French and German tourists turn their back on Brexit Britain

Scott

48 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe the Germans can go to Paris instead? Lovely this time of year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11946855/Riot-police-battle-thousands-protestors-Paris-streets-French-pension-reform-plans.html

Seriously though, if you are put off travelling to a country because you have to show your passport to gain entry, you should probably stay at home. Presumably they are put off every country outside the EU? Or is this just another Brexit bashing article by The Guardian? 

There didn't used to be this obstacle to gain entry to the UK. Whereas it always existed for countries outside the EU.  (and possibly the few nations such as Norway and Switzerland that have special agreements with it).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I suspect something else is at play.

Me too. Who travels abroad without a passport? The real reason has probably more to do with rising costs for hotels, etc., due to staff shortages in the UK thanks to Covid and Brexit, probably resulting in fewer (open) hotels and higher room prices.

That doesn't surprise me. Miserable weather, and the food is even worse.

Not the kind of country worth visiting if you'd need to apply for a passport just for that trip, while you can visit plenty of EU countries with just your ID card. Those who do have a passport are more likely interested in more faraway places (such as the US or, wait for it, Thailand).

I'll leave it there before I'll rant about "pleasure beaches".

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

That doesn't surprise me. Miserable weather, and the food is even worse.

Not the kind of country worth visiting if you'd need to apply for a passport just for that trip, while you can visit plenty of EU countries with just your ID card. Those who do have a passport are more likely interested in more faraway places (such as the US or, wait for it, Thailand).

I'll leave it there before I'll rant about "pleasure beaches".

Yet another Brit bash, now I wonder where you come from..............:w00t:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, transam said:

Yet another Brit bash, now I wonder where you come from..............:w00t:

Read the headline and take your pick, Sir. You seem to prefer to spend time in Thailand instead, too. Did I actually write anything that is factually wrong?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1