French and German tourists turn their back on Brexit Britain

Scott

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Of course it's down, you may not have noticed that there has been a drop in tourism worldwide post Covid/war in Ukraine

Show me a link that less tourism to the UK is down to Brexit, and not the cost of living crisis engulfing so much of Europe.

Less tourists are coming to Thailand as well. The whole world in fact. Is that down to Brexit and the need for a passport? Or is it because people are more concerned about heating their homes than taking holidays? I can see the Guardian headlines now - "Chinese tourism to Thailand decimated by Brexit". ????

It's laughable that you ignore the knockon effects of Covid lockdowns and the War in Ukraine and blame absolutely everything on Brexit.

Below are graphs for tourism worldwide and tourism to the UK? See any similarities after 2019? Damn that Brexit for ruining global tourism post 2019, so inconsiderate of Brexiteers to affect the whole world's tourist industry at the exact same time as Covid struck. ????

https://www.statista.com/statistics/209334/total-number-of-international-tourist-arrivals/

image.png.005a500941e86e06647bbcc24b00fd21.png

image.png.febd2c4c137fc69f850a0038063f16a0.png

Add to that the figures for arrivals in November 2022, announced in March 2023, were 2% up on November 2019.

37 minutes ago, Goat said:

Yep. The only country in history that voted to have sanctions put on themselves. 

It does make me laugh.

That Boris bloke. What a clown.

Less of a clown than Prayut, Trump, Macron,Trudeau .............

Let's face it in clown world only clowns get elected.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe the Germans can go to Paris instead? Lovely this time of year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11946855/Riot-police-battle-thousands-protestors-Paris-streets-French-pension-reform-plans.html

Seriously though, if you are put off travelling to a country because you have to show your passport to gain entry, you should probably stay at home. Presumably they are put off every country outside the EU? Or is this just another Brexit bashing article by The Guardian? 

Finally we are in agreeement

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Goat said:

Harden up mate.

There is no law in Thailand that says you have to like Brits.

You really need to ask yourself why so many people dont like Brits.

I dont like them either. Uo to me.

If you read my posts and understood them, Goaty, I was referring to Brits who run their own country down at every opportunity on here....????

Not folk from another herd like yourself.............????

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You think the British and Thai tourism markets are comparable? How about comparing the performance of the UK to one of its neighbors. Since you seem so find of citing France in your comments:

France Tourism Spending Hit Record €58 Billion In 2022

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisobrien/2023/02/28/france-tourism-spending-hit-record-58-billion-in-2022/?sh=544ed4efe0ae

?

Surely Europe as a whole would be a better comparison instead of cherry pecking one particular country?

Oh look. It's also down since Brexit. Same as the world as a whole and the same as Thailand. Who knew... 

Damn those Brexiteers for ruining the whole world's tourist industry. So strange that it coincided with Covid lockdowns.

image.png.df52ade1a83d02714de08f37644980ae.png

Edited by JonnyF
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Brexit, the biggest self-own in history, keeps hurting the UK. Who knew, right?!?! 

How much more are you having to pay to bolster the poor countries of the EU......?  ????

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

First off, you're the one who keeps on invoking France. Not me. Maybe no such a good choice, huh?

There's one huge problem with this statistic. There are about 500 million people in the EU. They don't count as international travelers within the EU. There are about 65 million people in the UK

So compare with the world as whole. 

Who knew Britain was so important as to ruin the whole world's tourism industry just by voting to leave the EU.

We really are as important as I thought. So strange it coincided with Covid lockdowns though, huh?

image.png.8d6b3e05124fee6d47634a1f3dc508f9.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

So compare with the world as whole. 

Who knew Britain was so important as to ruin the whole world's tourism industry just by voting to leave the EU.

We really are as important as I thought. So strange it coincided with Covid lockdowns though, huh?

image.png.8d6b3e05124fee6d47634a1f3dc508f9.png

So why did you keep on invoking France?

And I'm sure this is a graph of something. But some text on it might help.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

So why did you keep on invoking France?

And I'm sure this is a graph of something. But some text on it might help.

Yes I've reached my daily limit on statista giving you so many examples. Here you go in case you couldn't workout when global tourism fell off the cliff. All down to Brexit of course (nothing to do with Covid lockdowns).

image.png.b27eb176631290bb256d17b820a17481.png

Oh look, Brexit ruined the US tourist industry as well. Who knew... And just when Covid happened again. How inconsiderate of us. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/214763/number-of-overseas-visitors-to-the-us/

Damn those Brexiteers. Clearly nobody wanted to visit the US once members of EU countries required a passport check to enter the UK.????

I take it cause and effect isn't your strong suit.

• Thanks 2

Yes I've reached my daily limit on statista giving you so many examples. Here you go in case you couldn't workout when global tourism fell off the cliff. All down to Brexit of course (nothing to do with Covid lockdowns).

image.png.b27eb176631290bb256d17b820a17481.png

Oh look, Brexit ruined the US tourist industry as well. Who knew... And just when Covid happened again. How inconsiderate of us. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/214763/number-of-overseas-visitors-to-the-us/

Damn those Brexiteers. Clearly nobody wanted to visit the US once members of EU countries required a passport check to enter the UK.????

I take it cause and effect isn't your strong suit.

Was the OP about tourism during the covid lockdown?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, n00dle said:

yet still they don't come

Same time the Chinese stopped coming to Thailand.

Uncanny.

Maybe Brexiteers should start paying repatriations to Thailand for ruining their tourism industry by leaving the EU (just before Covid lockdowns)? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was the OP about tourism during the covid lockdown?

The OP was a left wing Remainer rag trying to pin the worldwide trend in reduced tourism since 2020 (a trend which was unsurprisingly also present in Britain) on Brexit.

Laughable.

Check the stats. You've got nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The OP was a left wing Remainer rag trying to pin the worldwide trend in reduced tourism since 2020 (a trend which was unsurprisingly also present in Britain) on Brexit.

Laughable.

You're the one who raised the issue of France. Not me.

• Confused 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

Laughable.

Maybe time for you to read the op again, although I doubt it will make any difference. But a hint, it's about the recovery in tourism after covid where 2 nations may be lagging behind.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Laughable.

Also, as for the issue of international flights, it's not surprising that they rose a lot. After all, all flights from the EU that used not to count, now do. Got any figures to adjust for that difference?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Maybe time for you to read the op again, although I doubt it will make any difference. But a hint, it's about the recovery in tourism after covid where 2 nations may be lagging behind.

Tourism to Britain is down. Worldwide tourism is down. Tourism to Thailand is down. See a trend? No? Check the charts I posted not some anti British hit piece from The Guardian.

Pinning it on Brexit is ludicrous. Desperate stuff from bitter remainers ????.

The title of thread would be more accurate if it said "Worldwide downturn in tourism also evident in Britain". But no, this is The Guardian so they pretend it's down to Brexit ????. Predictably, bitter Remainers lap it up and attempt to deflect when presented with the facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Also, as for the issue of international flights, it's not surprising that they rose a lot. After all, all flights from the EU that used not to count, now do. Got any figures to adjust for that difference?

I thought they were all coming on ferries and getting stranded at the ports? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You've got nothing.

Well, I have the stats I posted that prove Britain's decline in tourism since Covid is a worldwide trend and actually % wise Britain is faring much better than many countries who depend on tourism more heavily, such as Thailand.

So there's that...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

That is your normal response quote, when you are in a corner, ol' chap...????

Nonsense. JonnyF made a ridiculous allegation that it was claimed all EU tourists were arriving via ferries. An obvious caricature of what was actually said.

Nonsense. JonnyF made a ridiculous allegation that it was claimed all EU tourists were arriving via ferries. An obvious caricature of what was actually said.

Dare I say, "You've got nothing"......????