Climate-sceptic accounts surge after Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover

onthedarkside

On 4/18/2023 at 7:08 AM, BritManToo said:

The UN want to control what we say and what we think.

If I want to believe something that's not true, what right does anyone have to stop me.

The biggest misinformation on the planet would be religion, and people are prepared to kill and die over that, shouldn't they try to stop religion first?

If I want to claim climate change isn't real, the earth is flat, the USA never landed on the moon ....... what harm does it do anyone. It's not as if my opinion affects anyone in any way positive or negative.

none of your examples would hasten a decline or mass extinction tho. a better analogy is claiming smoke from the fires doesn't adversely affect health or nature, when the experts agree that it does. ignoring it and continuing to set fires has consequences, whereas disagreeing with the moon landing is just fun to pass the time of day...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Woke is a joke as CNN is a joke as D Lemmon is a joke!!! Thanks for the laugh.

Whats woke got to do with it?

Twitter faces a whopping fine in Germany which is more than its net worth

As per a report by Techcrunch, more than 600 cases regarding hate speech on Twitter are pending before German courts. Adding fuel to the fire, earlier this week, Germany had announced an investigation into  "suspected systemic failures under the country’s hate speech takedowns law". As per Techcrunch, the law, known colloquially as NetzDG, allows for fines of up to 50 million euros per case.

Last year, The New York Times had reported major increases in hate speech since Musk took Twitter October-end and fired staff in Germany and axed the content-moderation team in the US.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/technology/twitter-faces-a-whopping-fine-in-germany-which-is-more-than-its-net-worth-16366461.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokHank said:

The interviewer was clearly under prepared. 

The existence of speech on Twitter is not disputed  even if an interviewer failed to prepare examples before bringing the subject up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65246394

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

I think you habitually missed the Latin class.

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Spelling police everyone!! Run for the hills!

LOL... having had no chance to study Latin, I completely missed the spelling error.   I was too focused on the incorrect understanding of the phrase.

5 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Ironically, it is precisely younger people who are going to suffer from the stupidity of giving up the use of relatively cheap, readily available fossil fuels - for allegedly protecting the planet from man-made warming. The planet MIGHT be a little cleaner and cooler for these proposed changes (although I doubt that - because it's just replacing one kind of environmental degradation with another). But economically, the world is going to be a WHOLE lot worse off, especially the poor, when energy becomes unavailable at a reasonable cost.

So I would suggest that your motives are other than benevolent. This whole global warming scam is about controlling people, as well as making a lot of money for a few people - just like the whole COVID scam.

THIS is the point a lot of climate cultists miss.  The abundant supply of cheap energy is what drives economic prosperity.  It also drove women's liberation and will drive democracy in the future.  The green people are trying to lock the door to prosperity on struggling and poor countries. "We got ours, the heck with you".  

When climate alarmists start acting like they really believe the earth is dying and the oceans are rising, I will begin to take heed.  Waiting for Barack Obama to sell his Cape Cod mansion....

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

none of your examples would hasten a decline or mass extinction tho. a better analogy is claiming smoke from the fires doesn't adversely affect health or nature, when the experts agree that it does. ignoring it and continuing to set fires has consequences, whereas disagreeing with the moon landing is just fun to pass the time of day...

Any yet, I generate 80% of my household energy, and you do nothing. 

55 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

THIS is the point a lot of climate cultists miss.  The abundant supply of cheap energy is what drives economic prosperity.  It also drove women's liberation and will drive democracy in the future.  The green people are trying to lock the door to prosperity on struggling and poor countries. "We got ours, the heck with you".  

When climate alarmists start acting like they really believe the earth is dying and the oceans are rising, I will begin to take heed.  Waiting for Barack Obama to sell his Cape Cod mansion....

Yet, oceans are rising, It's a reality.

It's not a question of debate between climate cultist and others. Oceans are rising and scientific studies predict it will rise more. There is a large variation in the outcome between the different studies, but the trend is clear.

As to the example of Barack Obama's mansion, as usual, it is fake news. It seats well above sea level. But why let facts get in the way of a good climate denier story! ????

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Really?

image.png.88f6f3fcbf1d806c60e6992507e278df.png

I guess you have a point. Winds and sunlight aren't cheap. They're free. But not abundant? really?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, candide said:

Yet, oceans are rising, It's a reality.

It's not a question of debate between climate cultist and others. Oceans are rising and scientific studies predict it will rise more. There is a large variation in the outcome between the different studies, but the trend is clear.

Again, so what? Ocean levels have always been on the move. That's why there's such a science as sequence stratigraphy. Sea levels up and down.

Temperatures up and down too. Mankind or no mankind.

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 3:53 PM, Menken said:

No!

I just want all sides to be able to state their perceptions of an issue.

Are you smart enough to taking information and process it yourself? If so, why can't you trust others to be able to do the same for themselves? How is it that I've made it through scores of years and it is only now when I perhaps the most wise that I am also the most questioned... Usually by ill-educated and far younger people that I have absolutely nothing in common with.

2+2=4 after that all else follows

I think it's obvious why it's not enough to produce only one's conclusions. Facts and reasoning are essential. You haven' shared either.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Again, so what? Ocean levels have always been on the move. That's why there's such a science as sequence stratigraphy. Sea levels up and down.

There are consequences.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:44 PM, Menken said:

There is no solid, inconclusive and in controvertible evidence that global warming is a man-made created trend.

You seem quite convinced in your opinion.  For me to arrive at that level of conviction I would need to have a thorough understanding of the theory that I disagree with.

So, you should be able to explain your understanding of the claimed chemical/physics characteristics of CO₂ that make it a greenhouse gas.

Please have at it.  Show us you actually understand some of the theories that you denounce.

I'll start you off with a huge tip.  It has nothing to do with chemical reactions.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Women’s liberation was driven by left wing and liberal activism in opposition to entrenched rightwing conservatism.

I suggest you look up the part played by these left wing liberals and you might want to have a look at the part played by that gas guzzling monstrosity ‘the bicycle’.

14 hours ago, JackGats said:

So what? Climate sceptic voices are a drop in the ocean compared to mainstream climate hysteria. Many peddle bad science of course, but so does much of established climate "science" and journalism. Every time someone I talk to gets on my nerves with their climate change lamentations, I ask them for how long they've been driving an electric car and which brand they recommend I buy. They go silent on this because they're only interested in lamenting and parroting, not in putting their money where their mouth is.

Every time someone denied there's a problem I find they mostly tend to vote right wing and think that individual action is what it takes to affect climate change. It gets on my nerves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

It's in the case of temperatures it's all about rising rate of change. What is so hard to understand about that?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

You seem quite convinced in your opinion.  For me to arrive at that level of conviction I would need to have a thorough understanding of the theory that I disagree with.

So, you should be able to explain your understanding of the claimed chemical/physics characteristics of CO₂ that make it a greenhouse gas.

Please have at it.  Show us you actually understand some of the theories that you denounce.

I'll start you off with a huge tip.  It has nothing to do with chemical reactions.

I'll give him another tip. The science behind this comes from the 19th century before global warming was even suspected. So no political agenda.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy, or the grey aliens, or the twelve-foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control, the truth is far more frightening; no-one is in control, the world is rudderless.”

Very clever how he put the real controllers of the world first, then listed two absolutely ridiculous ones after that - to imply that all three are equally silly conspiracy theories.

• Haha 2

On 4/18/2023 at 11:12 PM, Cory1848 said:

Well, I’m glad that you consider yourself wise after “scores of years” (so you’re at least sixty? I’m sixty-five and likewise still feel confidence in my ability to sort through and synthesize information). But I would hesitate to be too critical of “far younger people,” whose intelligence and ability to process information is often discounted by their seniors who disagree with them.

I’m sure you’re quite right in your statement that you have nothing in common with these younger people. But what you have *least* in common with them is this: in all likelihood you’ll be gone in twenty or thirty years (?? sorry if I’m misrepresenting your age), while they’ll still be around for decades longer, living on a planet whose environment is rapidly changing. They’re likely to see the worst of it; you won’t. So I would put far more value in what these younger people have to say about the matter, because their perspective counts more than yours does.

Just some food for thought …

and do you think that those "younger people" actually know what to do to reverse the climate trend that is affordable, acceptable and effective?

Other than money making schemes for the already rich, I see nothing of much use. I gather that the CO2 already in the atmosphere will not be going anywhere soon, and at the rate of forest destruction is likely to be around even longer. Sooo, what is the plan to eliminate the CO2 already in the atmosphere, and is it even possible?

Would we not be better off using the money presently spent on junkets for the climate change mob to have holidays in 5 star resorts on practical schemes to stop the oceans being polluted beyond recovery, and build defenses against storms?