Suggestions for a "Cheap Charlie" Smart Phone

connda

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I got an Vivo for 3000 bt android from AIS  unlocked......had it for years now and no issues......my western phone is a MOTO android i found at 2nd hand shop

def love MOTO phones as they are stock android with no bloatware and unlocked.....    AIS gives me 200 bt unlimited data/month for new users as well    win win

Cheap charlies unite!!!

I got an Vivo unlocked for 2,600 bt from Big C ...... had it almost 4 years, and no issues does everything I need a phone for.....  

• Like 1

OP why didn't you simply list the price range you need to purchase a phone at?

I'm recommending the OnePlus Nord 3. Possibly a TCL phone I've been reading some reasonable reviews for them at the bottom end.

Personally, I've never paid more than about $300 US for a phone and usually I try to keep it under 10, 000b

Don't buy online unless it's from the official store. Even if it's from the official store run a video as you open the box so you can validate any scam that potentially is inside. be certain to check for purposeful spelling errors as well.

You want a Samsung not a Samsong ????????scam

Edited by Menken
  • Thanks 1

Just now, steven100 said:

yes .... I think i'm going to buy one of these ..

image.png.75550be458f66a0f784397395e39ab4e.png

So? What does that have to do with anything?

Not even comparable to what he is currently looking at:

https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10412&idPhone2=11924

It’s just poorly specced at the very least and who knows if you’ll ever be able to Cfind a replacement battery. Stop posting that nonsense everywhere. You’ve already been told about them. 

14 minutes ago, NextG said:

So? What does that have to do with anything?

Not even comparable to what he is currently looking at:

https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10412&idPhone2=11924

It’s just poorly specced at the very least and who knows if you’ll ever be able to Cfind a replacement battery. Stop posting that nonsense everywhere. You’ve already been told about them. 

what was the one you mentioned before around that money and the specs were better ?

18 hours ago, transam said:

Second-hand iPhone 6s Plus 64gb, about 3000bht, just check it works as it should....:stoner:

IMO second-hand phones are like second-hand electric cars. No-one knows how many charging cycles the battery has left.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, connda said:

The Xiaomi Redmi Note series are definitely inexpensive.  The Samsung A42 is a much more powerful phone. It also has a pretty rocking camera.  That's a plus for me.  With a price difference with the cheapest Samsung A42 at 6300 THB, I can pay less than $60 to $100 to buy a phone with better reviews and options.  My budget is around 10K THB or less.
With that said, the Xiaomi Redmi is a really popular phone on Lazada.  At least one site was sold out. 

Xiaomi Redmi, I used them since 2016 various models. Buy from the Xiaomi flagship store on Lazada, but recently their stock is rather depleted.

Avoid Apple junk, you can't install any proper ad blocker or script blocker there. Ublock origin doesn't work there, and many plugins for Chrome and Firefox don't work.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Xiaomi Redmi, I used them since 2016 various models. Buy from the Xiaomi flagship store on Lazada, but recently their stock is rather depleted.

Avoid Apple junk, you can't install any proper ad blocker or script blocker there. Ublock origin doesn't work there, and many plugins for Chrome and Firefox don't work.

Nonsense post. You can use the Brave Browser on iPhone if your capability is impaired. 

2 hours ago, thaitom said:

screen shot please of your phone with 16.4.1           you just got a security update.

Please pay attention, I quoted, I just got a 15.7.5 update from Apple for my 6s Plus 64mb..........Gawd..........:ermm:

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO second-hand phones are like second-hand electric cars. No-one knows how many charging cycles the battery has left.

My iPhone 6s Plus states in the battery health check, 100%...????

As for cycles, who knows.......????

The thing is, this phone does everything I want it too, and can be replaced with similar for peanuts..

5 hours ago, ignis said:

I got an Vivo unlocked for 2,600 bt from Big C ...... had it almost 4 years, and no issues does everything I need a phone for.....  

I bought an Apple SE (second hand) a couple of years back on Lazada (or EBay??) and it's going fine, not that I use it for anything else other than phone calls and messages, although I have used the camera on a couple of occasions.

My computer handles all of my emails and other stuff, and because I get quite a few emails, I don't want them following me around on an iPhone or similar. So this Apple SE is fine and should it decide to pack up then I will go back to my old Nokia 3710 flip phone, which I think is absolutely gorgeous. Sorted.

21 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

There's normally a reasonable Samsung phone in ?Big C for around 5k Baht.

The biggest problem with Big C vendors is when I see a phone for 5K it is not an unlocked phone.  But I do like (like today) just for price comparison. 
I'm researching Samsung A Series phones right now. 

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you get the Redmi Note S or Pro model the camera will be better. My Redmi Note 9 camera is easy good enough for me and better than my previous Samsung which was disappointing, i get a feeling Samsung quality is going down

Good to know.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Google Lens can help with translation if you get stuck. I'd be lost here without it.

Edit: if you're using an Android phone to browse the Lazada app.

I'll have to look into that.  Google translate has a camera translation feature that is so-so.
I typically use a pretty good text scraper program for Android that I bought for peanuts. I use that and then feed the results back into a translation program.  But I will check that out.  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, connda said:

The biggest problem with Big C vendors is when I see a phone for 5K it is not an unlocked phone.  But I do like (like today) just for price comparison. 
I'm researching Samsung A Series phones right now. 

My Big C incorporates shops for the ISP/Mobile 'phone networks and also many independent stalls. There is also a guy who appears to do repairs (only). Very few customers around whenever we go. I guess you would have to decide exactly which model you want beforehand, then go to each and be prepared to haggle.

10 hours ago, sometime said:

Interesting read 10 reasons why Huawei and Oppo may have 'bad news' for Google

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/slideshows/10-reasons-why-these-huawei-and-oppo-partnerships-may-be-bad-news-for-google-and-more/photolist/72946831.cms

I am off today to try & buy the Samsung AO4S

Oppo's downside it that it's a ***** to root as its got proprietary ColorOS over an Android base.
Huawei is running in parallel with Google as Google has made its products Huawei unfriendly - so it doesn't offer some of the applications that I run on Android.

But with over half the world's population in Eurasia and the Global South gravitating toward Chinese commerce?  That part of society may just ditch Google and Android all together and the application selection may be just fine if not better suited for developing and third-world countries.

In the meanwhile, I don't want to run into the problem I currently have with an Oppo A37f model.  I haven't found a way to root it in order to upgrade to a version that will support a number of application that I currently can't run.