divorced but staying on marriage visa

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I expect before a Elite visa is issued a person must cancel his current visa/extension.  Although the OP is talking a marriage extension below Thailand Elite Visa webpage talks the process to switch from a Non O Retirement to an Elite visa "which first requires the person to cancel his current visa." 

https://www.thailandelite-direct.com/en/blog/post/cancellation-of-non-immigrant-o-visa

I expect the process would be the same for a Non O Marriage cancellation which would probably entail the person showing he/she still qualifies for the current marriage extension which would mean producing a Kor Ror 3 Marriage Certificate and fresh Kor Ror 2 Marriage Registration to confirm the person is still married.   Or said another way before Immigration will cancel the extension they first confirm you are still qualified to be on the marriage extension which the OP would not be able to do since he's no longer married.  

Late last year I switched from an OA Marriage Extension of stay to an LTR Pensioner visa....on the day I went to get the LTR Pensioner visa inked into my passport at Immigration I had to first cancel my OA Marriage Extension of Stay which required the wife and I producing our Kor Ror 3 and a fresh Kor Ror 2 Marriage Registration.   Basically proving I was still qualified to be on the marriage extension....basically proving that with above two mentioned docs Immigration cancelled that marriage extension and then issued the LTR visa.

100% correct

what happened to OP happened to me 3-4 years ago

whatever visa OP gets immigration will ask about non-o and want to see wife plus marriage certificate with KOR2 (new date on it) like i said happened to me. there is no way he can avoid... it will haunt him

• Like 1

suggestion:

get your visa out of thailand. do your forst extension using an agency. Then do it by yourself in your second extension. This way you will bypass that stage immigration will ask you to see your wife and documents. they dont need them anymore in your second extension

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

i see...

well worst thing prepare 20K and told them you didnt know, you think you could keep the visa till expire.

please inform us

good luck

fully prepared to face the 20k fine and 1-year ban.
when i fly out without a re-entry permit they will cancel the visa anyway. i don't care about that at all. just wishing not to face the 1-year ban since my life and heart is in very deeply in Thailand.

edit: is it worth getting the re-entry permit to make the exit for a vacation look more real?

Edited by stoicccc
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JayClay said:

No!

Because if you manage to even get one, you'll then re-enter on the non-O extension that you're trying to alleviate yourself of; it'll render the entire trip pointless!

the man has a point. cheers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stoicccc said:

appreciate your message, well noted.
i think the difference in my case and yours is that most likely immigration has been informed about the divorce. and that would also be the reason why they visited my ex-wife.
that immigration is in a small province close to BKK, I will be flying out from a different province in about 18 hours so perhaps the news haven't traveled his far yet.
according to a couple of lawyers i talked to, this information is now shared between the amphoes and the immigration. i guess we'll find out tomorrow.

That's the key question here that no one can answer. Do the Amphur Offices send divorce information directly to the Immigration Office? Your lawyers say they do (now), but I'm not convinced.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Absolutely not.

At departure the immigration officer may point out to you that you do not have a reentry permit.

He is being helpful.

Just acknowledge you don't want one..

You will have no issue at departure.

BTW: Think you are doing the wise thing exit Thailand given the visit from immigration to wife home. 

Fingers crossed for no issues at departure...feels like that would be the case but the demons in my mind are telling me otherwise.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So who told you immigration visited, was it your Ex-wife or immigration ?

My ex-wife. She got the news from her neighbour, an elderly lady. The elderly lady was home when immigration visited, my wife wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stoicccc said:

My ex-wife. She got the news from her neighbour, an elderly lady. The elderly lady was home when immigration visited, my wife wasn't.

Any clue to what your neighbor may have told them, questions asked ?

• Like 1

No kids, no clue what was talked about between immigration and the elderly lady. I only know that phone numbers were exchanged so that they will give my ex-wife a call. But she goes traveling today in the morning and won't be available for a call.
I'm thinking since they will call her instead of giving a new visit at a set time, perhaps it could be just a regular check-up.
But we'll learn more later today when I exit Thailand.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

I don't understand why immigration would ask about marriage documents if I come back on a tourist visa or visa exempt? the NON-O visa based on thai spouse wouldn't be valid anymore

Especially if I come back with a new passport with a tourist visa on it

He is on the wrong bus.

Think referring to non O retirement. 

You are not 50 yet so that's not possible.

Your options eg tourist visa have been discussed in the thread.

An METV would be your best option giving you up to 9 months however that is normally obtained in your pp country. 

SETV is for quick easy option.

Can obtain from Laos, Vietnam etc. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He is on the wrong bus.

Think referring to non O retirement. 

You are not 50 yet so that's not possible.

Your options eg tourist visa have been discussed in the thread.

An METV would be your best option giving you up to 9 months however that is normally obtained in your pp country. 

SETV is for quick easy option.

Can obtain from Laos, Vietnam etc. 

Appreciate you always.

My plan is to come back on a visa exempt, then get an ED visa for muay thai (i already train 3-5 times a week and considering taking a fight later this year) or ED visa for Thai language since I really finally wanna learn the language.

IF they don't ban me, is there some risk coming back within 2 weeks with the same passport, planning to get a visa exempt?

3 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

Appreciate you always.

My plan is to come back on a visa exempt, then get an ED visa for muay thai (i already train 3-5 times a week and considering taking a fight later this year) or ED visa for Thai language since I really finally wanna learn the language.

IF they don't ban me, is there some risk coming back within 2 weeks with the same passport, planning to get a visa exempt?

You won't be banned. 

You can return anytime visa exempt.

Primarily this exit is to kill off the non O and avoid overstay possibility due to divorce ending your previously valid permission of stay. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

Appreciate you always.

My plan ... or ED visa for Thai language since I really finally wanna learn the language.

I know it's a bit off topic, but I personally applaud and endorse anyone who wants to put time into the language. If your goal, passion is to reside here, go for it, consider the visa a plus.

Back on topic, I suspect you'll be fine exiting, good luck.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Love It 1

18 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

My ex cheated and took her kids and left.  I had always been on good terms with the neighbor helping her sort out her pool chemicals and giving her things I no longer had use for. Once I saved her 3 year old nephews life when he fell in her pool unattended and I jumped the fence and pulled him to safety.  After 6 months away my ex came by to pick up a few things and the neighbor gave her the full run down of every girl that had been to my house and everything I was doing day to day.  Never underestimate how they will help each other out while jamming it up you for fun.  

No more fence jumping for you!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

this was proven true few minutes ago ????

Excellent.

If you are flying back in visa exempt consider the possible requirement for onward flight by airline at departure. 

Google "onwardflight.com" and rent a flight ticket companies are listed. 

They work. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1