New Passport at the US Embassy

I am leaving Thailand for a couple of months.  When I return I will apply for a new passport at the US embassy.  

1.  I will be in Bangkok with some visiting family and thought I would just go to the embassy and apply while we are there.  I understand I need to make an appointment. 

2.  If I do this will they allow me to keep my old passport while traveling around Thailand with my family?

3.  Is the processing time 4 to 5 weeks for the new passport?

4.  I was told I would have to send the old passport to the Embassy once I receive my new passport. I assume I can keep it long enough to have all visa stamps etc. moved to my new passport at the immigration office.

Thanks for the help.

I recently renewed using the online procedure. It was difficult to find the correct starting page - there are some old ones that can lead you down a rabbit hole. I needed to setup a Login.gov account to make the payment. I needed a cashier's check from Bangkok Bank (any bank is okay) to pay for the return postage. All in all, it was relatively simple. I was really impressed that I got the new passport in 2 weeks. Good service overall.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, timendres said:

I recently renewed using the online procedure. It was difficult to find the correct starting page - there are some old ones that can lead you down a rabbit hole. I needed to setup a Login.gov account to make the payment. I needed a cashier's check from Bangkok Bank (any bank is okay) to pay for the return postage. All in all, it was relatively simple. I was really impressed that I got the new passport in 2 weeks. Good service overall.

A Google search (us passport thailand) returns the correct link as the first search result:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

but the embassy site is a large one and I guess it is possible to get off on the wrong foot.

It's correct that you need a cashier's check (bank draft) from a Thai bank to pay for the return envelope and postage but the instructions on what to ask the Thai bank for are very good and in Thai for you to take to the bank with you.  You can also use a separate cashier's check to pay for the passport book.  You do need to use a cashier's check to pay for a passport card, if you choose to get one.  So, you could have used two Thai bank drafts to pay for your order instead of using the Login.gov site to make a payment for the passport.  I found that site/process of paying online a bit cumbersome but I wanted to try it out and it does work.  It should be easier once you are registered there, but probably in 10 years the process of paying will be even easier but different. ???? It is indeed impressive that they can deliver your new and old passports to your Thai address by Thai Post EMS in 2 weeks (although now they estimate that process to take 4-5 weeks).  It's a good service, indeed.

• Thanks 1