what they are good at and as dumb as a sock full of rocks regarding most everything else. They just believe what they are told in the echo-chamber of their choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

This rather dumbed-down global society have now embraced 'experts' and have turned off their own minds which could easily be used to research a topic, like the Pros And Cons, of eating red meat, draw your own conclusions, and then act accordingly.

Instead nowadays.  "An Expert Told Me."  As my Mom would have said years ago in my youth, "If an expert told you to jump off of a cliff would you do it?"  What I find distressing is the fact that most people no longer care to think, read, and research. And even those who chose a technical skill and are highly skilled no longer have a broad educational background.  They are focused on what they are good at and as dumb as a sock full of rocks regarding most everything else. They just believe what they are told in the echo-chamber of their choice.

Just more conspiracy theory. Do you bother to send your children to school?

3 hours ago, connda said:

"Near zero" carbs isn't a good strategy.  It's limiting your carbs to under 50 grams net* per day which will put you into mild to moderate ketosis over time. Going to extremes isn't a good approach.  When you body is in ketosis it will use your own fat as its source of energy (visible as well as visceral fat).  In my own opinion - a Keto Diet is not a long-term endeavor, but a diet that is used in moderation (like 2 or 3 months per year) and as an approach to holistic health and bio-hacking (fasting and well-balanced diets in moderation). 

*net - Carbs from fiber is not factor. In fact - fiber is good.

Fair comments.

I'm a strong believer that in caveman days the diet most likely was meats, veg and fruit. While fruit is high in carbs I'm betting the diet was focused on meat as fruit may not have been available in some places and some times of the year. Things like wheat seem to be an economic enforcement rather than something that happened through natural selection of humanity. If there was a parent that brought their child up on extreme low carb diet, I'm guessing they would have a super clean and strong body into adulthood. I don't have kids. Anybody wish to offer their newly born kids up for this experiment. I've done years on zero carb and can't think it's done any damage to my body. There is no workshop manual to our bodies and we can only make our own choices. Some choose to smoke and drink because it gives them pleasure. I choose low carb so I can feel better that way. There is also genetic makeup. Some people can gobble down carbs and not put on weight, but they may also feel even healthier on low carb. I dunno, it's all a mystery. 

Enjoy your food, whatever you munch on tonight

• Like 1

...prolly not a good idea to stuff 5 rashers of bacon down your throat every day.....something's got to pop.

I have actually lost 6kg in a month on the Medditereanean/Greek diet.....coolio !.....4kg more to go...then its back on the beer and buffets...rinse/repeat.

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Fair comments.

I'm a strong believer that in caveman days the diet most likely was meats, veg and fruit. While fruit is high in carbs I'm betting the diet was focused on meat as fruit may not have been available in some places and some times of the year. Things like wheat seem to be an economic enforcement rather than something that happened through natural selection of humanity. If there was a parent that brought their child up on extreme low carb diet, I'm guessing they would have a super clean and strong body into adulthood. I don't have kids. Anybody wish to offer their newly born kids up for this experiment. I've done years on zero carb and can't think it's done any damage to my body. There is no workshop manual to our bodies and we can only make our own choices. Some choose to smoke and drink because it gives them pleasure. I choose low carb so I can feel better that way. There is also genetic makeup. Some people can gobble down carbs and not put on weight, but they may also feel even healthier on low carb. I dunno, it's all a mystery. 

Enjoy your food, whatever you munch on tonight

From what I understand, meat was not a huge feature of the paleo diet. What meat there was is more likely to have been fish, eggs, insects, lizards and the occasional wild game. Wild game isn't that easy to hunt and kill. There would have been much more foraging than hunting. Just my opinion. There wasn't cattle and sheep husbandry and the hunters were as likely to become food as kill it. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Just more conspiracy theory.

The FDA is a complete joke. I get the impression they're trolling the masses. 

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-proposes-updated-definition-healthy-claim-food-packages-help-improve-diet-reduce-chronic-disease

They just came up with a revised list of "healthy" food.

A breakfast cereal with 2.5 grams of added sugar makes the list!

Good luck with that. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

From what I understand, meat was not a huge feature of the paleo diet. What meat there was is more likely to have been fish, eggs, insects, lizards and the occasional wild game. Wild game isn't that easy to hunt and kill. There would have been much more foraging than hunting. Just my opinion. There wasn't cattle and sheep husbandry and the hunters were as likely to become food as kill it. Just my opinion.

Yeah. I'm guessing fish was the popular dish back then at cave cafes

Just now, TimeMachine said:

Yeah. I'm guessing fish was the popular dish back then at cave cafes

So many things humans did eat we are not aware of anymore. Just have a close look at the more less rural markeds in Asia, many of the same things you find in Europe to. Roots, leafs, wild vegetablea, insects, larvae, even fermentation they knew, as well mushrooms and different different grains. 

Humans was smaller and consumed less energy, and therefore required less food, and they lived way shorter than the modern human does.

20 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-proposes-updated-definition-healthy-claim-food-packages-help-improve-diet-reduce-chronic-disease

Good luck with that. 

Recommendations is often based on whats available resources. If everyone was going to eat super healthy? What would would happen?

21 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Good luck with that. 

There are many more credible sites that aren't the FDA. There seems to be a tendency around here to suggest that all of them are int he same boa6t and that we should listen to some random YouTuber for information.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Recommendations is often based on whats available resources. If everyone was going to eat super healthy? What would would happen?

The economy would crash and then we'd all be eating each other in the streets.

ie The Zombie Apocalypse would happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

The economy would crash and then we'd all be eating each other in the streets.

ie The Zombie Apocalypse would happen.

I know you're joking but there'd be a return to smaller grocery stores as the huge supermarkets would go broke as they mainly sell processed and packaged foods. All the fast food chains would disappear. The government health budget would shrink dramatically, freeing up money for other things like education. Only the rich would crash.

• Like 1