Singapore to execute man over 1kg of cannabis in first capital punishment of 2023

webfact

6 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

People are not perfect, they make mistakes like this guy did. When I was traveling overland many years ago people told me to watch out for people putting drugs in your bag as Iran has the death sentence for drugs, even in very small amounts. I am not a drug user but unknowingly drugs can be planted in your travel bags one day and what would you say than?

Are you claiming he made a "mistake" by carrying 1 kg of weed? LOL.

A mistake would be putting a dope ciggy in a pocket and forgetting about it.

I never allowed anyone near an unlocked case of mine before I flew for that exact reason and never carried anything for anyone without checking it first.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrfill said:

And yet, according to the linked article he was not convicted of possession or dealing but 'abetting by engaging in a conspiracy to traffic' because an old, supposedly lost, phone had the number of convicted dealers on it.
It does seem pretty flimsy evidence to kill someone for.

You are correct plus according to the article he didn't have access to a lawyer?

Seems very strange, unless something is missing?

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And Singapore is considered a 'civilised' country? ????

If civilized country is defined as law and order, safe, low crime rate especially gun incidents, multi racial harmony and organized; then Singapore is indeed a civilized country. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If civilized country is defined as law and order, safe, low crime rate especially gun incidents, multi racial harmony and organized; then Singapore is indeed a civilized country. 

Using the death penalty precludes the definition of being civilised.  In my opinion. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Using the death penalty precludes the definition of being civilised.  In my opinion. 

and the opinion of others differs. IMO a civilised country helps it's citizens stay safe by removing criminals from society as long as possible. I have no problem with permanently.

I live in a country regarded as civilised, which has a huge problem with criminals and is doing sod all to deal with them. I know which I prefer.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and the opinion of others differs. IMO a civilised country helps it's citizens stay safe by removing criminals from society as long as possible. I have no problem with permanently.

I live in a country regarded as civilised, which has a huge problem with criminals and is doing sod all to deal with them. I know which I prefer.

Indeed.  There are not many more controversial topics than capital punishment, other than maybe abortion and trans-rights! 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:17 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Thailand is enjoying the benefits of cannabis tourism, I guess Singapore doesn’t want to cash in on the travel that creates.

You actually believe that someone would buy a very expensive air ticket - simply to be able to smoke weed in Thailand?  Somehow I doubt that - weed is illegal in most countries but its also freely available in many.  Even in countries where it is illegal, most either turn a blind eye or the punishment is very minor. Singapore being one exception..........jeez!!!

It may be the law of the land but laws should be proportionate to the potential for harm - death for a kilo of weed is totally ridiculous. Its time that countries started refusing to do business with others that have such draconian laws - that would bring them to their senses.

I believe that a country should have the right to view drugs as serious but a death sentence is well over the top - especially in a country where alcohol is legal.  Its a proven fact that alcohol is far more injurious to health than canabis - particularly if its ingested rather than smoked.

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

It may be the law of the land but laws should be proportionate to the potential for harm - death for a kilo of weed is totally ridiculous. Its time that countries started refusing to do business with others that have such draconian laws - that would bring them to their senses.

I believe that a country should have the right to view drugs as serious but a death sentence is well over the top - especially in a country where alcohol is legal.  Its a proven fact that alcohol is far more injurious to health than canabis - particularly if its ingested rather than smoked.

yes, but that is the law in Singapore. And yes I think it is excessive like posters say on here "if you in Rome do like the Romens do".