Which destination my girlfriend and I should go?

WanderlustJoy

Laos and Cambodia no visa fees for Thais. Similar culture. Laos similar language to Isaan. Lots of temples and outdoor stuff. Cheap food and beers. Easy cheap flights from Bangkok.

Or if she likes beaches Ko Kood and Chang. 

Siem Reap has transfers to Chang. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Bora Bora is insanely beautiful, Cocos Islands same, Maldives gorgeous and has sick waves.

The Rtiz in Paris is awesome for a few days of supreme luxury and comfort.

Depends on what you like. 

Expensive. 

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Myanmar, not cheap (as for hotels), but also closeby, and certainly an adventure...

I agree heard good things. So many places nearby. More culture too than some fancy expensive place.

9 minutes ago, n8sail said:

When I first got together with my girlfriend 10 years ago, I traveled with her to places that were as opposite from Thailand as could be.  We live in tropical paradise, don't need to see more of it when we travel.  Usually we travel to go snow skiing.  Japan is an easy trip, good snow (even this time of year) and 'exotic' enough to be a real adventure for a Thai.  It's generally pretty cheap, too.

If you have more money, go to South Island of New Zealand, rent a car and drive around.  We did 2400km in 8 days a few years ago, and it was the most incredible adventure.  She loved it and all her friends were fascinated by the stories and photos.

Visa could be an issue for New Zealand if your girlfriend is not well-employed.  Japan would be much easier I believe as many Thais travel there.

Traveling to snowy places, while not everyone's cup of tea, seems to be a great novelty for Thai people.  As a plus, you get to pay for a lot of new cold-weather clothing for her as well.  Decathalon is the best place to kit up, cheap and relatively decent quality.  There is no such thing as a woman that doesn't love lots more new, novel clothing!  ????

I use this website almost exclusively to plan ski trips.  Incredible, detailed reviews of resorts all over the world (no affiliation with them):   https://www.powderhounds.com/

Japan isn't cheap.

Just now, bignok said:

Japan isn't cheap.

Compared to skiing in North America or Europe, it's cheap as chips!!

In March this year we went to Austria to ski.   While the lift ticket prices aren't all that bad, lodging and food and car rental were off the charts.  Literally twice as much money spent as our New Zealand trip, and 4x as much as Japan.  In Japan we lived like kings in comparison to Austria and New Zealand.

Certainly Hokkaido is a little more, but if you ski at Nagano or Aomori prefectures on Honshu you can find lodging with breakfast and dinner included for about $100/night.   Try that in USA or Europe!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Compared to skiing in North America or Europe, it's cheap as chips!!

In March this year we went to Austria to ski.   While the lift ticket prices aren't all that bad, lodging and food and car rental were off the charts.  Literally twice as much money spent as our New Zealand trip, and 4x as much as Japan.  In Japan we lived like kings in comparison to Austria and New Zealand.

Certainly Hokkaido is a little more, but if you ski at Nagano or Aomori prefectures on Honshu you can find lodging with breakfast and dinner included for about $100/night.   Try that in USA or Europe!

4x Thailand prices. Why would you want to ski?

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

4x Thailand prices. Why would you want to ski?

As I stated in my original post...  I know for sure it's not everyone's cup of tea.

For us, adventure, change of scenery, it's nice to be cold every once in a while when you live in a place that breaks 40C very often and 30C literally every single day.

"To each their own" is the saying I believe.

Also, you can't take your money with you.  I'll likely have no heirs, so I choose to spend mine while I have the physical ability for adventure.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You could take her to your home country and maybe visit some old favourites or places you wished you had visited but never did.

I would not subject your girl to wintry cold weather; it can be a big shock to the system and even distressing.