ATM Card Expiry What Happens if you don't Renew it?

I have a Kasikorn account with an ATM Debit card. It is going to expire soon. Due to the amount of fraud and scams going on in just about every country on earth I am thinking of letting my card go, in other words not renewing it.

So currently I get charged 300 baht a year for this card plus 20 baht per Month. My question is, if I let it lapse and not renew it will they still charge me the 300 baht a year? Do I need to see them or just let it lapse?

I don't really need the ATM card as I have a Bangkok Bank account as well and I can use that ATM card. Plus I do everything else via internet banking. So will they still charge me?

You won't be charged and can only withdraw online or in branch with passbook. I never renewed my Kbank card on the account with the 800k used for visa extension. No charges for new card. No monthly fees. No chance of ATM or Debit Card fraud.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bmanly said:

This is why I want to let it go. About 10 years ago I had 2 fraudulent charges against my card. I picked it up early enough and got most of it refunded but I don't want to risk it anymore. 

Ten years ago, I think things have moved on a bit since then, I have a 6 number PIN now, for instance...????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They won't charge it if the card is expired, also cancel the 20 baht a month via the branch, usually it's for SMS notifications. I cancelled my card on the Kasikorn app, maybe you can do with Bangkok Bank also

Yes I think I'll get rid of that 20 baht a Month SMS notification as well. 

10 minutes ago, transam said:

That would be foolish, it is the only way you will know 'instantly' something is going in or out of your account, a lifesaver........????

My Thai sim is not active when I am in Australia Months on end but I check my account on the app at least once a week, but your point is noted.

2 minutes ago, bmanly said:

My Thai sim is not active when I am in Australia Months on end but I check my account on the app at least once a week, but your point is noted.

I said, "instantly", you could act instantly................????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bmanly said:

Due to the amount of fraud and scams going on in just about every country on earth I am thinking of letting my card go, in other words not renewing it.

Using the KBank App, simply set the daily amount limit of the account to zero. This will block all and every attempt by any means to deduct money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

You won't be charged and can only withdraw online or in branch with passbook. I never renewed my Kbank card on the account with the 800k used for visa extension. No charges for new card. No monthly fees. No chance of ATM or Debit Card fraud.

You can also use the phone app to withdraw from an ATM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kidneyw said:

I am sure you would need to tell them you do not want to continue using it, otherwise they will automatically deduct the 300 baht annual fee.

Wrong info..  Once it lapses, you will not be charged, unless you actually go to a branch and physically request a new card. Basically no valid card, no charges.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I have a Kasikorn account with a card that expired in 2020.  I have not been charged for a card since then.  This is of course no guarantee that you would receive the same treatment.

Same here. I get money from the ATM using the phone app.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Same here. I get money from the ATM using the phone app.

Yep, I rarely use cash or atm card anymore.  I use a phone app for all transactions, just about everyone has a QR code or their bank details to pay them.  The only place I still use cash is the gas station.

13 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Wrong info..  Once it lapses, you will not be charged, unless you actually go to a branch and physically request a new card. Basically no valid card, no charges.

When your annual fee is due, and you try to use your card at an ATM it will prompt you to pay it before you proceed with your transaction

1 minute ago, thaitom said:

When your annual fee is due, and you try to use your card at an ATM it will prompt you to pay it before you proceed with your transaction

Oh, sorry, you were talking about the card itself expiring.

I recently cancelled my Kasikorn ATM card, and I did it through the app. This even gave me a partial refund for the yearly fee (as I had prepaid for the next 10 months).

Some posters claim that an expired card does not incur a charge, I don’t know about Kasikorn, but I’ve had expired cards with Krungthai, and for these, I still had to pay an annual fee for ATM services, so I would definitely recommend that OP cancel their card (via the app).

And as others mention, you can do cashless withdrawals at any Kasikorn ATM (via the app), this even saves you the fee, when you withdraw in another province than where you opened your account.

Furthermore, in the app, you can create a virtual debit card, should you need a card to pay for something online (Grab, flight, hotel, etc.), although these days, many online purchases can also be done via PromptPay / QR code.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, transam said:

Go to the bank, tell them to cut the card in half, you don't need one.

They will update their system, easy.................????

And ask them to provide a form etter confirming the card has been cancelled.

Friend did this, initially the service desk girl said 'cannot give you such letter'. friend called the call center and they told the branch lady how to generate the letter.

After all done the local branch manager intervened and asked friend to apologize to his staff member for making her lose face. Friend refused.

Within 24 hrs changed his bank to Krung Thai, nowadays a very switched on bank, very customer focused. 

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And ask them to provide a form etter confirming the card has been cancelled.

Friend did this, initially the service desk girl said 'cannot give you such letter'. friend called the call center and they told the branch lady how to generate the letter.

After all done the local branch manager intervened and asked friend to apologize to his staff member for making her lose face. Friend refused.

Within 24 hrs changed his bank to Krung Thai, nowadays a very switched on bank, very customer focused. 

So is my BKK Bank, never a problem they could not fix, must be my smile.....????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bmanly said:

So currently I get charged 300 baht a year for this card

Not your bank, but my debit cards 'yellow bank' and BKB is only every 5 years Jeez I won't be using Kasikorn, and i was just thinking of re-opening an account there.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Not your bank, but my debit cards 'yellow bank' and BKB is only every 5 years Jeez I won't be using Kasikorn, and i was just thinking of re-opening an account there.

The 300 baht probably includes first year issue fee.

Though for your card, the cheapest card I see for Krungsri is ~127 baht/year (380 baht every 3rd year) plus issue fee: https://www.krungsri.com/en/personal/card/krungsri-debit-card/all-atms

Personally though, I’ve switched to virtual cards, it’s cheaper, but also more convenient, as I don’t need to go to a branch, when they expire. Though I see Kasikorn will start to charge 150 baht/year after first year.

I do wonder if I can just cancel the card, and then create a new one, to get another year’s worth of free usage…