A question about Re-Entry Permit with a new (additional) Retirement Extension

If I get e.g. 30 days before expiration of my current Retirement Extension a new extension for 1 year, can I use my Re-Entry permit for the still one month valid (old) extension, e.g. for a short trip with return to TH before expiration of the "old" retirement extension?

It is unclear whether Immigration would let you. If they did, you would be most unwise to avail yourself of that option. The effect would be that you return to Thailand on the un-extended permission to stay. If you want to travel after received the extension, get a fresh re-entry permit that covers the full period of your extended permission to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When you get your renewal (extension of stay based on Retirement) can you not get a new ‘re-entry permit’ at the same time ?

OR... are you simply thinking of saving the 1900 baht (cost of single re-entry permit) and not planning on travelling for the remainder of this year’s extension of stay ?

Re-entry permit is valid as long as you RETURN within the validity of the old extension.  

You need a new re-entry permit to return at any time the new extension is in force, you cannot roll your multi re-entry into the new extension.   

So leaving on the old extensions re-entry permit, and returning after the new extension is in force is not going to work. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OR... are you simply thinking of saving the 1900 baht (cost of single re-entry permit) and not planning on travelling for the remainder of this year’s extension of stay ?

Correct, thank you.

My question was related to the fact that I still have a reentrance permit issued on the old extension that is still valid, but I do not plan to leave TH in the entire year of the new extension.

1 hour ago, phuketcouple said:

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

By the way: cost of single re-entry permit is THB 1,000 instead of 1,900 Baht.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:47 PM, couchpotato said:

Yes--when you return they will stamp you only up to the extension expiry date.

I have done that. A few years back now. Exited with re entry permit on a non O year's extension with a couple of months validity left. Re entered with less than 3 weeks  left. The officer at Suvarnabhumi stamped me in for that period and pointed this out. Once home I went straight to my IO and applied for a further years extension. It was granted. If it had not been granted I planned to head to Savannaket for a fresh non O visa. 

4 hours ago, kimothai said:

I was told at immigration a long time ago your re-entry permit is tied to the extension you used to apply for the re-entry permit. Once you update/renew the extension the re-entry permit is no longer valid. 

Yes. The re entry permit is tied to and shows the same expiry date as the extension on which it issued. So if the OP gets a fresh extension before leaving he will need to get a fresh re entry permit tied to it or he will have wasted his time and the fees as without the fresh re entry permit his new extension will be cancelled on exit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2023 at 12:17 PM, kimothai said:

I was told at immigration a long time ago your re-entry permit is tied to the extension you used to apply for the re-entry permit. Once you update/renew the extension the re-entry permit is no longer valid. 

I received an extension (one-year, retirement) at CW several years back, about 30 days ahead of the one I had expiring. I asked about this type of situation, whether the existing re-entry permit stamp in my passport, showing validity for the next 30 days, could be used for a trip out-and-back completed within that time frame.

No was the answer. If I wanted to take a trip, I'd need a 'fresh' re-entry permit. Why chance it? Get a new re-entry permit, issue solved.

Edited by rwilem