Owner of mansion in Thailand angered at rumours it’s haunted

webfact

image.jpeg

by Samantha Rose

The owner of a grand, allegedly haunted mansion in northeast Thailand‘s Nakhon Phanom province came out to dispel rumours surrounding the house.

The dilapidated building, belonging to the descendants of local nobility, garnered attention after it was reported to be worth millions. The owner has confirmed that the house has never been haunted and has never served as a repository for human ashes. Plans for refurbishment remain uncertain, though a number of offers, including one of 10 million Baht, have been made for the property. The owner asserts that individuals spreading false information should offer an apology or face legal consequences.

Yesterday, local authorities in Nakhon Phanom provided an update on the case, stating that the large two-storey mansion, situated in Nakhon Phanom province, has gained attention due to ongoing rumours about its haunted status. The building’s owner, 64 year old Klin Melon Metula, a retired nurse, and her husband, 65 year old Chai Ratana Metula, a retired teacher, have expressed their dissatisfaction with the media’s portrayal of their property.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/north-east/fake-news-rumours-of-luxurious-abandoned-mansion-which-actually-belongs-to-a-prominent-family-someone-offered-10-million-but-didnt-sell

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Theres a house in my province with similar reputation. Its actually prime land but has an old house on it. Ages ago a village guy said he saw a ghost near a tree and someone was killed there blah blah. Probably too much grog. Now the owner cannot sell it for many years. I thought about buying it and knocking it down and building a new house but the wife would not let me...

21 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Some 'mansion'! And really old, too. Built 'more than 30 years ago'. What a dump.

image.thumb.jpeg.e8cb53a20bbd4a46ff026548511f07c4.jpeg

If that is the same home talked about in the article aren't those small jedi's used for keeping ashes in?

Anyway just have a ceremony with lots of chanting to remove any evil spirits.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

This has been going on forever. If people find out someone died in your house, flat or condo, the price plummets. 

On a recent visit to Koh Larn I stayed in the port area as it was much cheaper than the beaches. I was amazed at how many old derelict houses there were and was told they were inhabited by ghosts as people had died there.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

On a recent visit to Koh Larn I stayed in the port area as it was much cheaper than the beaches. I was amazed at how many old derelict houses there were and was told they were inhabited by ghosts as people had died there.

I saw ghosts in NZ, as did my then Kiwi gf. We have no rational explanation, we saw the pair seperately, but both saw the same thing. 

A young couple in 50s attire, arguing. 

They weren't see-through, and they weren't frightening.

Also, some furniture in that room had been rearranged by morning. 

We stayed on, and only moved for unrelated reasons. It only happened once, on Valentine's Day night. 

No big deal. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I saw ghosts in NZ, as did my then Kiwi gf. We have no rational explanation, we saw the pair seperately, but both saw the same thing. 

A young couple in 50s attire, arguing. 

They weren't see-through, and they weren't frightening.

Also, some furniture in that room had been rearranged by morning. 

We stayed on, and only moved for unrelated reasons. It only happened once, on Valentine's Day night. 

No big deal. 

My girlfriend told me that ghosts were "real". I told her there are no ghosts in my country and asked her if she knew why? She didn't. I told her because they can't swim.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ningnong said:

According to the article from Sanook, which has a lot more details, that's a replica of Phra That Phanom in front of the house and not used for ashes.

https://www.sanook.com/news/8825066/

Thanks, but any person passing the house and not knowing the above, might consider them as stupas (chedis/jedis) containing ashes. For reference, my photo of collection of small stupas in a temple in Mandalay, Burma, all containing ashes.(pre latest coup)

image.thumb.jpeg.b9aaf0d9ec1a86706ad68872271be898.jpeg

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Thanks 1

Thais will shun any dwelling where someone has died, more so if the death was violent.

Up the top of a hill in my GF's village, there is a quite palatial but neglected large house. Looks like it has been abandoned. I was driving past it with my GF one day, and wanted to stop for a closer look. My GF pleaded with me to drive on, saying the house had bad spirits. So I did.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

My girlfriend told me that ghosts were "real". I told her there are no ghosts in my country and asked her if she knew why? She didn't. I told her because they can't swim.

I'm a born sceptic.

I just can't find a rational explanation, here's the very odd thing, just like the WH staff who've seen Willie Lincoln, at the time it's not a WTF moment, our reaction at meeting a strange couple in our bedroom was a detached bemusement. 

Those who've never experienced the inexplicable can laugh, I don't care. ???? The Secret Service have seen Willie in the White House, and the US Navy now admit UFOs are real. Enough said. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, chalawaan said:

I'm a born sceptic.

I just can't find a rational explanation, here's the very odd thing, just like the WH staff who've seen Willie Lincoln, at the time it's not a WTF moment, our reaction at meeting a strange couple in our bedroom was a detached bemusement. 

Those who've never experienced the inexplicable can laugh, I don't care. ???? The Secret Service have seen Willie in the White House, and the US Navy now admit UFOs are real. Enough said. 

No they don't. Nuff said because off topic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

US Navy now admit UFOs are real. Enough said. 

"Enough said"?  What does that mean?

They admit that there have been "aircraft" that they could not identify, that's all.  No other revelations have been made.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

when life gives you lemons make lemonade...market to ghost hunters and tourists......cha ching $$$$

You'd have to, you know how superstitious Thais are, if they thought that it was haunted, they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Some 'mansion'! And really old, too. Built 'more than 30 years ago'. What a dump.

image.thumb.jpeg.e8cb53a20bbd4a46ff026548511f07c4.jpeg

Aren't those three dead persons ashes markers there by the front window?

Bit of a giveaway... 555

12 hours ago, zyphodb said:

You'd have to, you know how superstitious Thais are, if they thought that it was haunted, they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

wont have to worry about and robbers or soliciting! ???? just me n the ghosts drinking sangsom

• Haha 1