18,000 cows killed in Texas dairy farm explosion

Social Media

Approximately 18,000 cows were killed in a blast at a Texas dairy farm earlier this week, according to local authorities.

The explosion, at South Fork Dairy near the town of Dimmitt, also left one person in critical condition.

Authorities believe that machinery in the facility may have ignited methane gas.

Nearly three million farm animals died in fires across the US between 2018 and 2021.

Castro County Sheriff's Office said they had received a report of a fire at the farm at about 19:21 on Monday (00:21 GMT Tuesday).

Photos posted by the Sheriff's Office show a huge plume of black smoke rising from the ground.

When police and emergency personnel arrived at the scene, they found one person trapped who had to be rescued and flown to hospital in critical condition.

18 hours ago, Social Media said:

Approximately 18,000 cows were killed in a blast at a Texas dairy farm earlier this week, according to local authorities.

The links don't work for me, but that's an awful lot of cows for it to be called a farm.

The farms I worked on milking cows had less than 200 cows.

Sounds more like the cow version of caged chickens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The links don't work for me, but that's an awful lot of cows for it to be called a farm.

The farms I worked on milking cows had less than 200 cows.

Sounds more like the cow version of caged chickens.

I don't suppose for one minute that those cows had ever felt grass underfoot or the sun on their backs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

I don't suppose for one minute that those cows had ever felt grass underfoot or the sun on their backs.

I visited a dairy farm in Saudi that had all the cows ( a lot but not 18000 ) in big sheds with huge fans as they would have died in the heat outside. All the feed was grown with irrigation on the desert sand and transported to the sheds.

In that case, the cows would not have appreciated the sun on their backs, but they were not restrained in the sheds, and could roam around.

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

It was said that the barn was more than 2.1m sq ft (198k sq meters).......  I would say it could have held quite a few cows? 

Cows fart a lot it’s part of their digestive process guess one fart to many and kaboom!

5 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

It was said that the barn was more than 2.1m sq ft (198k sq meters).......  I would say it could have held quite a few cows?

I just did some quick calculations and figured that it would hold approximately 18,000 cows ????

• Haha 1