Wind and solar power produced a record amount of the world’s electricity last year.

Social Media

Experts are calling time on the fossil age as new analysis shows wind and solar power produced a record amount of the world’s electricity last year.

The renewables generated 12 per cent of global electricity in 2022, up from 10 per cent the previous year, according to the report from clean energy think tank Ember.

And while a small increase in coal burning pushed electricity emissions up to an all-time high, analysts predict this will be the peak of pollution.

“In this decisive decade for the climate, it is the beginning of the end of the fossil age,” says lead author Małgorzata Wiatros-Motyka. “We are entering the clean power era.”

If clean power meets all new demand this year as expected, Ember’s fourth annual Global Electricity Review forecasts a small fall in fossil generation in 2023. Larger falls are set to follow, as wind and solar deployment ramps up.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Question:

What percent of the world's electricity demand is supplied by wind and solar?

ChatGPT Answer:

According to the International Energy Agency, in 2020, wind and solar energy supplied around 10% of the world's electricity demand. This is expected to increase in the coming years as more countries transition towards renewable energy sources.

So the article is incorrect.  There has only been a two percent increase of wind and solar over the last TWO years.  So 1% per year.

88% remains so if it looks like I will not even see 30% solar and win in my lifetime.  And lets not forget these early conversions are all of the easy nuts to crack....1% per year will not be sustainable.

Got a link for that?

Wind and solar generated 10% of global electricity in 2021 - a world first

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/04/wind-solar-electricity-global-energy/

Also it's clear you don't understand how compounding percentages doesn't work. by your way of figuring, By your way of thinking there is no such thing as compound interest.

And th most important thing to note, this is only about power that has come online. It says nothing about now solar and wind energy under construction.

Renewable power’s growth is being turbocharged as countries seek to strengthen energy security

https://www.iea.org/news/renewable-power-s-growth-is-being-turbocharged-as-countries-seek-to-strengthen-energy-security

12 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Hilarious.  What don't you just type my exact question into ChatGBT.

Why should I? Why is that preferable to what an actual recognized authority says? Next you'll be telling me to ask the Wizard of Oz.

In addition, I see you have absolutely no answer for the fact that most new power under construction will be wind and solar.

And your master of math is still clearly questionable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Because you are the numpty questioning the answer given by ChatGBT.

I suggest you stay at home today.  You are wound up far too tight at the moment for heading out in public on your mobility scooter.

You have a point. I'm the numpty because I only looked at current completed power plants and not at what was in the pipeline which showed an overwhelming majority of new power will be coming from wind and solar. How could I be so stupid? Oh wait...that was you.

And then I decided that there was no such thing as compounding when it come to percentages. How could I be so stupid.? Oh wait...that was you...

But the stupidest thing I did was to trust some AI source over hard facts. How could I be so stupid as to treat as infallible as an AI engine when the facts contradict it? It's like I'm a member of a cult and place absolute trust in my leader even when reality contradicts him or it as the case may be. How could I be so stupid? Oh wait, that was you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2023 at 3:26 AM, KhunLA said:

Record amount, but still minimal.   What a joke.

Not minimal, just not enough...

Germany's power production from renewable energy rose in 2022, but it is still below the threshold needed to reach the target of generating 80% of electricity from renewables by 2030, the Environment Agency said on Monday.

Renewable energy is expected to account for around 46% of German power consumption this year, up from 41% a year earlier, the agency said in its annual report. - Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germanys-2022-renewable-power-production-rises-still-behind-2030-target-2022-12-11/

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I was referring to the 'global' ... record amount ????

From OP:

"Experts are calling time on the fossil age as new analysis shows wind and solar power produced a record amount of the world’s electricity last year......The renewables generated 12 per cent of global electricity in 2022"

That's just embarrassing ... 

I think you are again short of evidence - just look at the Chinese solr panel industry and countries like OZ.

The UK has wind power at sea but currently a moratorium on land-based wind farms.

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Not minimal, just not enough...

Germany's power production from renewable energy rose in 2022, but it is still below the threshold needed to reach the target of generating 80% of electricity from renewables by 2030, the Environment Agency said on Monday.

Renewable energy is expected to account for around 46% of German power consumption this year, up from 41% a year earlier, the agency said in its annual report. - Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germanys-2022-renewable-power-production-rises-still-behind-2030-target-2022-12-11/

Meanwhile Germany closed it's non carbon emitting nuclear power plants and is using more coal to generate electricity.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Should be perhaps, but unlikely to happen, given who has the money to make it so.

When alternatives make them more profit than fossil fuel it will happen.

There is money and the economics obviously make sense to become less dependant on Russia.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Meanwhile Germany closed it's non carbon emitting nuclear power plants and is using more coal to generate electricity.

Germany is weening off coal too....as ever, you seem very poorly informed.

Nuclear is a highly cintravesial alternative due to waste dudposal and the huge cost.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, kwilco said:

Germany is weening off coal too....as ever, you seem very poorly informed.

Nuclear is a highly cintravesial alternative due to waste dudposal and the huge cost.

France loves their nuclear power generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_France

Since the mid 1980s, the largest source of electricity in France is Nuclear power, with a generation of 379.5 TWh in 2019 and a total electricity production of 537.7 TWh.[1] In 2018, the nuclear share was 71.67%,[2] the highest percentage in the world.[3]

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

France loves their nuclear power generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_France

Since the mid 1980s, the largest source of electricity in France is Nuclear power, with a generation of 379.5 TWh in 2019 and a total electricity production of 537.7 TWh.[1] In 2018, the nuclear share was 71.67%,[2] the highest percentage in the world.[3]

It's like they're in an abusive relationship and the worse that nuclear power performs the more they love it.

EDF posts record loss in France due to reactor outages
17 February 2023

France's EDF has reported record annual losses of EUR17.9 billion (USD19.0 billion) for 2022, largely due to nuclear power reactor outages in its French fleet for maintenance and repair work. 

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/EDF-posts-record-loss-in-France-due-to-reactor-out#:~:text=In France%2C state-controlled EDF's,to the Covid-19 pandemic.

France's new-generation nuclear plant delayed again

Electricity giant EDF on Wednesday announced a further delay and cost overruns for France's flagship new-generation nuclear plant, in a blow to President Emmanuel Macron's strategy of making atomic power a cornerstone of energy policy...

.Projected costs had increased by another 300 million euros ($340 million) to 12.7 billion euros, EDF said -- around four times more than the initial forecast of 3.3 billion euros.

Construction on the new-generation EPR plant began in 2007, and was supposed to be finished in 2012

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220112-france-s-new-generation-nuclear-plant-delayed-again