Thailand offers 11 billion baht subsidy for low-income electricity bills

webfact

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Deregulation or privatisation never leads to lower prices. Profits always comes 1st.

Therefore the life in the Soviet Union was a paradise without private companies and in the west we had nothing?
Yes profit, but as soon as you add too much another company will offer it cheaper, so you have a permanent fight for the customer and cheaper production solution. That why modern electronic that isn't high end costs almost nothing. How much would a TV cost if there is just one state owned factory?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, h90 said:

Therefore the life in the Soviet Union was a paradise without private companies and in the west we had nothing?
Yes profit, but as soon as you add too much another company will offer it cheaper, so you have a permanent fight for the customer and cheaper production solution. That why modern electronic that isn't high end costs almost nothing. How much would a TV cost if there is just one state owned factory?

Manufacturing and privatising the energy sector are not the same thing.

27 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Manufacturing and privatising the energy sector are not the same thing.

Of course it is the same...privatization worked on phone lines, on mobile phone on internet lines, even that is not a complete privatization. But prices dropped like 90% everywhere the privatized state own phone.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 10:38 AM, KhunBENQ said:

To the point and at the same time blaming opposition parties for their lush promises.

Are you saying that the unelected caretaker PM is a hypocrite as well as a liar?? Tut tut!

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Are you saying that the unelected caretaker PM is a hypocrite as well as a liar?? Tut tut!

Did you miss the last election where this PM got the most votes? Now he is caretaker but he is as much elected as possible in Thailand (you vote for parties not PMs)

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, h90 said:

Yes it is a huge investment, but it is safe energy for 50, they speak already about 80 years on the new plants. And all the world is building them. Poland alone is planning 6 new nuclear power plants to replace their coal plants. Since a long time the spent fuel rods can be recycled it is not the 1980s anymore. It is by far the cheapest source of electric and it produces almost no CO2.
We can't increase electric consumption (Aircons, electric cars), don't build power plants, close coal power plants and complain about increasing prices. Either prices are high so industry goes into other countries and normal people can't have airconditions, or we build coal power plants (I don't know if Thailand has coal domestic) or we build nuclear power plants. Only problem is that no one want to have it close to their land. I wouldn't want it in my neighborhood. But I wouldn't want a coal power plant in my neighborhood as well.

Thailand does have a coal mining industry.

https://www.worldometers.info/coal/thailand-coal/

Thailand Coal
Summary Table
     Tons    Global Rank
Coal Reserves
1,171,755,530    32nd in the world
Coal Production
18,715,682    23rd in the world
Coal Consumption
42,674,986    20th in the world
Yearly Deficit
Coal Imports
Coal Exports

More information in the link.

There is already a 36% surplus of electricity generating capacity so why would Thailand NEED to spend billions of baht to increase that capability.

Which country would recycle the spent fuel rods,and what would be the cost to clear them from the site, transport them to a country for reprocessing, have them reprocessed, and what to do with the rods then?

ALL these costs add up to the price of the electricity produced, so, sorry the electricity is not the cheapest and almost free.

But you would have known that if you had done any research in the beginning.

Just a thought for you.

Try going anywhere in Thailand, selecting a spot and telling the local Thais that you ARE going to build a 2,000 MW nuclear power station on that very spot.

The response will be interesting.

You could try telling them that their electricity bill will be less in 20 or 30 years time, after all the loans are repaid. That may help but I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

Did you miss the last election where this PM got the most votes? Now he is caretaker but he is as much elected as possible in Thailand (you vote for parties not PMs)

It's interesting isn't it. He got the most votes (moved the goal posts along the way?) but not the most seats and had 250 senators voting for him for PM. And you're right. People vote for their candidtes and the party but the house and the senate vote for the PM. Please see above bold text.

Party Leader % Seats
Palang Pracharat Prayut Chan-o-cha 23.34 116
Pheu Thai Sudarat Keyuraphan 21.92 136
Future Forward Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit 17.34 81

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Thai_general_election#:~:text=Official results were announced on,Forward%2C Democrat and Bhumjaithai parties.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, h90 said:

So the Thai electorate voted for this soldier along with his 200 odd senators/generals??

Wait till I see Mrs Jones for voting and not telling me.

20 hours ago, dinsdale said:

It's interesting isn't it. He got the most votes (moved the goal posts along the way?) but not the most seats and had 250 senators voting for him for PM. And you're right. People vote for their candidtes and the party but the house and the senate vote for the PM. Please see above bold text.

Party Leader % Seats
Palang Pracharat Prayut Chan-o-cha 23.34 116
Pheu Thai Sudarat Keyuraphan 21.92 136
Future Forward Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit 17.34 81

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Thai_general_election#:~:text=Official results were announced on,Forward%2C Democrat and Bhumjaithai parties.

you conveniently leave out that also almost all parties in parliament voted for him (19 parties) and that in almost all the polls before election he was the preferred prime minister (both from your link). So if everyone want him, it is logic that the senators also vote for him, and not for the nominee of a criminal on the run.
But you are right these senator construction is not very democratic....still he got the most votes, got a big coalition of support....it is democratic. If the people don't agree they'll not vote for him again. We'll see

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

So the Thai electorate voted for this soldier along with his 200 odd senators/generals??

Wait till I see Mrs Jones for voting and not telling me.

And the most people in the country....

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, h90 said:

you conveniently leave out that also almost all parties in parliament voted for him (19 parties) and that in almost all the polls before election he was the preferred prime minister (both from your link). So if everyone want him, it is logic that the senators also vote for him, and not for the nominee of a criminal on the run.
But you are right these senator construction is not very democratic....still he got the most votes, got a big coalition of support....it is democratic. If the people don't agree they'll not vote for him again. We'll see

You are absolutely correct. Everyone wanted Prayut as PM. I wonder why everyone except the elites/conservitives hate hiim. Senators voted for him because their pockets were filled by him. People know last time the goal posts were moved. Evreryone knows this ####### will do everything and anything to stay in power. I said this when he got into power through a coup d'etat. He's a general but not only that he's a megalomanic general. The majority of Thais hate him. As for "If the people don't agree they'll not vote for him again." they didn't vote for him last time. The senate, moving the goal posts, dissolving an entire political party through the bought off Constitution Court got him to be PM. Up to you if your a fanboy  for a complete ####. The only way he'll be PM again is from not from a free and fair election and not from the will of the people.