Does your Thai partner know much about history outside of Thailand?

sharksy

On 4/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, Sigma6 said:

I think by 'English' he means... English.

St George is the patron saint of England.

St Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland

St David  is the patron saint of Wales

St Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland

I learned that before I left school in 1959 along with history which I enjoyed. I picked up most of the rest of my history knowledge from books, or being in the region where conflicts were taking place.

And a fat lot of good it has done me since.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 8:13 AM, jaideedave said:

When my Thai wife and I embarked on one of our 1st road trips in Thailand (pre GPS) she was utterly amazed at how I as a foreigner could navigate us around the country using only a road map.I felt a little like Captain Cook. 555

When I worked for Motorola and DTAC in the 1990s I used to have 3 paper map books in the car. 1 in English for me and 2 in Thai for my driver. I also carried ordinance Survey maps in Thai and English. We also had a book for hotels in Thailand.

Suchart would get us close to the site by maps and then ask the way for the last km or so. He would also book a hotel for me and one for himself.

No internet or GPS then back in the 1990s

On 5/2/2023 at 6:43 AM, Gandtee said:

• Thumbs Up 1

i just opened Google Earth and asked my 18 year old son where Thailand was, and he went straight to it.

I then asked him where I was born without mentioning the name and he went to the UK on Google Earth.

• Like 1

Lol, Flicking through new Netflix movies & “Barbie Spy Movie” came up so I asked the GF if she knew what Barbie was… Didn’t have a clue. 

Maybe knowledge about the rest of the world is overrated at times ????

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2023 at 5:00 AM, sharksy said:

Took my university educated GF on a trip round Vietnam, Cambodia.

I was astonished that she had never heard of the Khymer Rouge, or anything about what happened in Cambodia.

Similar in Vietnam.  Never heard of the Vietnam war.  Not really interested either, just so long as the photos come out OK.

Far from normal, my uneducated wife, who left school at 14 knows all the local history

My ex Thai Lady (then 39 years old), was oblivious to the outside World and many places in Thailand as well.

Two University degrees and an interpreter, yet had little idea of the World around her.  Probably the most astounding comments she made were the Holocaust did not happen, it was a political stunt and the moon landings were staged behind a barn somewhere.

Took her to Europe and USA on several trips. Her only interest was the pretty home and good wine.

No interest or knowledge of history or political figures.

She would prefer to sleep most of the day and sho for clothes and handbags in the early eve.

As the old saying goes... if it flies, floats, or .......;  just rent it.   Holiday girls are the answer.

• Like 1

Watching a video on TikTok, a young girl who lives on the outskirts of London is chatting with a young Liverpudlian lad on video chat. She asks him what time it is in Liverpool. Young lad looks in disbelief and after asking her a few times and confirming where they both lives says to her you’re on a wind up aren’t you. She didn’t even know that London and Liverpool were in the same time zone. So it’s not only Thai girls who have a problem with knowledge. 

• Like 1

Not only do most Thais have little or no knowledge of recent regional or global history, they also know very little about recent Thai history. Try asking someone who wasn't alive at the time about the 1976 Thammasat massacre and you will get a blank stare. They are only taught fictionalised accounts of heroic wars with Burma and about historical figures who may not even have ever existed.