No obscenity and no nakedness! Foreign and Thai tourists warm up for Khao San water wars today

webfact

493101475075529de8feeda7477e2ab0d86b4cb4ed18b7b175c0de6966ef22be.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported from Khao San Road yesterday in the Thai capital Bangkok.

Even though it was a day ahead of the road closure for Songkran water fights that start today, Thai and foreign tourists were getting in some practice.

5dfd72761d6adf7c1a117130d6596a866d7019e088210c8c51c0eabe74c74a9d.jpg

The road will be closed from noon to 8pm today, tomorrow and Saturday.

But there are strict rules in place for the visitors:

1 No Obscenity
2 No nakedness
3 No use of powder
4 No high powered water guns

0cae0281ac3b1daced020746fa09a845a0ea5545c82c6b9a0913007b137ad16b.jpg

There are also checkpoints at each end of the Banglamphu tourist street to stop alcohol and inappropriate Songkran weaponry.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

59b8cd87cbbb87b007c437c22087884d070c46fec0f6d2911a5be4d6622b9beb.jpg
5b5c60f23d575bddf4e3a2345bf1371ffc292964f07823192e710248fc5bc7ab.jpg

quote from the OP.

The road will be closed from noon to 8pm today, tomorrow and Saturday.

But there are strict rules in place for the visitors:

1 No Obscenity
2 No nakedness
3 No use of powder
4 No high powered water guns

Does that apply to Thais as well as visitors?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Question: Why is Songkran festival dangerous?

ChatGPT Answer:

Songkran festival, also known as the Thai New Year, can be dangerous because it involves a lot of water-throwing activities, which can lead to slippery roads and pools of water. This can cause accidents and injuries, especially if people are not careful while driving or walking around. In addition, some people may consume alcohol, which can impair their judgment and increase the risk of accidents. It's important to exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings during this festival to avoid any potential danger.

And don't trip down the stairs on the way out the door.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 5:39 AM, connda said:

Ahhhh after three years of pandemic - just let people have fun without "No This!" and "No That!"

With that said, Mrs Connda and I have been to Big C and Makro to stock up and made a last run to 7-11 yesterday for snacks and we're hunkering down for the next week at home.

Everyone else?  Have fun and Happy Songkran!

I agree. Let people have fun and enjoy themselves, but I am also mostly staying in my room till Sunday. Water fight is not my thing. 

By the way, will tomorrow be okay to venture outside? For example, Nana area. Today is the last day of Songkran, but tomorrow is Sunday, so I was wondering if the water thing will continue tomorrow. Any thoughts? 

I will most probably take my risk anyway, and go out. I have been bored, being mostly in my room since Thursday morning.