Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Estimated Contractor Costs to install Grid Tie Solar System

I've been following the Solar thread for quite a while, and am in awe of the skills of the TV Members who have installed their own systems.  Sadly, that's well beyond me so I'm looking for advice about:

1.  Whether a contractor will do the installation if I provide all the necessary hardware

2.  If yes, what are the likely installation costs to do so?

3.  Where am I likely to find such a contractor?  (I live in Rayong).

By way of background:

*  The actual, annual electricity consumption in our current (pun not intended...) beach bungalow is:  2021/2022 - 3,455 units;  2022/2023 - 3,162 units

*  We are presently having a house built on a (very) small orchard, and when the house is finished we are likely to spend 50% of the time at each location.  I estimate that the annual electricity consumption at each location will be:  Orchard:  2,275 units;  Bungalow: 1,725 units.

*   While the potential savings are not hugely significant, I like the thought of reducing electricity costs with a small GTi Solar system at both locations [2 panels at the bungalow and 3 panels at the orchard were estimated at reducing the annual costs by some 70% - assuming feed-back to the grid.

*  That aspiration was torpedoed by a local quote for 43,000 baht for the supply and installation of only the 2 panel system (ea 420W).  On top, the contractor advised A. Installation services only are NOT provided; B. Feed back to the grid is illegal and would not be available (don't know if the invertor has the ability to do so).  In any event, at that price solar simply does not make economical sense for us. 

Hope someone can offer a possible way forward

11 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

@dinga  Welcome to the Alternative/Renewable Energy Forum.

Approximately 3 years ago I was inspired by @Crossy original post “How about a solar carport on a budget”.

I appreciate that this post has expanded considerably since it was started ( now 23 pages), but I would suggest that you take the time to read through it as it will give you a wealth of information from various forum members who have ventured into solar, including myself.

In fact I've just noticed that on page 18 of @Crossy original post, you asked me a range of questions about my system, to which I subsequently responded.

FYI…. I only had a limited knowledge of electrical systems which was acquired when did my degree in control system technology, some 55 years previously.  That said, DIY was inbuilt into my DNA, so considering such a project at my age (then 73 YO) presented a wonderful challenge and great learning experience, especially during the pandemic lockdown.

Like you, our (my wife and I) electricity usage was relatively low, with an average usage of about 280 units/month over the preceding 2 years.

I decided that we would go for a simple grid tied system with the aim of reducing our monthly usage by 75%.  As a result, I opted for 4 x 415W half cut mono panels linked to a 2kW grid tied inverter.

The panels would be mounted onto our carport roof, which is South facing and angled at approximately 15o, which was almost ideal for our location (24 km West of BKK). 

20211003_102000.jpg.ab028738f0555ad7e9049fba86fca605.jpg

The inverter and breakers are mounted in the shade under the roof of the carport below the panels.

20210120_092045_iv.jpg.93f64f43c962fd07fcef92f5286ab385.jpg

The total cost of the hardware was 28,000 THB, give/take a few THB.  It was a DIY installation, with basic tools, so no additional labour costs, just my time and effort.

The system has now been running for 18 months and has saved us approximately 18,000 THB off our electric bills.  I estimate that ROI will be approximately 2.5 years based on the cost of the electricity (4.2 THB/unit) when the system was commissioned.  Not a bad investment when compared to the inept interest rates paid by banks these days.

The major drawback with our gid tied system is that when the sun is shining brightly, with no clouds and we are only using minimal appliances within the house, our old type of electric meter spins backwards at a 'fair rate of knots' because the solar system is then feeding surplus power back to the grid.

20211214_135100_iv.thumb.jpg.5ea2fc2152966f66efa5e83e649a8c7c.jpg

This is something that you don’t want your local PEA to see as it is in fact illegal.  If they (PEA) discover you are back feeding, at best they will fit a digital meter which wont spin backwards.  At worse they can demand that you remove/disconnect the solar system and/or pay a fine (10 x the estimated loss of revenue) and/or threaten to disconnect you from the grid.

Many of us the have a simple grid tied system, with an old type of meter which can merrily spin backwards, are all to aware of the need to 'not to export' on the day that the meter reader comes or to go into a negative meter reading situation, that is to say the current meter reading is less that the previous one, as that will ring alarm bells with the PEA.

In your current post you mentioned that a contractor indicated that feedback to the grid would not be available.  This is because the contractor is well aware that they may well become liable if the PEA discovered your system was back feeding into the grid.

For a solar system to be approved by the PEA to back feed, there is a complex set of rules/regulations which must be adhered to, coupled with a massive amount of paperwork, which increases the cost of an installation and ‘commission fees’ considerably.

Please don’t be put off.  If I can do a DIY set up at my age with limite electrical experience/knowledge, so can anyone else with a reasonable degree of applied common sense. 

Don't hesitate to ask questions, that's what the forum is for.

Good luck.

Red thanks for the detailed information. Not knowing much about solar and where to buy hardware to do DIY … I’d go with a set-up/size similar to yours… any suggestions? Have prices for hardware increased or about the same?

The current lecky bills is 25% more than the usual over last 2 years. 
Think it’s time to offset some with solor…

Thanks 

@ 007 RED, i appreciate you sharing all the useful information.

i hope it's alright to mention the following points: 
- the ROI will much longer if you do not feed (your excess from the solar) back to the grid.
- it will be difficult to financially justify a solar installation if your electric use is low, especially if you cannot do the installation by yourself and you won't feed back to the grid ... (like in my case, about 200 units per months ... but i still think about it ... :smile:).
- if you are not at home during the daytime and therefore your use of electricity primarily is overnight, you need to install ESS (energy storage system), which is expensiv.

Edited by motdaeng

6 hours ago, 007 RED said:

As at 12:00 Hrs today, my small scale system has produced 4,460kWh of power since it was first turned on 18 months ago.

Based upon the unit cost of electricity on the day the system was turned on (4.2 THB per unit), the system has saved us 18,730 THB on our electric bills.

As I've mentioned in my post above, the system cost 28,000 THB, so I estimate the ROI will be approximately 2.5 years.  That said, given the increase in the cost of electricity the ROI is likely to be nearer 2 years.

How many savings accounts/investments will pay you 18,730 THB interest on 28,000 THB, in 18 months?

Very impressive.

Pink

• Like 2