Alcohol effects on Gout, Arthritis & Rheumatism

ravip

What are the effects from consuming alcohol with regards to Gout, Arthritis & Rheumatism ?

> Can it be a sole cause for such illness to start?

> Would it make such illness worse, if one already is suffering?

> Pros and cons regarding Beer vs Hard Liquor. 

"rheumatism"  -  not a medical diagnosis. It is a vague lay term that covers a range of very different diseases. Including gout and the various different types of arthritis (see below)

Arthritis - you need to specify what you mean. Rheumatoid arthritis? Osteoarthritis? Psoariatic arhtritis? AFAIK known of these are directly affected by alcohol.

Gout is definitely exacerbated by, and can even be caused by, alcohol. See https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/how-does-alcohol-impact-the-risk-of-gout

Beer is especially bad, but any alcohol can be a problem for a gout sufferer

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"rheumatism"  -  not a medical diagnosis. It is a vague lay term that covers a range of very different diseases. Including gout and the various different types of arthritis (see below)

Arthritis - you need to specify what you mean. Rheumatoid arthritis? Osteoarthritis? Psoariatic arhtritis? AFAIK known of these are directly affected by alcohol.

Gout is definitely exacerbated by, and can even be caused by, alcohol. See https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/how-does-alcohol-impact-the-risk-of-gout

Beer is especially bad, but any alcohol can be a problem for a gout sufferer

On many occasions, this topic was the subject of discussion, with various independent views. This was the reason I posted this question for my general knowledge.

Thank you Sheryl for your response, which answered my question and cleared my doubts.