Insulated metal roof

indyo

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If a suitable underlining foil is in place of a galv steel underlining it will serve just as well and bring costs down. 

I guess it could be a choice as to the design of the build to whether the underside would be used as a finished ceiling.

Yeah, from what I remember from my last purchase the shop has offered three types of the underside finishes: silvery side of the foil facing out, white side out or a layer of plastic white sheet.

I'm not 100% sure about plastic though since I've never considered or looked into that option.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, unheard said:

From what I've seen on this board that's the silvery thin material that does tend to separate after a number of years, especially when exposed to elements.

It's not made out of PU!

That is a rather blanket, and so wrong, statement (It's not made out of PU!). There are more than 1 type of thin (5mm) silver backed sheet foam that is glued to bluescope steel roofs. I have off cuts of that that were used in protecting my steel during transport and it is made from PU.

Thanks all for answering and helping on this matter,

so I got mainly 2 good info here, PU is not that flammable I thought and I can get it directly from a local bluescope franchise shop, but anyway having the PU foam embedded between two metal sheets is required for me, a user from Rayong got it so I will query the local bluescope shop for it.

I also found what looks like a good product and the price looks honest but cons no bluscope steel:

5cm PU foam incapsulated between 2 metal sheets:

https://en.sangthaimetalsheet.com/st-40-760pu

any opinion or alternative will be appreciated

TIA

31 minutes ago, indyo said:

so I got mainly 2 good info here, PU is not that flammable I thought and I can get it directly from a local bluescope franchise shop, but anyway having the PU foam embedded between two metal sheets is required for me, a user from Rayong got it so I will query the local bluescope shop for it.

I also found what looks like a good product and the price looks honest but cons no bluscope steel:

TIA

Same just different companies, always worth checking alternatives of price delivery and whether can recommend a competent roof fixer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, indyo said:

TIA

The links in the OP specified the zing coatings of the top and bottom sheets.

The coating is critical, make sure you're comparing apples to apples when you get pricing. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

The coating is critical, make sure you're comparing apples to apples when you get pricing. 

Why would coating matter on the bottom sheet?

What's so critical about that?

It wouldn't be exposed to any elements.

Edited by unheard

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is a rather blanket, and so wrong, statement (It's not made out of PU!). There are more than 1 type of thin (5mm) silver backed sheet foam that is glued to bluescope steel roofs. I have off cuts of that that were used in protecting my steel during transport and it is made from PU.

The thin glued-on insulation layer is not the type of 25mm PU foam that's produced by mixing two liquid streams that's made right at the roll-forming line.

The thin material is made off-site and comes in rolls.

That's the only difference that matters to this discussion.

The thin stuff can be made out of anything including bubble wrap.

Let's keep things simple.

Edited by unheard
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, unheard said:

The thin glued-on insulation layer is not the type of 25mm PU foam that's produced by mixing two liquid streams that's made right at the roll-forming line.

It's made off-site and comes in rolls then gets glued on.

That's the only difference that matters to this discussion.

The thin stuff can be made out of anything including bubble wrap.

Let's keep things simple.

Then you should really stop making incorrect statements that you then try to walk back by moving the goalposts. And whatever you believe this discussion is not as limited as you would seem to like.

I am well aware of the way that custom PU foam is made, I have 6 x 45 gallon barrels that housed the required 2 chemicals that were used on our house.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Our local metal goods dealer has 76-cm wide roofing sheets with 25-mm insulated foam w/metal foil at 360 baht/meter.  Sorry, don't know the brand name.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Bluescope is considered to be the best and most expensive option for coated roof material.

But they're not the only game in town.

There at least several other, cheaper suppliers of roofing metal selling in this market.

My understanding is that the other options would be coming from Chinese and Korean manufacturers.

The non-affiliated with Bluescope shops normally sell cheaper roofing metal which is roll-formed in the exact same way, more likely on the same or similar machinery, including PU foam mixers.

The only difference is the core material.

Edited by unheard

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I am well aware of the way that custom PU foam is made, I have 6 x 45 gallon barrels that housed the required 2 chemicals that were used on our house.

How's spray foam related to this discussion?

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Humidity. 

It won't produce any rust on the surface of the thinly coated material - no need for multi-layer treatments similar to the out facing site which is exposed to UV, acid, salts, dirt etc.

Edited by unheard

14 minutes ago, unheard said:

It won't produce any rust on the surface of the thinly coated material - no need for multi-layer treatments similar to the out facing site which is exposed to UV, acid, salts, dirt etc.

I'm talking about the zinc coating, not paint and whatnot.

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm talking about the zinc coating, not paint and whatnot.

But why would it matter for the inside facing sheet?

Why to overpay for extra protection?

Unless roofing over a facility dealing with corrosive chemicals.

Edited by unheard

4 hours ago, indyo said:

but anyway having the PU foam embedded between two metal sheets is required for me

You haven't mentioned if you've already planned or priced out the rest of your house project.

Just a word of advice...(Please disregard if money is no object).

It's only natural to desire the best available materials.

But the vast majority of us don't have a luxury of unlimited budgets.

The Roof is not the only component that determines overall quality of a structure.

Quality of the builder, walls, windows, ceilings (insulation), doors, thermal design/house orientation, shading, furniture and amenities...

All will have to compete for and be balanced out within your particular budget.

You've mentioned that you don't want to build a hot box.

The super-duper roof alone won't help you in achieving a well insulated dwelling.

Edited by unheard

42 minutes ago, unheard said:

You haven't mentioned if you've already planned or priced out the rest of your house project.

Just a word of advice...(Please disregard if money is no object).

It's only natural to desire the best available materials.

But the vast majority of us don't have a luxury of unlimited budgets.

The Roof is not the only component that determines overall quality of a structure.

Quality of the builder, walls, windows, ceilings (insulation), doors, thermal design/house orientation, shading, furniture and amenities...

All will have to compete for and be balanced out within your particular budget.

You've mentioned that you don't want to build a hot box.

The super-duper roof alone won't help you in achieving a well insulated dwelling.

I think OP knows that but it's an external bubble part of a house that needs insulation as well as floor area and external outside surrounding wall areas. 

1 hour ago, unheard said:

But why would it matter for the inside facing sheet?

Why to overpay for extra protection?

Unless roofing over a facility dealing with corrosive chemicals.

Have you checked the prices? If not, why are you claiming one costs more than the other? 

This is what I said: 

All I've said was to check the specification of the material to better compare. If one is galvanized and painted, and the other is just painted, the one that is galvanized is worth more. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Have you checked the prices? If not, why are you claiming one costs more than the other?

Is that hard to deduct based on the available info?

The question is by how much more.

We can only hope that OP shares his price discovery findings after obtaining price quotes.

Threads like this regularly spring up around this forum without much of a follow up.

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

This is what I said: 

All I've said was to check the specification of the material to better compare. If one is galvanized and painted, and the other is just painted, the one that is galvanized is worth more. 

It may well be galv metal sheeting what you miss with respect is the thickness of the covers sheet profile thickness which again can make other manufacturers turned out a cheaper sq metres price. 

Example in simple terms sheet thickness •3mm,  •4mm, •5mm,  •7mm. Top or bottom in construction.  Foam quaility. 

Edited by Kwasaki
Beet

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Example in simple terms sheet thickness •3mm,  •4mm, •5mm,  •7mm. Top or bottom in construction.  Foam quaility. 

Delivery costs is another big expense that is usually not factored into the overall price.

4 minutes ago, unheard said:

Is that hard to deduct based on the available info?

No

The question is by how much more.

For what? 

We can only hope that OP shares his price discovery findings after obtaining price quotes.

I'll hope along with you. 

Threads like this regularly spring up around this forum without much of a follow up.

Once people have the information they need, what's the point of following up? 

1 minute ago, unheard said:

Delivery costs is another big expense that is usually not factored into the overall price.

No. While the delivery cost should be considered when comparing prices, it is generally not very significant.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Once people have the information they need, what's the point of following up? 

Well, yeah...

And then another thread comes up later on with a similar question.

Filled with speculation and unnecessary arguments.

Just like this thread...

On 4/27/2023 at 9:38 PM, indyo said:

the product I linked is composed by two metal sheets so the insulation is embedded, I guess this company should have also the terminals to protect from UV rays and rats, PIR is also safer than PU, PU is very flammable and having an house inside a rural village where they burn anything is a concern.

PIR is polyisocyanurate. The panels are designed to form a stable char in a fire. While it is true PU is more flammable, it usually is dosed with flame retardants.