Apple making big move to Thailand as production shifts from China

webfact

On 4/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, sandyf said:

A deal for what exactly, expand the existing service centre?

The Chinese factory has been on the go since 2008 and the agreement was extended in 2018 until 2025. Only last week a new agreement was agreed to double capacity.

China is the biggest user of Airbus aircraft in the region so the obvious location for production. 

https://www.airbus.com/en/our-worldwide-presence/airbus-in-asia-pacific/airbus-in-thailand

Yes, I believe it was for a TH service/maintenance center.

Using your above-stated logic, as China is about the biggest user of everything, maybe we should all just pack it in and let them be the “obvious location” for producing everything ? ????

However, I suggest that there is a bit more nuance involved in global geopolitical and economic decisions and if anything, that with COVID supply chain disruption the tide is turning away from globalisation in general including a re-evaluation of China’s global role after the Ukraine situation.

History will judge in due course whether the seemingly logical approach of global engagement via economic means post cold-war, in an attempt to build a stable world, was successful or whether it was just manipulated by certain countries for their own gain…..

18 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Using your above-stated logic, as China is about the biggest user of everything, maybe we should all just pack it in and let them be the “obvious location” for producing everything ? 

Obviously context is not your strong point.

If China was the biggest user of everything that wouldn't mean there wasn't enough demand to warrant production in other countries.

Tell us, how many countries have enough domestic demand to warrant aircraft production, how the China Airbus factory came about in the first place.

There are only 6 Airbus factories worldwide and 3 of them are in the EU, plus US, Canada and China.

On 4/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, phetphet said:

Will it make any difference to the prices though?

Yea, but possibly up.   I've bought camera gear here, same price or worse, more expensive than the USA, and it was 'Made in TH' ????

On 4/13/2023 at 5:34 AM, KiChakayan said:

China same same Thailand, and quality likely to be worse here.  To make sense to should shift it to highly automated US factories,

Apple move to the US.. never happen. Maybe Mexico. I thought Apple had doubled down in China. 

Edited by Gknrd