Suggestions for a "Cheap Charlie" Smart Phone

connda

9 hours ago, Menken said:

OP why didn't you simply list the price range you need to purchase a phone at?

I'm recommending the OnePlus Nord 3. Possibly a TCL phone I've been reading some reasonable reviews for them at the bottom end.

Personally, I've never paid more than about $300 US for a phone and usually I try to keep it under 10, 000b

Don't buy online unless it's from the official store. Even if it's from the official store run a video as you open the box so you can validate any scam that potentially is inside. be certain to check for purposeful spelling errors as well.

You want a Samsung not a Samsong ????????scam

I did later on in the thread, i.e., "less than ฿10,000 THB. 
Fyi - I'm slightly dyslectic and have had problems proofing my own writing for most of my adult life.  I can not proof my own writing.  I miss obvious grammar and spelling errors.
Mai bpen rai.  <shrug> Thanks for the recommendation and you are correct.  I'm leery of buying online but I do just online results as comparison points.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO second-hand phones are like second-hand electric cars. No-one knows how many charging cycles the battery has left.

Excellent point.  Like any car.  I made an exception for my first car in Thailand.  I bought it from a mechanic who had an identical Toyota.  He did all the work on my car.  You can't do that in the West like in the US.  When I left in 2007 the cost of labor was around $125/hr.  I can only imagine what vehicle service rates would cost now.  My mechanic was charging me about ฿250/hr.  Dirt cheap which is why you can afford to go second-hand here with regular cars with you've got a good mechanic.  I used the car for driving around locally in Chiang Mai and Lamphun.  Never took it much further than 100km for the mechanic for all the obvious reasons.
Now electric cars? (or computers or phones or TVs)  Not good items for second-hand imho. But you may get away with it for the same reason - there are independent repair shops that can keep the systems running for cheap.  Anyway - I digress.

8 hours ago, gearbox said:

Xiaomi Redmi, I used them since 2016 various models. Buy from the Xiaomi flagship store on Lazada, but recently their stock is rather depleted.

Avoid Apple junk, you can't install any proper ad blocker or script blocker there. Ublock origin doesn't work there, and many plugins for Chrome and Firefox don't work.

Like I noted before, they are definitely popular phones as they tend to be "out of stock." 
Obviously a lot of people like them here in Thailand.  I'm assuming it has good quality and a price point that most working Thais can afford. 

14 minutes ago, connda said:

I did later on in the thread, i.e., "less than ฿10,000 THB. 
Fyi - I'm slightly dyslectic and have had problems proofing my own writing for most of my adult life.  I can not proof my own writing.  I miss obvious grammar and spelling errors.
Mai bpen rai.  <shrug> Thanks for the recommendation and you are correct.  I'm leery of buying online but I do just online results as comparison points.

You can check GSMArena for specs but I'd still recommend the phones that I listed prior.

Can't help you with the dyslexia but load Nova launcher and you can do all sorts of tricks to increase the size of the type / font, enlarge icons, etc

Edited by Menken
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Menken said:

You can check GSMArena for specs but I'd still recommend the phones that I listed prior.

Can't help you with the dyslexia but load Nova launcher and you can do all sorts of tricks to increase the size of the type / font, enlarge icons, etc

I'll check it out.  Thanks!

23 hours ago, connda said:

I'll have to look into that.  Google translate has a camera translation feature that is so-so.
I typically use a pretty good text scraper program for Android that I bought for peanuts. I use that and then feed the results back into a translation program.  But I will check that out.  :thumbsup:

Translate uses part of the Lens however the Lens app itself has additional functionality.

Eg. You can take a screenshot of say a product description on Lazada, open Lens and then select the image and translate it and/or copy text. 

Your can also use the Search function I think it is to do a 'live' translation of text. That was well handy when I was taken to a Taiwanese restaurant in Sri Racha that only had Thai/Chinese menus. 

Translations aren't perfect but I get by with them as Lens is the only option I've stumbled across so far.

• Like 1

Finally settled on a Samsung Galaxy A34 5G.  I got a family discount as my son works in the electronics business.  Normally around ฿11,999 and I picked it up for ฿8300 and change.
I kept pushing my son for the A23 and he kept pushing back in Thai.  "No you don't want that one, you want this one!"  I'm a little dense until I got the price comparison.  Then I was like - "Yeah, I'm sending money to you, like now." 

Good phone at a Cheap Charlie price.  I got lucky. That doesn't happen all the time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:21 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Mobile phones threads are, like driving threads and several other topics, places where everyone is always right! However..., I have a Realme C3, had it for two years now, cheap as chips to buy, runs Android 10...

Me too.  I just replaced the battery in mine 5000mah for 213 baht (from Shopee).  Working fine now.  I also bought a new robot case and 9D glass screen saver for 85 baht (for both) including delivery (again from Shopee).  And yes runs Android 10.

The C3 is now an old model but you should try the Realme C30s for 2980 baht.  It runs Android 12 and has 6.5 screen, Ram2+32, SD slot expandable up to 1TB, dual sim and 5000mah battery:

https://shopee.co.th/ใหม่!-Realme-C30S-(RAM2-32)-หน้าจอ-6.5-แบต-5000mAh-เครื่องประกันศูนย์-1-ปี-i.51883840.23305320438?sp_atk=2b055131-6983-4123-bd1e-817ea4d3f7e2&xptdk=2b055131-6983-4123-bd1e-817ea4d3f7e2

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, amelia kate said:
  1. Google Pixel 4a: Google's Pixel 4a offers a great camera, clean Android experience, and regular software updates. It strikes a good balance between price and performance.

2. Samsung Galaxy A series: Samsung's Galaxy A series, such as the Galaxy A52 or A32, provides a variety of options with decent displays, cameras, and performance at affordable prices.

3. OnePlus Nord N200: OnePlus is known for its premium phones, but they also have budget-friendly options. The Nord N200 offers a clean interface and decent specs for its price.

4. Motorola Moto G Power (2021): Motorola's Moto G series is well-regarded for offering good value for money. The Moto G Power, in particular, is known for its long-lasting battery life.

5. Xiaomi Poco X3: Xiaomi's Poco brand offers excellent value for money. The Poco X3, for example, comes with a high-refresh-rate display, capable camera, and strong performance.

6. Realme C series: Realme's budget-friendly C series phones, like the Realme C25, often provide good features and battery life at an affordable price point.

7. Nokia 5.4: Nokia phones are known for their durability and clean Android experience. The Nokia 5.4 is a budget-friendly option with decent performance.

8. Asus ZenFone series: Asus offers budget-friendly smartphones under its ZenFone series, such as the ZenFone 7. These phones typically provide good value for the price.

When looking for a budget smartphone, consider your specific needs and priorities. Look at factors like camera quality, battery life, software updates, and any unique features that matter to you. Additionally, be open to considering slightly older models, as they can often offer better value for the price. Don't forget to read reviews and compare prices to find the best deal for your budget.

Have you checked these are available in Thailand?