New permaculture Farmer, but more than 10 years gathered info before start, I tried now my knowledge regarding pesticides...

There is some other stuff I tried and it works mechanically not toxic.

Diatomaceous Earth (Kieselguhr)

It sound a bit chemically but it is 100% natural.

It is made of sediments from the sea bed, like algae and shells which have been turned into hard grit over millions of years.

The handling is a bit tricky because of the high silica contains which is not healthy if inhaled, so a face mask is required.

It is sold via Lazada at around 300 baht a 400ml bottle.

For the same amount of money you can get 100% Diatomaceous Earth oil absorbent, which is precisely the same stuff. But 25lbs the bag.

Grind it down and mix it with water until the solution is milk white and put it into a sprayer, then spray the infested plant from all sides.

As soon the Diatomaceous Earth dries it is active again. 

Any insect that get contact with the dry powder dries out and dies eventually.

Unfortunately it makes no difference between good and bad, so it should be only applied when the plants are not flowering for the sake of our bees. 

It is very good if you use it around the trunk to keep off pests climbing up..

It lasts only as long it is not raining... 

Reginald

• Like 2

Next two:

1 Liter water and 100 grs fresh Oregano Leaves against Aphids. (brew Oregano slowly in lukewarm water)

Lemon & Co (Citrus fruits).. If you get hold of Lemon Oil 30ml in 1 Liter Water helps against the everywhere present Mealy Bugs, Snails and Aphids.. (15gr Orange Skin in 0.5 liter water works as well..) Make a tea from it and do trials.

Onions can boost this tea and if you use potato water from your Sunday roast it will be more efficient against Aphids.

But still you need do trials how much you need to batter your pests. As more attractive the plant is to them as more you need... 

• Like 1

Tea Tree (not Lipton or Tetley's) talking about Meleleuca alternifolia is very efficient and if more boost needed mix onion or Neem oil and a squirt of dishwashing liquid to it.

Dilute it very good and try first on a single leaf because some plants don't like it.

I grow always some tea trees around my yard.

Easy growers, not out shading and keep pests away from nearby plants..  

If you put that much attention on building the soil fertility you wouldn't need all the bio-pesticides. 

Get in touch with Soil Food Web - Regenerative Ag science, principles and practices. It works. 

In the temperate and seasonal climates you won't have such big issues that in tropical climate.

Sure soil; fertility and proper soil makes almost every plant cope with the pests.

I have a lot of fruits/nuts that are unique in Thailand and some are attracted by pests.

My soil is pretty new because I just converted rice field into a food forest and the priority was to have the right soil, elevation and light for the specific plant.

Good growth of all 380 plants even planted in the dry season tells me that this step is well completed.

If you read its more info because I wanted to be prepared for pests if they try to take over.

About Permaculture I am studying and work practically more than 8 years beside I grew up as farmer's son with skills in hydroponics, Co2 saturation in Greenhouses and so on.

I developed my own aquaponics system in my backyard in Pattaya which was feeding many poeple during the COVID hype in Pattaya.

So I am well prepared and I hope in 2-3 years that I have sorted my soil disturbance with sunn hemp, vetiver grass and a lot of other chop and drop stuff. 

Next year I get into high density animal support to complete at least halfway a holistic management system in my Forest..  

As said, I started with a well prepared upper and lower canopy in pots before I moved from Pattaya but soil is now a white carpet which was off course unavoidable... 

I attached 2 before and 2 after photos for a better understanding why I deal with pests even the right plants together are keeping them pretty much at bay.  

20220130_114347.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

1-Full View.jpg

IMG-20230414-WA0023.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 6:42 PM, Reginald Prewster said:

In the temperate and seasonal climates you won't have such big issues that in tropical climate.

My opinion is: this generalization is a myth.

I'm back in California for the season and dealing with customer's trees, landscapes, home orchards and gardens and there are far more pest and disease problems here where soil regeneration has not been utilized.  Through years of study and trials in the US and Thailand I became convinced of the efficacy of soil fertility improvements in pest and disease suppression. even with the most aggressive tropical pest types. 

BTW, weaver ants are not a plant pest, they do not feed on the trees, but are a natural biological control for some plant pests.  They are evil little kamakaze dive bomber pests for people, but soil improvements or bio-pesticides do not apply for control. Ask your local village neighbor to collect the weaver ant nests.  

Those interested in Permaculture may appreciate Matt Powers: The Permaculture Student - YT Channel with a wealth of information, and Matt's new book on Regenerative Soil:  https://www.thepermaculturestudent.com/shop/regenerative-soil-science-amp-solutions-manual-pre-order

Regarding "food-forest", = agro-forestry, you might find value in the pinned discussion in our organic subforum. 

Also, there is an excellent book on Agroforestry from Nepal, by my friend and fellow member of ISTF (Intnl Soc of Tropical Foresters) 

These principles regarding the inherent 'integrated' nature of agroforestry are a brilliant observation and should be taken into account by all farmers, to move away from monocropping and it's inherent problems:  

Agroforestry Systems and Practices in Nepal  by SWOYAMBHU MAN AMATYA

(From the Forwards and Preface)

Agroforestry systems are, by definition, more complex than mono-cultural production systems, it is important for the student to understand the many interactions between the components of an agroforestry system: trees, crop plants, livestock, soil, water, climate, as well as the farming household. The knowledge of the principles of these interactions is essential for scientifically informed innovation of agroforestry systems that meet the developmental needs of the rural economy.

The combined use of land for different crop types in agroforestry systems often leads to increased productivity and other added benefits as compared to a segregated use of land either for agriculture or for forestry. The multifunctional approach of agroforestry systems may consequently help solve or alleviate many problems associated with increasing human population densities, poverty, and scarcity of land for food production and for goods and services derived from trees.

Agroforestry has been practiced all over the world since time immemorial. Farmers have developed sustainable agroforestry systems that produce crops, trees, livestock, fish, medicinal and aromatic plants, and other related forest resources. In our country empirical evidence suggests that agroforestry can provide a sound ecological basis for increased crop and animal productivity, more dependable economic returns, and greater biodiversity. In view of these, agroforestry is increasingly becoming an important landscape feature of Nepal and the entire hill farming systems of the country. Agroforestry practice in Nepal generally aims for meeting the present and future requirements of fuel wood, small timber, fodder, and Non-Timber Forest Products including Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, and for environmental services to include watershed functions, slope stabilization and erosion control, environmental protection, and microclimate amelioration.

Farming system in Nepal generally depends on the various types of products that are obtained from forests. Rural people collect green biomass (fodder) as livestock feed and leaf litter from forests for animal bedding. They take livestock to forests for grazing throughout the year. As a result, forests are degraded and receding from villages. This type of systems is being practiced in Nepal since time immemorial. In other words, forestry is an integral part of farming system in Nepal. Our forefathers have been planting tree species for multiple uses such as food, shelter, medicine, and spices in and around their farmland. Agroforestry practices are seen to improve livelihood through increasing the asset base for households, increasing productivity of both tree and agriculture crops, help conserve ecosystem and biodiversity, and improving agriculture landscapes including protection against environmental degradation.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, drtreelove said:

BTW, weaver ants are not a plant pest, they do not feed on the trees, but are a natural biological control for some plant pests.  They are evil little kamakaze dive bomber pests for people, but soil improvements or bio-pesticides do not apply for control. Ask your local village neighbor to collect the weaver ant nests.  

For me they are much more valued and I never will consider them a pest.

There might be a misunderstanding.

They are highly sophisticated workers in my farm and always welcome.

A good thing is when they "own" a tree and you have a pest problem on another plant beside, they work even more efficient if you know their habits. 

They will sort some pests in the neighboring plant, but as long they have to walk over soil they do not consider this plant as "their" tree.

As soon you connect a string between the two trees they want yo own also the other plant and marching along the string in hundreds.

Great little critters they are..

The way we are farming now is completely degrading and destroying.

It's all about money.

Monoculture uses only one level and keeps us off the abundance of 6 more levels which support each other.

The great herds of wild animals are gone as also Allan Savory states, but there is a chance to imitate the big herds, when all farmers join together and start a holistic management system, by letting the herds return. This can also be imitated by domesticated lifestock.

I just start my project and after planting my upper canopy I take it easy filling slowly the gaps and let the succession do the job it is supposed to do.

I might loose some plants and others might take over these gaps created, which is absolute clear for me.

The end of succession ends almost always with a jungle, where also pests have their right of existence.  

I only can do my farming and more than hope to find some people copy my idea. 

I am at the age where I might have some trees unter which shadow I will never sit, but if all goes right my kids and grandkids might sit there and having a fruit. Means mission completed... 

• Thanks 1