Report details ‘staggering’ church sex abuse in Maryland

onthedarkside

image.png.bd959660cc9c058407853502e0d21852.png

More than 150 Catholic priests and others associated with the Archdiocese of Baltimore sexually abused over 600 children and often escaped accountability, according to a long-awaited state report released Wednesday that revealed the scope of abuse spanning 80 years and accused church leaders of decades of coverups.

The report paints a damning picture of the archdiocese, which is the oldest Roman Catholic diocese in the country and spans much of Maryland.

Some parishes, schools and congregations had more than one abuser at the same time — including St. Mark Parish in Catonsville, which had 11 abusers living and working there between 1964 and 2004, one deacon admitted to molesting over 100 children.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/06/maryland-church-sex-abuse-report-00090786

image.png.69b028a35ab5acdba9c380e8a6f60ec5.png

• Sad 1

The churches need to be shut down. Period. They were past their use by date centuries ago. Now they are nothing more than a criminal sex abuse protection racket. Do you wonder why I'm an atheist? Read this and weep. Weep for the victims. It isn't just the minority either. These reports are coming out over and over again. It's a secret cult of evil. Religious people lead a wholesome life? These hypocrites lecture the rest of us about our immoral ways. Just human detritus.

That has to be the biggest joke ever if it wasn't so sad. What's the case for allowing this evil to continue? Nothing makes me angrier than church sanctioned sex abuse. One of my best friends was abused in a church boarding school and he committed suicide at a young age after threatening to do it for years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The churches need to be shut down. Period. They were past their use by date centuries ago. Now they are nothing more than a criminal sex abuse protection racket. Do you wonder why I'm an atheist? Read this and weep. Weep for the victims. It isn't just the minority either. These reports are coming out over and over again. It's a secret cult of evil. Religious people lead a wholesome life? These hypocrites lecture the rest of us about our immoral ways. Just human detritus.

That has to be the biggest joke ever if it wasn't so sad. What's the case for allowing this evil to continue? Nothing makes me angrier than church sanctioned sex abuse. One of my best friends was abused in a church boarding school and he committed suicide at a young age after threatening to do it for years.

Thanks.  That is very well said.   Unfortunately, most people will gravitate to some form of worship, and the men leading it may be very bad.