Thailand Drivers Licence for Australian with current licence from that country?

An Australian travel advice site says that I, being here on a non-immigrant O visa, and possessing a current driving licence from my country, may obtain a Thailand driving licence without requiring to sit your tests (perhaps some reciprocal arrangement between friendly countries? They quoted some authority/legislation dated 1979.

Does anyone have knowledge of this please!

In your situation you don't have to do an actual physical driving test, but you must do the normal tests (which would include colour test, brake reaction test, plus looking at a road safety video). This would take about 2 hours depending on how busy they are.

You would initially get a 2 year licence...cost 500 baht).

There are a few agents in Pattaya that will walk you through the process (not to costly) if thats what you prefer.

You are obviously not in Thailand yet, so look through the past threads on this subject of agents etc.

It's strait forward. As C/P said just use you currant licence to get a Thai one. So no test. You will have to make a booking at the Licencing place, get a Health check at local Doctors 100BHT. also a guarantee from the Immigration place to confirm your address 500bht. Turn up on your allotted time with passport and your OZ licence at L/Office and do a couple of easy tests. Break, colour, some thing to do with peripheral vision all very simple. Tip just get to the back of the line and see what the Thais do. Cost for a licence is just over 500bht for car 250bht for M/C. N/B cost as of a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

I did mine as a retiree - a two year duration license being my first Thai license (a few years back now for the 2 year one, so my experience may not apply) at Phuket Town MOT. I can't speak for other MOT jurisdictions and their requirements and processes.

I don't know if me having 4.5 decades of a clean Aussie license with multiple types of licenses e.g motocy, heavy articulated vehicle, and car type had any impact on the ease of the process but it was super easy.

(A staff member told me) countries like Oz are seen as producing well skilled and competent drivers and therefore have an easier time in getting Thai licenses than some nations that are viewed as having far lesser competent drivers.

No video or paper tests for me, brake reflex test, and eye test as I wear multifocal glasses, that was all. All done in less than an hour.

Usual umpteen copies of paperwork needed (local MOT office will tell you exactly what you need and give you a few forms to fill and return with the copies of this and that needed).

I went very early in the morning (as others had advised I do), arriving at about 7:30 for both my 2 and then renewal for a 5 year license and both times I was about the 3rd person to grab my customer number and processed likity-split.

..also, there is no reciprocal arrangement with Thailand. So, do not let your Australian licence lapse. Your new Thai licence cannot be converted into an Australian licence, but you can drive with your Thai licence there temporarily. 

5 hours ago, rwill said:

You will not have to do a driving or written exam.  You will have to do some vision/reflex tests and may have to watch a video.

There is a way of doing the Video online. Some offices require you do it that way as they have stopped you doing at the L/Office. It takes 1 hour and you have to answer questions at odd times It's an A/B/C thing. That's to make sure you looked at it. Can be done on your phone. Just one small problem the first part is in Thai with subtitles so you will require a large phone. Better if you do it on a comp: as it's easier. Tip it's quick so you might have to freeze it. Once you finish they will give you a pass mark (Don't panic everyone passes) that you should take a snap of you then show that at the L/office. 

Apostle41 here. Thanks for your positive information. I am here in Chai Nat Province and went there with my Thai wife. Not able to speak the language my wife spoke for me. I've bought an international one but only showed their card, forgetting there is a booklet too. A big problem emerged over my Ozzie one. Because over the years I've had many classes such as being able to drive trucks & buses, the top of my card says Heavy Vehicle drivers licence. The lady said, as I'd only applied for car and motorcycle,  your licence doesnt mention it covers a car, just says HR R at the bottom, obviously they hadnt dealt with a farang for this before - this is what I'm assuming. So it didn't happen. I emailed home and they gave me confirmation my licence does cover a car. Because of this they wanted me to stop driving? Without the language it's hard to negotiate!