"Rocketman" Eric Teboul taken to hospital after motorcycle collision with Russian tourist in Phuket

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

A former world motorcycle racing champion with multiple speed records to his name has come a cropper on the Thai roads.

Eric Teboul - know as the Rocketman after breaking the world quarter mile record on a bike just months ago - collided with another Honda ridden by Oleg Afanasenko, a Russian holidaymaker.

The accident happened on a bend near the scenic viewpoint of Laem Singh. Mr Teboul was going to Kamala Beach and the Mr Afanasenko was going to Talang in the opposite direction.

Both were tested for the consumption of alcohol, both were negative.

Mr Teboul had an injury to his right arm near the elbow and was taken to hospital.

Witnesses suggested that the Russian had veered into the path of the Frenchman at the bend.

Kamala police have taken both bikes to the police station and are examining the road and taking statements to inform their investigation.

The accident happened just after midday yesterday, reported Thai Rath.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Haha 2

No matter how experienced you are Thailand's roads are so very dangerous. Tourist's who can turn up at a shope show I'd and ride off into the sunset (zero training). Mix in Thai driving and then add a little thai ego, well what could go wrong? Went to pick the wife and her friend up from an island trip and even before I left the village 3 times a thai on a scooter just pulled out infront of me. The whole 15km journey was full of very bad dangerous drivers from crawling along, pulling across 3 lanes to speeding weavingthrough traffic.  Reminded me of taking the children to school before we left......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, rabiedabruce said:

Particularly with the bloody Russians here. I hear them bombing along the Vichit Road every night on their Big Bikes. They have no concern for anyone else, anywhere. I'd thought they were going to clamp down on the renting of these types of bikes? Oh right, money in it.

Russians on big bikes on Viset road? I don't see that, I see small families on pcx's, especially in the weekend.

Come to Thailand and act like your on a MotoGP course and then **** happens.
I see it all the time, and of course eventually they drop their bikes. 
Lucky he didn't become a Thai motorcycle fatality statistic.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

No matter how experienced you are Thailand's roads are so very dangerous. Tourist's who can turn up at a shope show I'd and ride off into the sunset (zero training). Mix in Thai driving and then add a little thai ego, well what could go wrong? Went to pick the wife and her friend up from an island trip and even before I left the village 3 times a thai on a scooter just pulled out infront of me. The whole 15km journey was full of very bad dangerous drivers from crawling along, pulling across 3 lanes to speeding weavingthrough traffic.  Reminded me of taking the children to school before we left......

Driving on Thai roads on a motorcycle is an new experience to even most proficient motorcyclists.  They expect the roads to conform to their experiences on Western roads.  Then they come here to find there are no rules and drivers do the most moronic things on the road.
Hence: The Most Dangerous Roads In The World where 80% of the fatalities are: motorcyclists.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rabiedabruce said:

Particularly with the bloody Russians here. I hear them bombing along the Vichit Road every night on their Big Bikes. They have no concern for anyone else, anywhere. I'd thought they were going to clamp down on the renting of these types of bikes? Oh right, money in it.

You hear them bombing along....’ and somehow know they are Russians ???? erm...  would you be negatively bias against Russians by any chance ????

This is just another bike on bike incident - newbie tourists, reckless tourists, drunk tourists, drunk long-termer, reckless long-termer, drunk-Thai’s, reckless-Thai’s......    to sum it all up... there are more ‘careless’ riders here than many other places primarily due to the apathy of law enforcement....  that simply means there are more easily avoidable incidents...  nothing to do with ‘Russians’ unless they are involved in incidents at a far greater proportional rate than any other nationality. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Come to Thailand and act like your on a MotoGP course and then **** happens.
I see it all the time, and of course eventually they drop their bikes. 
Lucky he didn't become a Thai motorcycle fatality statistic.

Huh ???..... thats some hyperbolae you have climbed... 

Because someone is an experienced racer you jump to the conclusion that the were ‘acting like they are on a Moto-GP course’.....  ???......     Your response is devoid of any common logic whatsoever, particularly when the opening article states an eye witness stated 'the Russian veered into the path of the Frenchman’....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

End of speculation, the witnesses have it.

Well... IF the witnesses were clear in stating the Russian cut the corner and knocked the Frenchman off is bike there is little space for doubt...  

However, as we all surely know by now, witness statements are rarely 100% factual and subject to interpretation and evolution. 

This is why I have a ‘dash-cam’ on my motorcycle...  there is little room for potentially inaccurate witness statements or 'he-said-she-said’ when something is captured on video camera. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Note to self: If thoughts arise to ride a motocy in LOS slap face repeatedly until thoughts disappear. Repeat as necessary. lol ???? 

Its lovely to ride along on a bike, I totally get it. A great feeling of to ride free and in the wind. I loved the the Mae Hong Son loop ride every year or so.

Riding here is great especially in the heat of LOS but its a very, very risky business my compadres.

11 hours ago, rabiedabruce said:

Are they talking so loud while they ride the bikes that you know they are Russians?

On 4/13/2023 at 3:15 AM, BritScot said:

Defensive riding not much help when surrounded by what are de-facto "kamikaze" riders.......native and foreign.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The road there towards Surin Beach is an off camber S bend, report says the Russian ended up on the opposite side of rd in the French guys lane causing a head on collision - If I was a betting man Russians come in way to fast overshot into opposite lane, if was a car or Minivan that frequent the area Russian would have been dead.

Hope the Russian has the correct Insurance to cover the poor unlucky French dudes injuries

Is a great enjoyable bit of road, by its nature dangerous to those that are unwary and travelling too fast