Any “ preppers “ here?

Kwaibill

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, I'm a pepper. 

Moved to Thailand to survive the zombie apocalypse. House full of swords to chop their brains. 

Solar power and terabytes of movies/books for entertainment in the post apocalyptic world. 

Ceramic water filter to clean the buffalo pee from the klong behind my house. 

what kind of movies? 

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't store much food, though do stock up, and can go a month without shopping if had to.  Should start canning fruit though, when in season.  Simply makes sense.  Add that to all the other cooking from scratch we do, as not fans or processed food.

Prepped ... don't need any municipal service, have solar, EVs & rain water if needed.  Few kms from surf, so will never go hungry.  Surrounded by coconut & pineapple farms, beside own garden, a work in progress.

@CharlieH Thanks for Mason Jar link

5 hours ago, streetlite said:

Can you can Durian?

You would need a gurt big can!

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Or build your own.

A few decades ago I made one from an old dishwasher.

Two months ago I bought a cold drink cabinet from a scrap dealer and made a much better one.

Smaller space heater thru the bottom back wall, simple vent hole in upper back wall, and digital controller for the heater. Used the existing internal fan from the cooler to churn air inside. PVC  pipe frames for stainless steel mesh for trays.

I'm glad to share details; PM me. I bought some parts on Lazada. Cabinet 1000฿, total cost about 2000.

I love my 'tomato chips' and other dried fruits and veggies.

Nice!!

Reminds me of the two things I made back in the USA using old refrigerators. One was a smoker to smoke the many Kokanee salmon that my friends and I snagged. The other was a CO2 kegerator which was heavily used.....  Damn I miss those pony kegs of great Colorado microbrews!

2 hours ago, Foghorn said:

Strawberries can be frozen and used for baking pies....  Luv strawberry-rhubarb pie!!!

and where you get the rhubarb from 

Well back in the USA I had a couple plants growing at the edge of my strawberry patch. Here in LOS I found some at Rimping when I was living in Chiang Mai. That was about 2 or 3 years ago and was the last time I was doing any serious baking.

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

Nothing to do with the food side, but I'm a licenced shortwave radio amateur in Thailand (for the past 20 years).  My station operates from a battery, recharged by solar panels and so if 'off-grid' from my little house in the coconut plantations on Koh Phangan.  It's no problem to communicate worldwide with my station and I often send out TV pictures on the shortwave bands (see photo). I also have various DIY antennas that can receive weather satellite images.  If the internet goes down I can still send emails using the Winlink shortwave email system.

my-house.jpg.815282fdcdf884ddb9937efb9bed5087.jpgstation.thumb.jpg.5fb475a59eb3ad8c50c19808f80b4a64.jpgCQ.jpg.faed0530d39d03a1b3f6457f1303a219.jpg

I used to have a pal in the UK who was into "Ham radio". In some ways it was fascinating. What used to amuse me was, having made contact with a new "call sign" over the airwaves, he would send him a postcard by mail. I never really understood that bit...

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You Can get kilo bags of frozen fruits at Makro , Strawberry ,blackberry,,raspberry,

reasonable price , I get jars from local bakery supply , yesterday the wife brought

3 kg Mangoes from the market ,40 THB , so i made mango chutney , got 6 jars 

cost about 25 THB a jar , I use it a lot so it's a big saving, I get the AK47 next week

so i can be a real prepper ????.....bring it on.

regards worgeordie

Presumably the AK is just in case the mangoes turn on you?

12 hours ago, Seppius said:

Not a prepper, but i do buy a bag of noddles every time I shop, got a cupboard full of them

I wonder if mealworms or weevils get into unopened noodles the way weevils do to unopened bags of pasta.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I used to have a pal in the UK who was into "Ham radio". In some ways it was fascinating. What used to amuse me was, having made contact with a new "call sign" over the airwaves, he would send him a postcard by mail. I never really understood that bit...

Yes, QSL cards.  It's a way of cementing a new friendship and also proof of that radio contact because there are many award certificates that the radio ham can apply for, such as making contact with radio hams in 100 different countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I wonder if mealworms or weevils get into unopened noodles the way weevils do to unopened bags of pasta.

I don't think they get into it, they came with the pasta ????

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I don't think they get into it, they came with the pasta ????

Yea, you're right. They are already "in" the pasta and hatch out if you go too long without eating it first. So will flour. One way around it is to store the pasta in the freezer, but that sort of undercuts the strategy of buying in bulk to prepare for food shortages and power outages. Still wonder if weevils hatch out of noodles too.

Edited by John Drake

May have to buy a small freezer.   Went to restock frozen blueberries at Makro, and usually buy 3 bags ... bought the last 1 today ????

Blueberries are a must have ????

Usually keep a month's worth of my 1st meal on hand:

corn flakes

rolled oats

slivered almonds

raisins

blueberries

UHT milk, as back up, JIC

Along with month's supply of coffee beans, bread flour & meats.

Other perishables, pick up as needed, once a week, as not a fan of food shopping.

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yea, you're right. They are already "in" the pasta and hatch out if you go too long without eating it first. So will flour. One way around it is to store the pasta in the freezer, but that sort of undercuts the strategy of buying in bulk to prepare for food shortages and power outages. Still wonder if weevils hatch out of noodles too.

free protein for you soup ????

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Any pasta,rice,noodles goes straight in the freezer , kills the eggs off

before they hatch,

regards Worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Ceramic water filter to clean the buffalo pee from the klong behind my house.

did you know that fluoride is poisonous and it helps calcifies your pinneal gland? Descartes said your pinneal gland is the root of your soul ????

19 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Anyway, I have these “ hobbies”,  but there does not seem to be much Thai interest in such.

yeah I have a few hobbies now, like not eating carbs and sugars and not taking *****........and being 'skinny'......

I imagine me/we are very much in the minority around here....

I can cycle to visit you for a chat and a glass of water (I don't drink either) if you're not too far away? lol

I buy frozen peaches / apricots / mandarins / various other fruits to bottle from Makro. The glass jars I use come from the family and neighbours who eat jams and assorted pastes etc. All jars and lids are boiled in water / vinegar solution before use.

Although I devote a whole shelf in the fridge to my delights, I could store the bottled fruits in a cupboard. When the fruits are cooling down (in iced water) you can hear the seal of the lid 'pop' tight shut and the button goes down forming a vacuum. When in season, I also pickle several kilos of beetroot, onions, small cucumbers etc. 

I've got the time and enthusiasm to enjoy the fruits of my labour! ???? 

Edited by Madgee
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Wheat and its products can be stored for decades in containers filled with nitrogen gas, but hardly worth the trouble. Even weevils need oxygen after all.

14 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Toilet paper will be the post apocalypse currency du jour. :coffee1:

During the COVID Lockdowns that was the case in Germany. In France, the most hoarded article were CONDOMS.

Does that tell us something of the "charakters of nations" ?.

True "preppers" have built their bunkers already, stacked with supplies lasting for 2 years.

Only problem: Someday they will have to emerge from their bunkers. If the ultimative "armageddon" should have happened in the meantime, they will feel "very alone", as the "non-prepping surface dwellers" will all have died.
How to organise a "resurrection" party when nobody is left to join the party and your underwear starts to glow in the dark?

Everybody not having built a bunker is not a true "prepper". Having accumulated 50 Kilos of pasta makes one merely a "Hamster", but not a true "prepper".

• Haha 2

On 4/16/2023 at 10:46 PM, worgeordie said:

You Can get kilo bags of frozen fruits at Makro , Strawberry ,blackberry,,raspberry,

reasonable price , I get jars from local bakery supply , yesterday the wife brought

3 kg Mangoes from the market ,40 THB , so i made mango chutney , got 6 jars 

cost about 25 THB a jar , I use it a lot so it's a big saving, I get the AK47 next week

so i can be a real prepper ????.....bring it on.

regards worgeordie

Frozen  Strawberry at Makro look like fake color added. As soon they defrozen the berries almost white and lots of colored water. 

Pink 

On 4/18/2023 at 12:01 AM, swissie said:

True "preppers" have built their bunkers already, stacked with supplies lasting for 2 years.

Only problem: Someday they will have to emerge from their bunkers. If the ultimative "armageddon" should have happened in the meantime, they will feel "very alone", as the "non-prepping surface dwellers" will all have died.
How to organise a "resurrection" party when nobody is left to join the party and your underwear starts to glow in the dark?

Everybody not having built a bunker is not a true "prepper". Having accumulated 50 Kilos of pasta makes one merely a "Hamster", but not a true "prepper".

I only 'prep' for a month or so, and only so I don't need to go shopping every day.  Can do on the scooter when I'm out every day on that, weather permitting.

USA, EU, RU & CH folks need to worry about prepping, not TH. They want to wipe each other out, fine, have at it, as too many humans on the planet anyway.   

Just think, no tourist, just like covid BLISS days here ..

... bring it, PLEASE

• Confused 1