Bitten by a rat by the moat

Mac Mickmanus

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, they can also make that vaccine from horses , but I am allergic that that vaccine and i needed to get the vaccine made from Humans , which is rare and difficult to get hold and that's why I had to go to four different hospitals to find it and they injected it straight into the open wound about six times to spread the vaccine around a bit   .

Needle into the teeth marks 

I got the terminology wrong. Rabies Immune globulin. It's not a vaccine. It's supposed to kick in whle your body is reacting to the vaccine. It can be made from the blood serum of either horses or humans. I had a friend here who got bitten by a stray dog and got her rabies shot here. When she went back to the states she went to a doctor and he was shocked that she wasn't also offered the option of the RIG. It's not cheap. I think it costs around 20,000 baht.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 3:14 PM, blackshadow said:

correct people get WIELLS DESEASE from rats and die......

But not by being bitten !   It is caught by exposure to their urine, normally from contaminated water 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, placeholder said:

I got the terminology wrong. Rabies Immune globulin. It's not a vaccine. It's supposed to kick in whle your body is reacting to the vaccine. It can be made from the blood serum of either horses or humans. I had a friend here who got bitten by a stray dog and got her rabies shot here. When she went back to the states she went to a doctor and he was shocked that she wasn't also offered the option of the RIG. It's not cheap. I think it costs around 20,000 baht.

Was your friend really big ?

The amount of vaccine is given according to the recipients and the bigger the recipients weight ,  the higher the costs 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

The Rabies immune globin is only for people who are previously unvaccinated , those who have previously been vaccinated don't need the RIG .

The 20 000 Baht price tag may have been from a private hospital  I got mine for about 2-3000 Baht from a Government hospital . 

13 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

But not by being bitten !   It is caught by exposure to their urine, normally from contaminated water 

Weil's disease or leptospirosis can be caught by humans through contact with infected animal urine from rats, cattle, pigs, dogs etc, mainly through contaminated fresh water or soil. 

It is even possible from human urine or blood.

"Although rat-bite is not a common mode of transmission, a number of cases have been documented".

Severe leptospirosis after rat bite: A case report - PMC (nih.gov)

34 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Rabies immune globin is only for people who are previously unvaccinated , those who have previously been vaccinated don't need the RIG .

The 20 000 Baht price tag may have been from a private hospital  I got mine for about 2-3000 Baht from a Government hospital . 

I guess most people who get a rabies shot haven't been previously vaccinated. Anyway, your misfortune has given me the impetus I need to get myself vaccinated.

40 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I guess most people who get a rabies shot haven't been previously vaccinated. Anyway, your misfortune has given me the impetus I need to get myself vaccinated.

I was advised to get vaccinated before I moved to Thailand permanently because of the rabies risk, the difficulty and cost of getting RIG, and also the rare risk of using blood products which have shown to be problematic in the past.

I subsequently had 3 exposures one with a cat and two 2 with dogs which only required 2 vaccine boosters on each occasion.

Bicycle riders seem to attract rabies exposure.

Vaccination is relatively cheap especially with intradermal injections which use a smaller dose.

Edited by LosLobo

20 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

CDC is in the US.

The bitten person and his rat are in Thailand. 

Some old stuff:

In the past, Srisongmuang et al. (1994) studied rabies carriers in rodents in Bangkok and adjacent areas and found 1% rabies positive in rat (4/384), 0 % in squirrel (0/52) and 20% in tree shrew (2/10). The report also referred to two studies by Puangsab and Lawhasawat who found 15% and 13% of rats positive to rabies in rats trapped from Chieng Mai and all over the country in 1964 and 1977 respectively. Other reports cited by Srisongmuang et al. included studies by Smith et al. (1968) who found 4% positive rabies in rodents and Sajaotz (1968) who found 8% rabies positive in rats in eastern part of Thailand. In contrast Sawasdikosol (1976) (cited in Srisongmuang et al., 1994). found no rabies in rodents from 3 provinces in the western and southern part of Thailand (Srisongmuang et al., 1994). In 1997 Kamoltham et al. (1997) studied a carrier status in dog, Hipposiderous bicolar bats and house rats in Petchaboon and found no rabies positive case.

Another article, not quite so old, from 2006: rabies in rats in Petchabun

https://academic.oup.com/jtm/article/9/2/106/1801447

What disclaimer will Brit Man Too pull out his behind this time? ???? We wonder if he has the moral fortitude to decline a rabies jab if bitten by a rat.

We doubt it. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you put you muscles back inside your shirt and keep your mouth closed and read what was written, you would have noticed that I wasn't actually asking what to do and that I'd already been to the hospital and I wasn't asking "what to do"

Engage you brain before your muscles in future , thanks 

I responded to your initial post. 

Which I found the need to share odd.

Many of us have minor mishaps all the time, we don't feel the need to share unless we think help is required. 

Most adults realise any animal bite inflicted anywhere is a potential infection risk, full stop.

But I'll be sure to let the community know next time I stub my toe or something. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Many of us have minor mishaps all the time, we don't feel the need to share unless we think help is required. 

Most adults realise any animal bite inflicted anywhere is a potential infection risk, full stop.

But I'll be sure to let the community know next time I stub my toe or something. 

I found the topic interesting, certainly contained information that I was unaware of and have learnt from.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

When was the last time that you got bitten by a rat ?

This adult here had already been to the hospital and this adult here wasn't asking advice , although I was king of hoping some people would state that it was a very  common happening and nothing to worry about , taking into consideration that I was contemplating that I could be dead by next week

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, CMBob said:

While I'll have to admit the thread contained some interesting info about rabies treatment, overall I found the thread rather weird.  Why?

(1) A guy sitting on a moat bench at night (which evokes certain questions as to why) and getting bit by a rat.

What is "weird" about sitting on a bench in the evening ?

Sitting on a bench is about the unweirdest  thing that you can do on a bench .

Like , what else are you supposed to do with a bench ?

Apart from sit on it ?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Yeah but they win when you show that you've let them wind you up. 

For what it's worth, I take back my initial comment, I apologise for that, it was pointless and uncalled for. 

You getting annoyed about me getting annoyed will only encourage them even further . 

They don't annoy me as much as that rat though , they are below  a rabid street rat in my annoyances scale 

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What is "weird" about sitting on a bench in the evening ?

Everyone knows that the benches along the moats in inner CM city are full of homeless, rats and more. Not to mention LB's sometimes later at night. Would never sit there, specially not as you said you saw rats biting trees beforehand lol.

Perhaps only during the day time, it is doable (rat free, homeless free, garbage free)

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 4/11/2023 at 4:08 PM, tubby johnson said:

You're a bit late posting here. Get to the hospital yesterday!!

Instead of talking tough and wasting time here, better get your keyboard warrior a$$ to a hospital soonest.

Does this pseudoscientific nonsense make you feel safe and/or immortal?

It's apparently not pseudoscientific nonsense.

According to the article below from PubMed Central:

Once the virus is inoculated, it ascends with a speed of 12-14 mm/day to reach the spinal ganglion where rapid viral multiplication takes place.

Rabies: The Lethality Since Antiquity

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chalawaan said:

What disclaimer will Brit Man Too pull out his behind this time? ???? We wonder if he has the moral fortitude to decline a rabies jab if bitten by a rat.

We doubt it. 

Never had a rabies jab, not had tetanus jabs for the past 40 years either.

Refused cancer investigations when I had the symptoms of cancer 2 years back.

I'm old, I've already had my life.

Never been bitten by a rat.

Have been bitten by rabbits, last time my vet offered me a rabies jab, I refused.

No reports of anyone catching rabies from rabbits or rats.

Edited by BritManToo

24 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's apparently not pseudoscientific nonsense.

According to the article below from PubMed Central:

Rabies: The Lethality Since Antiquity

The point is that vaccines for Rabies no longer work, if you start injecting and symptoms already started. There is days between the shots too, if you didn't have any recent ones in the past. It is not just the brains, it starts from the spinal cord. So sooner the better.

5 hours ago, chalawaan said:

We doubt it. 

He hasn't caught Rabies from a rat and so that is proof that people cannot catch rabies from rats 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That doesn't mean there's zero risk however. According to all the scientific literature, any mammal can carry rabies.

And since rabies is 100% fatal if left untreated, I certainly wouldn't want to take the risk.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have posted a link in this thread about people catching rabies from rats and rabbits and as rats are not often caught after biting people and infecting them  and they run away , there are minimal reports of people catching rabies from rats

• Haha 1