Bitten by a rat by the moat

Mac Mickmanus

26 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Got stressed out in the hospital getting my rabies booster shot.

I went there yesterday as a trial run to make sure everything would go smoothly and that they had the vaccine (which they did) , went there with my passport , vaccination booklet and money and handed it all over to the nurse .

She sent me downstairs to the cashier to pay for the vaccine , and the cashier wasn't there and no one knew where she had gone or when she'd be back .

I was getting stressed out because without that vaccine, I could be dead within a few weeks and without the cashier, I couldn't buy the vaccine 

You wouldn't have been so stressed out if you hadn't been so lazy to react. You should have visited a hospital immediately. Rabies is no joke; don't be negligent with your health in future. :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

You wouldn't have been so stressed out if you hadn't been so lazy to react. You should have visited a hospital immediately. Rabies is no joke; don't be negligent with your health in future. :coffee1:

The rabies vaccine consists of four vaccinations over one month , so it wouldn't have made any difference had I gone there a few hours earlier

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Rat bites are not known to transmit rabies to humans .........

https://www.orkin.com/pests/rodents/rats/rat-bites

Would be happy to read any link saying different, but I can't find any.

You're right, the rat would not normally survive the attack by the rabid predator, possibly a fox, dog etc. 

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Despite common belief, no rodent bites in North America have ever resulted in the transmission of rabies."

That is in North America (I am in Thailand)  were there are 1 or 2 cases of rabies in humans per year .

There has been a rabies outbreak in Northern Thailand with 74 humans getting rabies this year already .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

never happend or rather no case have been registered, doesn't mean it can't happen or does not happen in less developed countries where people fail to make it to the hospital.

No downside to getting a vaccine and it will provide immunity for some time, which is useful here in Thailand with all the stray dogs running around.

No medical professional will risk it.

Edited by Kalorymetr
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Kalorymetr said:

No downside to getting a vaccine and it will provide immunity for some time, which is useful here in Thailand with all the stray dogs running around.

CDC says different.

Please find one case of a human catching rabies from a rat bite.

If it happens, it should be easy to find.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
11 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

CDC says different.

Rabies is a zoonotic desease.....  

As you correctly state...  Rabies is almost never found in Rats (or amongst other similar animals) and rats are not known to transmit Rabies.

That said: Any animal bite or scratch needs to be treated with caution.

9 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

not sure what CDC is

edit: Already answered... 

Curiosity has struck me: Where have you been for the past 3 years not to have heard of the CDC ???... 

Edited by richard_smith237

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Read the report, human bitten by rabid rat, which isn't the same as human infected by rabid rat.

It's absolutely clear humans can be attacked by small mammals infected by rabies. 

Which isn't the same as humans can catch rabies from small mammals.

As I've previously stated, if rats can infect humans with rabies, it should be a fairly common problem.

But so far ZERO cases.

From your Petchabun link ..........

"No documented case of human rabies secondary to a rat bite has ever been reported"

Guess you didn't read that far?

It is also stated that the rats that bite people are rarely caught and thus they cannot say whether the rat was rabid or not .

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

CDC says different.

The CDC doesn't say different . 

The CDC says that all mammals (rats) can carry Rabies and you should seek medical attention if bitten and the reason why so few humans contract rabies, is because they all seek medical attention and get vaccinated 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 6:46 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

They measure your knob and if you have a horse sized knob , that means you are allergic to the vaccine .

Ha ha, only joking ????

I found out that I was allergic to the horse made vaccine due to a blood test they did at the hospital , they took a blood sample and did a test and got the results back within a few minutes

The virus makes it was from the entrance point (abrasion)  to the victims brain at about 10 millimetres per day , so it takes longer to get to the brain if the entrance point was the foot , rather than if the entrance point was the chin and once the rabies virus gets into the brain, that's it, game over , nothing more they can do and you just need to wait to die .

So did you have rabies?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rabies is a zoonotic desease.....  

As you correctly state...  Rabies is almost never found in Rats (or amongst other similar animals) and rats are not known to transmit Rabies.

That said: Any animal bite or scratch needs to be treated with caution.

edit: Already answered... 

Curiosity has struck me: Where have you been for the past 3 years not to have heard of the CDC ???... 

CDC is in the US.

The bitten person and his rat are in Thailand. 

Some old stuff:

In the past, Srisongmuang et al. (1994) studied rabies carriers in rodents in Bangkok and adjacent areas and found 1% rabies positive in rat (4/384), 0 % in squirrel (0/52) and 20% in tree shrew (2/10). The report also referred to two studies by Puangsab and Lawhasawat who found 15% and 13% of rats positive to rabies in rats trapped from Chieng Mai and all over the country in 1964 and 1977 respectively. Other reports cited by Srisongmuang et al. included studies by Smith et al. (1968) who found 4% positive rabies in rodents and Sajaotz (1968) who found 8% rabies positive in rats in eastern part of Thailand. In contrast Sawasdikosol (1976) (cited in Srisongmuang et al., 1994). found no rabies in rodents from 3 provinces in the western and southern part of Thailand (Srisongmuang et al., 1994). In 1997 Kamoltham et al. (1997) studied a carrier status in dog, Hipposiderous bicolar bats and house rats in Petchaboon and found no rabies positive case.

Another article, not quite so old, from 2006: rabies in rats in Petchabun

https://academic.oup.com/jtm/article/9/2/106/1801447

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

CC says

All mammals can catch rabies.

No human has been reported as catching rabies from rats/rabbits. 

Do you obsess about being hit by lightning?

No, well you should as it's more common than catching rabies from rats.

Reports from the USA , no human in the USA has been reported to have caught rabies from rats is what the CDC writes

From neighbouring India which shows the extent of rat bites and how it causes rabies and how vaccines are preventing deaths in rat bit victims 

"Rising rat-bite cases, threat of rabies to Peshawarites

PESHAWAR – The rising incidents of rat-bite have posed serious threat of rabies to the Peshawarites as about 426 cases in the provincial capital’s Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) were reported during last one week.

Doctor Hina, who is dealing with the rat-bit patients at LRH told that the number of victims, referred to hospital for treatment, was daily increasing which was “alarming and unprecedented”. The children are the most vulnerable segment to rat-bite, who are mostly attacked at night, she added.

“The rats carrying rabies virus were as dangerous as rabid dogs and a victim can die within 10 to 15 days,” she said, adding that “Fever, headache, vomiting, agitation, anxiety and hyperactivity are among main symptoms of rabid rats’ bite.”

https://dailytimes.com.pk/84269/rising-rat-bite-cases-threat-of-rabies-to-peshawarites/

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, roo860 said:

????????

About ten Doctors/Nurses from four different hospitals all said the same thing (and two of those were Government hospitals where the Doctors wouldn't have financially benefited ) and prescribed the same treatment , which is either an amazing coincidence or they all conspired with each other.........................or it was the required treatment .

Its common knowledge that if you get bitten by a species of  animal that carries rabies , that you need to get a rabies vaccine , you don't need a university degree to know that

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 3:19 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I went next door to their sister hospital Sri Pat and I ended up in Maharaj where they hade the vaccine , they had to stick the needle/vaccine into the open would (teeth marks ) six times 

I'm not going to go through the whole thread to find out, but did you get a gamma globulin injection as well?

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/hrig.html#:~:text=Human rabies immune globulin (HRIG,producing antibodies of its own.

28 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I'm not going to go through the whole thread to find out, but did you get a gamma globulin injection as well?

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/hrig.html#:~:text=Human rabies immune globulin (HRIG,producing antibodies of its own.

Yes, they can also make that vaccine from horses , but I am allergic that that vaccine and i needed to get the vaccine made from Humans , which is rare and difficult to get hold and that's why I had to go to four different hospitals to find it and they injected it straight into the open wound about six times to spread the vaccine around a bit   .

Needle into the teeth marks 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

????????

If the OP had been sold the idea by a private hospital I might have some sympathy for your sarcasm. But, he ended up getting the shot at the government run District Hospital where doctors don't benefit directly from patient charges. Additionally, the OP also visited a number of private hospitals beforehand, none of which benefited financially from him being there and none of them even hinted that the rabies shot might not be necessary. Even the most cynical farang might be inclined to think that in the course of that journey he would have met at least one scrupulous doctor, assuming the majority are not, and told that he would be OK without the shot. That didn't happen, several doctors at several hospitals, every doctor he met in fact, all steered him towards getting the shot. Perhaps this was because they hadn't heard of AN Forum posters who can search the web to find supportive evidence suggesting a rabies shot isn't necessary for a rat bite, or, perhaps it was because they erred on the side of caution and were trained to avoid risk. It's difficult, follow @Britmans googling skills or follow the advice of several trained doctors, on balance I think I know which one I'd choose!. 

• Like 1