Suggestions for a "Cheap Charlie" Smart Phone

connda

There are some areas in my life where I AM a Cheap Charlie.  Smartphones is one of those areas.  Why? In this day and age they are somewhat of a necessity - but?  I use them as little as possible.  For example I wanted to run Audible on my phone, but...Android 5.1 isn't supported.  I was able to find a workaround by downloading a APK file from two years ago before Audible no longer supported Android Lollipop. (Caveat - I don't need to be warned about the security issues of APK files).  :thumbsup:
Grrrr - I hate built-in obsolescence. 

And I keep running into that problem lately when attempting to install apps on my Oppo Older_Than_Dirt Phone running ColorOS over Android 5.1 and which I can not root.  Grrrr.

So ???? I guess it's time to bite the bullet.  But - I want an "unlocked", Cheap Charlie phone.
Apple iOS phones are out for all the ฿฿฿฿฿ Cha-Ching ฿฿฿฿฿ ????
Huawei phones are out because of the lack of the availability of apps that I need to use.
Oppo phones are out because I want the phone to actually runs Android and not some manufacturers proprietary OS that runs over the top of Android, like Oppo's ColorOS.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a dirt-cheap Android smartphone but one that has at least 32GB of onboard storage with the ability to add addition storage of between 64 to 512 GB via SD cards.
So let me toss it out there.  ????  Suggestion for phones?  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Samsung A4s

Now here's something interesting.  I'm checking price on Lazada for the Samsung A42 and interestingly the prices range from ฿6300 to ฿12000.  Looking at the specification (in Thai but I manage) I don't see any differences that would justify such a range of prices as the specs are essentially the same unless I'm missing something obvious.
What would warrant such price discrepancies?

Just now, connda said:

Now here's something interesting.  I'm checking price on Lazada for the Samsung A42 and interestingly the prices range from ฿6300 to ฿12000.  Looking at the specification (in Thai but I manage) I don't see any differences that would justify such a range of prices as the specs are essentially the same unless I'm missing something obvious.
What would warrant such price discrepancies?

Nice looking phone by the way spec-wise.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Go for a Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 or 11, very good value phones. 5k+, buying on Lazada is fine, official store is best

I'm checking review on this right now.

1 hour ago, connda said:

I'm checking review on this right now.

The Xiaomi Redmi Note series are definitely inexpensive.  The Samsung A42 is a much more powerful phone. It also has a pretty rocking camera.  That's a plus for me.  With a price difference with the cheapest Samsung A42 at 6300 THB, I can pay less than $60 to $100 to buy a phone with better reviews and options.  My budget is around 10K THB or less.
With that said, the Xiaomi Redmi is a really popular phone on Lazada.  At least one site was sold out. 

Edited by connda

4 hours ago, thaitom said:

Obsolete , will have problems downloading current apps, also ios updates discontinued

Wrong it is currently supported, the support will drop with iOS 17, all current app versions are available for download 

it is not an Android where support is cut after a couple of years.

7 hours ago, connda said:

The Xiaomi Redmi Note series are definitely inexpensive.  The Samsung A42 is a much more powerful phone. It also has a pretty rocking camera.  That's a plus for me.  With a price difference with the cheapest Samsung A42 at 6300 THB, I can pay less than $60 to $100 to buy a phone with better reviews and options.  My budget is around 10K THB or less.
With that said, the Xiaomi Redmi is a really popular phone on Lazada.  At least one site was sold out. 

If you get the Redmi Note S or Pro model the camera will be better. My Redmi Note 9 camera is easy good enough for me and better than my previous Samsung which was disappointing, i get a feeling Samsung quality is going down

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, connda said:

Looking at the specification (in Thai but I manage)

Google Lens can help with translation if you get stuck. I'd be lost here without it.

Edit: if you're using an Android phone to browse the Lazada app.

Edited by Lemsta69

I got an Vivo for 3000 bt android from AIS  unlocked......had it for years now and no issues......my western phone is a MOTO android i found at 2nd hand shop

def love MOTO phones as they are stock android with no bloatware and unlocked.....    AIS gives me 200 bt unlimited data/month for new users as well    win win

Cheap charlies unite!!!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, transam said:

Mine isn't, iPhone 6s Plus, updated yesterday to iOS 15.7.5..........:stoner:

Well, considering the IOS 16 was released in June 2022,   what do you think ?  the iphone 6s /plus got a reprieve to install ios 15*** 

Just now, thaitom said:

Well, considering the IOS 16 was released in June 2022,   what do you think ?  the iphone 6s /plus got a reprieve to install ios 15*** 

Very easy to look it up..........    iPhone 7 has ended support ,  iPhone will be next.   I would buy iPhone 11 at the very least now

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Wrong it is currently supported, the support will drop with iOS 17, all current app versions are available for download 

it is not an Android where support is cut after a couple of years.

Wrong,  so easy to find correct information ,  there is no support for iphone 6s ios 16. Says so on apple support .  iphone 8 on up is supported.  

3 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Wrong,  so easy to find correct information ,  there is no support for iphone 6s ios 16. Says so on apple support .  iphone 8 on up is supported.  

iOS 16 is not a requirement for any apps yet. They all function on iOS 15 the iPhone 6s was released in 2015. So you have 8 years of current availability for all apps.

This in contrast to android where if you get more than 3 years you are doing well

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Correct but limited information. Correct in that iOS 16 is not supported. Limited in that iOS 15 is still getting updates so has security support. Limited in that there is currently no app that will not install on iOS 15 and requires iOS 16

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, connda said:

So I'm looking for suggestions for a dirt-cheap Android smartphone but one that has at least 32GB of onboard storage with the ability to add addition storage of between 64 to 512 GB via SD cards.

I have been with TP link almost from when they first started with phones, had a C5 initially and changed to an X9 when the android version became a bit of a problem.

I have found them reliable and good value for money, My Neffos X9 was less than 4K on Lazada. It is 3GB/32GB dual sim, second sim can be an SD card. Maybe worth a look.

https://www.neffos.com/en/product

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thaitom said:

I am getting security updates, which means, for my phone typ, Apple is installing, security updates........................ :intheclub: