Daily Covid-19 cases in Bangkok spike

webfact

3 minutes ago, Jael said:

Here we go again (for those that know what I mean by that)

wondering if these people have any capability to doing own research shhhsh

Does that mean either of go out and do your own virus testing or not believing research already carried out by scientists in favour of conspiracy theory sites. It seems most of the posters in this thread don't do any research.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, hioctane said:

Is this still a thing? 6 months ago I stopped Covid testing for every sniffle or sore throat I got.

exactly, it's ridicilous that people are still even talking about it. it's hardly even spoken about in ther west buit its seems as if they want to keep up the fear high  here in Asia. Just look at the amount of mask wearing still in bangkok lol 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

7 million official COVID deaths since the start of the pandemic, and estimates the real figure is more in the 15-20 million range due to undercounting.

"never dangerous for the larger sum of people"???

Nope

4 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

they're nothing but severely brainwashed

1000+ people per week in Thailand are NOT being admitted to hospitals for COLDs... They're being admitted to hospitals for COVID.

COVID is not the same as colds or flus, as its health risks are considerably greater, even with the current Omicron strains -- even though some of the common surface symptoms are the same.

COVID Omicron variant infection deadlier than flu, studies suggest

"Two new studies suggest that COVID-19 Omicron variant infection is deadlier than influenza, with one finding that US veterans hospitalized with Omicron in fall and winter 2022-23 died at a 61% higher rate than hospitalized flu patients, and the other revealing that Israeli adults hospitalized with flu were 55% less likely to die within 30 days than those admitted for Omicron in the 2021-22 flu season."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-omicron-variant-infection-deadlier-flu-studies-suggest

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

The real question is how many people are getting really sick and ending up in hospital? If the numbers are small its not worth worrying about.

1,088 new hospitalizations per week from COVID right now for Thailand. In my book, that's not small.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

The real question is how many people are getting really sick and ending up in hospital? If the numbers are small its not worth worrying about.

Of course it's not worth worrying about. It's just unnecessary fear mongering. 
If people are really  that scared after having all of their jabs that they truly believed would prevent them getting sick, then they are more than welcome to go and lock themselves inddors & hide behind sofas if they wish to do so.
If i'm completely honest, i'd rather not be around such people anyway  lol :coffee1:

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

I caught Omicron coming back from Bangkok to Sydney then on to NZ but I think the Sydney- Chc leg. Was not as bad as I expected with my first case. Think Omicron not as bad as older variants. When In Bk most People except Western Farang were wearing masks

Which is really odd at this point in time by the way  Now I am in a country where almost nobody (except some elderly people) wears a mask, I can see people's face and expression! I urge Thais to stop hiding behind those stupid masks! 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Which is really odd at this point in time by the way  Now I am in a country where almost nobody (except some elderly people) wears a mask, I can see people's face and expression! I urge Thais to stop hiding behind those stupid masks! 

Masks help prevent you from catching COVID, and likewise help prevent you, if infected, from spreading it to others...

The better the mask, the better the protection. The more people who wear masks in a given area, the better protection.

It's only common sense in a time when Thailand is reporting more than 1000 new COVID hospitalizations in the past week.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

In their latest weekly report for all of Thailand, the Thai MoPH also advised that...

--they now have 73 of their newly hospitalized COVID patients with serious pneumonia, up from 30 the prior week.

--and they have 35 COVID patients newly hospitalized who have been intubated because they're otherwise unable to breathe, up from 19 the prior week.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid02n4KQFAALfVkxvJpokjVphQVdRGrgsUneJKLj7tyNRRMe3BydwTGQUuERWULQ4Qprl&id=100068069971811

Screenshot_4.jpg.78bcd57b3f50d4bef98101a7532e1f28.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

As has been reported many times in different places, Omicron may be a relatively mild illness for many who catch it, especially those of younger ages, but it also has the potential to be very serious and potentially fatal for those in older age groups and those with pre-existing health conditions.

And even in younger age people who appear to escape their COVID infections relatively unscathed, the virus infact also increased their potential risks of numerous other health problems in the wake of their COVID infection.

"New research finds that with each repeat COVID infection – even asymptomatic infection – your risk for complications increases. These include:

• stroke
  • heart attack
  • diabetes
  • digestive and kidney disorders
  • long-term cognitive impairment, including dementia

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-information/omicron-variant

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In their latest weekly report, the MoPH also advised that...

--they now have 73 of their newly hospitalized COVID patients with serious pneumonia, up from 30 the prior week.

--and they have 35 COVID patients newly hospitalized who have been intubated because they're otherwise unable to breathe, up from 19 the prior week.

I really don't know why we have to put up with the abject covid denialism which infests this board.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't account for the somewhat vague and confusing Thai news media reports earlier in this thread relating to COVID statistics for Bangkok...

But the Ministry of Public Health's COVID website / database does show weekly COVID hospitalization and death reports by province, including for Bangkok.

Though it is entirely in Thai language, but I believe it shows the following for Bangkok province for the past two weeks: Weekly COVID hospitalizations almost doubling from 220 to 418, And no new COVID deaths in Bangkok, with 50 total COVID deaths thus far this year.

April 9 - 15

Screenshot_6.jpg.fb3068e06a1d89257fe2e67e2d0f59ab.jpg

April 16 - 22

Screenshot_7.jpg.befe3ee2e506f267f382b956894f0818.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=province

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

it's hardly even spoken about in ther west

Really???  From the Washington Post earlier this month:

Covid is still a leading cause of death as the virus recedes

But many Americans dispute the data and the risks — much as they have throughout the pandemic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/04/16/covid-deaths-per-day/

Denialism is strong...

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Some of us want protect our own health, and the health of those around us.

Others, obviously, simply don't care -- for themselves or for others.

Well, no one is stopping you from hiding yourself  indoors and staying away from people who want to just get on with their lives are they

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Well, no one is stopping you from hiding yourself  indoors and staying away from people who want to just get on with their lives are they

I'd rather get on with my life at home or outdoors -- not from within a hospital ward with COVID.

So I follow sensible precautions, for myself, and for those around me.  There are no guarantees in this world, but you do the best that you can.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You should be:

"New research finds that with each repeat COVID infection – even asymptomatic infection – your risk for complications increases. These include:

• stroke
  • heart attack
  • diabetes
  • digestive and kidney disorders
  • long-term cognitive impairment, including dementia

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-information/omicron-variant

"New research finds...." wouldn't be a headline that would worry me. Too vague and sensational. Lo and behold, the link doesn't link to any 'new research'. 

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

One might equally ask: "I really don't know why we have to put up with the abject covid paranoia which infests this board".

Covid is clearly not going away, but neither are people dropping like flies in the streets. Personally, I think that wearing masks outside, in 40 degree heat, is the height of stupidity. But that's just me, and I am aware that some people will consider this to be both ill-informed and 'inconsiderate'. Not that I care.

Healthy caution is not paranoia. The covid hoax believers here believe anything done to mitigate the risk constitutes paranoia. It's called prudence and it's sensible. Y'all are under the thrall of a certain idiot ex president and disdain for book lernin'. It would be hilarious if people weren't dying as a direct result of the collective stupidity.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

"New research finds...." wouldn't be a headline that would worry me. Too vague and sensational. Lo and behold, the link doesn't link to any 'new research'. 

There's been plenty of medical research that bears out the increased post-COVID medical risks that UC Davis correctly summarized in their summary posted above.....

Just some of it includes:

Another post-COVID-19 risk: new-onset diabetes

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/another-post-covid-19-risk-new-onset-diabetes

COVID-19 survivors may be at higher risk of gastrointestinal disorders at 1 year

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-19-survivors-may-be-higher-risk-gastrointestinal-disorders-1-year

Brain changes: The lingering effects of COVID-19

In both young and old patients, the brain showed signs of long-term changes

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/968715

Just because you obviously haven't paid any attention to the research on post-COVID health impacts doesn't mean it's not out there....

• Thanks 1