Thai Private Sector Upbeat on China-Laos Railway Service

snoop1130

d794f1cad94b03b139ea58e98b6dc45d_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The recent launching of cross-border passenger services on the China-Laos Railway on the occasion of the most important festival for Thailand and Laos has boosted the local tourism scene as it recovers from the pandemic.

Thailand’s northeast province of Nong Khai celebrated the Songkran festival with neighboring Laos across the Mekong River since cross-border passenger services of the China-Laos Railway began on Thursday (13 Apr).

Jiranun Sakultangphaisal, an advisor to the tourism association of Nong Khai, said many tourists would stay overnight in the Thai northeast province before traveling to the Laotian capital of Vientiane - some 20 km away.

Monnipa Kovitsirikul, Chairperson of the Chamber of Commerce for Nong Khai, said she hoped that Chinese tourists who arrive in Laos would travel further to tour Nong Khai and Thailand’s wider northeast region.

Monnipa said many business sectors in Nong Khai have benefited from the operation of the China-Laos Railway, which has increased employment and brought new opportunities for the local business community. She has also seen new investment from within Thailand into Nong Khai and stepped up efforts by the Thai government to upgrade local infrastructure.

The China-Laos Railway has also provided a major transport route for Thailand to access the vast Chinese market. In the past, the transport of goods between China, Laos and Thailand had to take longer due to poor road conditions. The China-Laos Railway has cut travel time down to around 10 hours, facilitating the transport of the goods such as fruits which require speedy delivery.

For Jiranun, the tourism association advisor, the China-Laos Railway is also a road of friendship that links Thailand, China and Laos even closer by increasing connectivity and people-to-people exchanges. She said more exchanges would facilitate greater understanding, which would in turn facilitate increased cooperation.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230417113907769

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

36 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

High speed rail service in China with a vastly much larger ridership has generally failed financially. But Thailand will be different - how?

I caught some TV program recently on Chinese high speed trains and their network.....it was produced by China so maybe to be taken with a pinch of salt...nevertheless I was very impressed by what I saw and it made me think my country (the UK), is still in the stone age, relating to rail transport.

• Like 1

It will be many years before a High Speed Standard gauge line links Vientiane with Nong Khai and eventually Korat where the new High Speed Standard gauge line currently under construction from Bangkok will temporarily terminate.  

On 4/18/2023 at 12:10 AM, jacko45k said:

I caught some TV program recently on Chinese high speed trains and their network.....it was produced by China so maybe to be taken with a pinch of salt...nevertheless I was very impressed by what I saw and it made me think my country (the UK), is still in the stone age, relating to rail transport.

The UK has recently been returned to the Stone Age in most respects!

One of my favorite areas I must say. I just spent 6 months mostly in Laos. Some of the worst roads in the world IMHO. I drove to the Vietnam border and all around the area. I love it, reminds me of Thailand many years ago. Since the rail system is operational I have never seen so many Chinese knock off of US brands(clothes). It is quite amazing to see in the malls in Laos. You want to see unrestricted Chinese brand theft head to Laos and check it out. It is unreal.

The locals are complaining that the rail system has bankrupted the government. I don't get into politics but the locals were telling me Laos has let the Chinese bankrupt their country. The Maintenance of roads and such has basically stopped. All money is going to repay China.

Edited by Gknrd

1 hour ago, Gknrd said:

One of my favorite areas I must say. I just spent 6 months mostly in Laos. Some of the worst roads in the world IMHO. I drove to the Vietnam border and all around the area. I love it, reminds me of Thailand many years ago. Since the rail system is operational I have never seen so many Chinese knock off of US brands(clothes). It is quite amazing to see in the malls in Laos. You want to see unrestricted Chinese brand theft head to Laos and check it out. It is unreal.

The locals are complaining that the rail system has bankrupted the government. I don't get into politics but the locals were telling me Laos has let the Chinese bankrupt their country. The Maintenance of roads and such has basically stopped. All money is going to repay China.

This is coming to the rest of SEA, Africa, Latin America who have freed themselves from the tyranny of the West and made themselves slaves of China.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rabang said:

This is coming to the rest of SEA, Africa, Latin America who have freed themselves from the tyranny of the West and made themselves slaves of China.

Maybe, I saw LA was letting the CCP in. I ask a few in SA about China and they don't like the idea?  SA and LA are super macho countries. Interesting to see how that goes.  I live on and off in that part of the world.  These folks are armed and dangerous. 

Edited by Gknrd

19 minutes ago, rabang said:

Perhaps a kinder and gentler colonial master?

One that doesn't require the use of military and associated at every turn.

????

Edited by zzaa09

5 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Perhaps a kinder and gentler colonial master?

One that doesn't require the use of military and associated at every turn.

????

China is trying to match the American military power. Do you think they will just sit idle?

Edited by rabang