Fruitless: Tourists they face jail time for bringing fruits to Thailand, govt warns

webfact

Inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed.

Some off topic posts and replies about bringing cheese into Thailand have been removed as this topic is about:

Fruitless: Tourists they face jail time for bringing fruits to Thailand, govt warns

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I recall flying into Perth with a golf bag as I intended playing golf while there. The customs officer asked if I had golf shoes in my luggage, which of course I did. He then proceeded to check them, decided they were dirty with strands of grass and the like, and took them away to clean them.

he did an excellent job but didn’t seem so happy when I asked him if he could also clean my black leather work shoes ????????

I had a boss who travelled to New Zealand on a regular basis and went through the RED lane and declared her golf shoes. These were cleaned thoroughly and returned in a pristine condition. A win win situation she said, but was not describing her golfing prowess.

7 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

You were very very lucky not to be fined. An Australian was fined over $2,000 for failing to declare a subway sandwich. 

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/aussie-traveller-hit-with-2664-fine-after-failing-to-declare-subway-sandwich-c-7516246

Hilary Swank was fined $200 for failing to declare an apple and a organge on arrival in NZ,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/mar/31/filmnews.film

The cautionary customs regulations regarding agricultural products/food stuffs are all too commonplace throughout the world's borders and airports....

Not only are these particular laws and regulations political in nature, but more importantly act in protecting local agriculture from distinctly foreign pests or disease. 

It has it's place.

• Like 1

A post commenting on moderation has been removed. 

13. You will not publicly comment on moderation in an open forum. You will not comment on actions taken by individual moderators or on specific or general policies and issues. You will not post a negative emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. You may send a private message to a moderator to discuss individual actions or you can email support (at) aseannow.com to discuss moderation policy and account suspensions. Aggression or abuse against moderators is not tolerated and any such action will be sanctioned. There is no excuse for abuse.

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: anyone with solid information on this would be providing valuable advice. 

Try this link.

http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Food%20and%20Agricultural%20Import%20Regulations%20and%20Standards%20-%20Narrative_Bangkok_Thailand_8-14-2009.pdf

On 4/12/2023 at 3:24 PM, JensenZ said:

This reminds me of my own experience back in about 1998. I was flying from US to Australia. I packed 2 bananas in my carry on bag which I intended to eat on board. I'd forgotten about them, and when I was picking up my bags at the Brisbane airport the sniffer dogs were getting excited at the smell of overripe bananas.

They did a full search and treated me like a criminal due to an obvious mistake. Wtf would anyone smuggle 2 overripe bananas (practically mush at this point) into Australia. Customs officers are not allowed to use common sense. The whole customs team was totally bamboozled and didn't know what to do. I was there for hours, waiting for a decision. Luckily they didn't arrest me and sent a fine in the mail.

This is no way to treat tourists... over fruit. A tourist is not importing fruit, but bringing something to eat. Just throw it in a bin and tell the tourist it's not allowed.

You are not importing fruit but diseases and pests that are not indigenous to the Australian continent and that's why they are so strict.

• Thumbs Up 1

anyone bringing smelly fruit on an airplane should immediately be blacklisted, returned to their country and their passports revoked forever, never again allowed to cross their border, amen

Edited by cncltd1973
cheekiness
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Would you prefer the warning that it is illigal to bring fruit into Thailand and what the fine is or do you prefer to show up without a clue and get busted  for the fruit you have brought with you. Alot of people just want to moan and groan about Thailand. I think a few of you just want an excuse to bitch.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

You are not importing fruit but diseases and pests that are not indigenous to the Australian continent and that's why they are so strict.

I'm not importing anything. Sniffer dogs have no problem detecting forgotten lunch and rotten fruit, which is something a lot of people inadvertantly do.

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

Alot of people just want to moan and groan about Thailand. I think a few of you just want an excuse to bitch.

Yet most people feel that threatening tourists with a huge fine and imprisonment over a piece of fruit is too much. This is not just an "excuse to bitch", but an actual good reason to bitch LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

still kicking is right and your reply is wrong. Even if you did forget that the bananas were in your carry-on bag, as you claim, your memory would have been jogged when you were completing the arrival card. You obviously answered the question with regards to food as NO. So the treatment you received was what you deserved for FALSELY completing your arrival card.

Your answer is absurd. Had I remebered the 2 bananas (that I packed in my backpack in Atlanta to eat on board) by the time I got to Brisbane airport about a day later, I would have thrown them out on the plane. LOL. Second option would be to throw them in the discard bin before going through customs.

You think I should have declared the 2 rotten bananas so I could eat them later or make a banana smoothy? That the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard - declaring rotten bananas on the arrival card.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

This isn't comparable. Australia wants to remain disease free (as far as possible). Hence it is for environmental reasons. Thailand has just about every disease under the sun. In the OPs case, it is purely to protect local fruit growing industries. 

It is comparible as a lot of people pack food in their carry-ons to eat on board, and on long flights, forget about the items... potentially getting a year in jail according to the new regulations in Thailand.

On shorter budget flights, the airplane food is terrible. I've carried my own lunch on many flights over my many years of flying around the globe. I forgot to eat my carry-on fruit one time --- sorry!

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Just throw it in a bin and tell the tourist it's not allowed".

If you bothered to read the OP properly you'd know that that is what usually happens.

So according to your good reading skills, you discovered this is what "usually happens". Perhaps you could explain the reason for this warning about a fine/jail time if they "usually" just confiscate the items. Is it just to scare people, or only for the unusual occassions?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, kennw said:

You obviously did not read the many warnings or announcments about fruit, plants etc. not allowed to enter Australia due to bio-risk. Just get rid of it before you get on board. As an Island Australia is free from many bio problems and they are just trying to keep it that way. Just use your common sense.

My overripe  banana story has attracted too much attention from virtuous members with great memories who never make mistakes, and then proceed to lecture me about Australian regulations, that I am well aware of.

You obviously didn't read my post. Had you read it, you would have understood that I forgot about the bananas after a very long flight. I'm quite aware of the law and the discard bin as I've flown into Australia many times over the years. This was the first time I had forgotten my packed food. This has nothing to do with common sense.

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Nice excuse. Ignorance isn't an excuse in the excuse In the eyes of the law

Oh goodness. The virtuous members never quit. I expected a fine - I got a fine. It was the drama they caused over 2 rotten bananas that made the story a bit more interesting. Had I just received a fine, I would not have written about the event.

It has nothing to do with excuses or ignorance - I just plain forgot.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

You were very very lucky not to be fined. An Australian was fined over $2,000 for failing to declare a subway sandwich. 

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/aussie-traveller-hit-with-2664-fine-after-failing-to-declare-subway-sandwich-c-7516246

Hilary Swank was fined $200 for failing to declare an apple and a organge on arrival in NZ,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/mar/31/filmnews.film

Actually, I eat a lot of Subways, so would have preferred to have gotten a fine like Jessica Lee and received a gift box from Subway, including a $2664 voucher to spend at Subway. She did well.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/travel-stories/shock-twist-after-womans-2664-subway-fine-at-airport/news-story/7b459b45e8e0a041d6cebd5fdff572db

"To her surprise, Subway sent her a voucher for $2664 worth of food following the fine."

By contrast, in inflation adjusted AUD from 1998, my 2 bananas cost me about $500 in 2023 money and I had no offer of free bananas to cover my expenses.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

and on long flights, forget about the items

Nice excuse. Ignorance isn't an excuse in the excuse In the eyes of the law

Neither is something like this ‘crime of the century’ - the contempt with which the customs treat people as if they are career-drugs-traffickers is over the top... These obvious mistakes ‘could’ be handled with some humanity. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1