Bert Elson, Pattaya’s British Honorary Consul, Retires

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

The following message is from the UK Embassy on their social media pages:

It is with great gratitude that we announce the retirement of our Honorary Consul to Pattaya, Bert Elson BEM.

Bert has been serving as Honorary Consul in Pattaya since 2013 and has provided exceptional service to British nationals in Pattaya during his tenure. He has worked tirelessly to ensure the safety and well-being of British citizens in Pattaya and has been a key point of contact for the Consular team in Bangkok.

In addition to his invaluable contributions to the Consular team, Bert has also been a dedicated member of the British community in Pattaya. His work with the Royal British Legion has been truly outstanding, and his efforts have made a significant impact on the lives of many British expatriates in the area.

Bert’s tireless commitment to the British community and his exceptional service to British nationals in Pattaya will be deeply missed. We extend our heartfelt thanks to Bert for his outstanding contributions and wish him all the best in his well-deserved retirement.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/04/16/bert-elson-pattayas-british-honorary-consul-retires/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Bert has been serving as Honorary Consul in Pattaya since 2013 and has provided exceptional service to British nationals in Pattaya during his tenure. He has worked tirelessly to ensure the safety and well-being of British citizens in Pattaya and has been a key point of contact for the Consular team in Bangkok.

Really?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, topt said:

I also missed it. Did not even know we still had one after they closed the office down that used to be close to Immigration in Soi 5.........

It would be a stretch to claim he has been serving as honorary consul in Pattaya when I thought he closed up on 6/1 some years ago, and was based on the dark side since. He is well thought of though.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It would be a stretch to claim he has been serving as honorary consul in Pattaya when I thought he closed up on 6/1 some years ago, and was based on the dark side since. He is well thought of though.

By whom? I never heard of him. Last one I heard of was Barry Kenyon, who was always high profile and generally a good helpful bloke.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Honorary Consul in Pattaya

How do I apply for the vacant position?

The prestige of it.

His look does fit the mould of the typical Uk expat in Pattaya IMO.

Thanks for all your hard work Bert.

You will be missed dearly.

Perhaps all those who have come up with usual and not unexpected crop of cynical and negative comments should read this from the full article.

'The Pattaya News wishes Bert a happy and safe retirement. He has assisted our team with numerous stories and British nationals in trouble in Pattaya and his professionalism and friendliness will be missed but he now has retirement to enjoy. Have a great retirement Bert!'

There are times, and this is one of them when this forum really does sicken me!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

His work with the Royal British Legion

When I lived in Thailand (Lanna), I joined the Royal British Legion in Chiang Mai and met Mister Elson on a couple of occasions when he attanded our AGMs. Originally, Chiang Mai members were recorded as Pattaya members and when it was decided by us "northerners" to form a Chiang Mai Branch this caused many "waves" with Pattaya. Mr Elson was very much a pro Pattaya resident. We eventually formed our branch with a full commitee. On 11th November 2022, the first Remembrance Day Service was held since the Covid-19 restrictions, organised by the Honorary British Consul (Chiang Mai) Mr Ben Svasti Thomson and the RBL.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grusa said:

By whom? I never heard of him. Last one I heard of was Barry Kenyon, who was always high profile and generally a good helpful bloke.

A lot of guys at The Expats Club knew him... particularly a few ex military types. 

BK is certainly a live wire......