Hospital Bill Paying via a Wise Transfer

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

<removed>

edit : I need needs to arrive in The hospital Bank account (if I transfer it via Wise) as an international transfer as stated on the site so I can send the hospital a Swift transfer paper

this is what it says on the hospital site

In order to confirm the transfer promprtly, please specify the patient's name and Hospital Number (HN) on the pay-in slip. Once the transfer is completed, please ask the bank for the SWIFT MT103 notification form and fax or email it to the hospital at:

i think you are overcomplicating things. 

The MT 103 advice is simply a tranasfer receipt they can refer to while they wit for the money to land.

Using Wise, there will be no wait (at least mot of time, depending on the total. 

As others have suggested you can also transfer to your local account and then make an immediate transfer to the hospital  that way. 

if, though i highly doubt this is the case, the transfer must be a swift transfer, with most currnecues you have that option as well using wise. it just adds extra fees and delays into the mix,

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Are you in hospital overnight?

Normally ( with the insurance companies i've used ) if you're inpatient they deal direct with hospital and settle the bill, if you're out patient you pay first and are then reimbursed.

NO OPD.

As already Said, Insurer has said that I must Pay myself, claim and they will reimburse me.

Pain in the ..... this. (and that is why the Thread)

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes but if what most of us have, cataract/iol, only one eye should be done and cost should not be much over 100k, if that.  At any rate you can pay with cash over several visits if you do not want to carry it all at one time.  But avoid phone apps so can not answer you query on using after changing your appearance.  

Estimate is 120-140k for  right eye,  and 160k - 180k for left eye (much more complicated)

Edited by MJCM

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Estimate is 120-140k for  right eye,  and 160k - 180k for left eye (much more complicated)

OK so your app should work before operation so if want to wait just put that amount into hospital account same day - or visit early and do so nothing to worry about on day of operation.  You should be able to use app or cash or cashier check.

Edited by lopburi3

8 minutes ago, n00dle said:

The MT 103 advice is simply a tranasfer receipt they can refer to while they wit for the money to land.

Yes but wouldn't that mean that the Transfer has NOT to come (from WISE) from a LOCAL Bank Transfer but show up as FTT ??

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

OK so your app should work before operation so if want to wait just put that amount into hospital account same day - of visit early and do so nothing to worry about on day of operation.  You should be able to use app or cash or cashier check.

As I said earlier the CASH option is becoming more and more appealing. Will get the Max amount in Cash and any overpayments will be do via QR or CC.

Early visit is not really possible, as we are 500kms away from the Hospital.

Just now, MJCM said:

Yes but wouldn't that mean that the Transfer has NOT to come (from WISE) from a LOCAL Bank Transfer but show up as FTT ??

They do not care how it shows up - they are just asking for proof it was sent/link to you.  If sent by SWIFT that paperwork would work.  If use Wise you can download paperwork showing local bank transfer information to their account.  But direct payment with cashiers check/cash would provide immediate confirmation/receipt and avoid any banking issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

ATMs have brail init. :omfg:

Why don’t people learn it?  Why should they?

There are a lot of reasons that people may not learn Braille. Similar to learning a second language as an adult, Braille can be more difficult to learn. Developing the ability to distinguish Braille via touch can take a very long time for a person to learn. Audio and voice activation are so commonplace these days that it’s more integrative and inclusive for most. That being said, there are populations that can’t benefit from high-tech solutions, which is why I think having a variety of tools is the way to go.

https://www.accessliving.org/newsroom/blog/on-blindness-and-braille/

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

But direct payment with cashiers check/cash would provide immediate confirmation/receipt and avoid any banking issues.

Yeah I do think now that is the absolute BEST option to do and don't bother with Transfers via the Banking APP (maybe only the overpayments)

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

once again i ask why does it matter if they have the cash in hand? I woud suggest the only person who can clear this up works for the hospital.  There is a very high likelihood that the policy was written before wise was an option.

Also you can use Wise to send a SWIFT transfer. I just confirmed that i the wise app. it will cost you an extra 3.52 USD

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Also you can use Wise to send a SWIFT transfer. I just confirmed that i the wise app. it will cost you an extra 3.52 USD

I am going to check that out, did not know it was an option.

Edit: Where do you see that option?

I only see "Low Cost Transfer, Fast Transfer and Easy Transfer" no mention of Swift.

Edit2: And Transferring 150k THB I am only left with the options "Low Cost and Fast Transfer"

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

But why then the face scan, and how are they going to enforce it, my iPHone already uses Face Scan to get access, but I can use a 6 digit to access it if the Face Scan doesn't work., but how is the Face Scan in the Banking App going to work? And especially after a Eye Operation. Will there be a way to still get access?

@scubascuba3

Do you have any idea how this new Face Scan for Banking apps is going to work?

You've misunderstood the International requirement, thats only for your retirement extension if needed. For the hospital just pay them using the your thai bank app, go into a branch if need be. Also you can transfer under 50k, more than once. You've overcomplicated it massively

11 minutes ago, n00dle said:

OP, perhaps it is the stress the upcoming surgery, but you are riduculously overcomplicationg this, 

TALK TO THE HOSPITAL 

As I wrote in later post, I am going to pay now in CASH and any overpayments via qr or CC.

thanks @lopburi3 for the tip

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

NO OPD.

As already Said, Insurer has said that I must Pay myself, claim and they will reimburse me.

Pain in the ..... this. (and that is why the Thread)

I know you’ve covered this...  BUT... I want to add something which may be of value. 

My (previous) insurance company also covered me for Inpatient treatment only with direct settlement, any outpatient treatment I had to get pre-authorised, then paid for myself and claimed back from the insurance company. 

The ‘differentiation’ between inpatient and outpatient is whether or not you’ve been ‘admitted’ - as you are undergoing surgical treatment it means you are ‘being admitted’ - even if treated as a ‘day care patient’.

... Thus: IF your insurance is one which has any direct settlement agreement in-place with the hospital for ‘Inpatient treatment’ then this should carry.

Thus: In this case suspect your insurer is not one which has any direct settlement agreement with the hospital at all - is this correct ?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: In this case suspect your insurer is not one which has any direct settlement agreement with the hospital at all - is this correc

i guess so, it’s not a Thai insurance, but I am really wondering why it is because I send the first estimate on April 9th, and just yesterday afternoon we got a phone call from the Hospital in which they they told us that I have to pay for it myself and then the insurance will reimburse me, and they (the hospital) then send us a link to the Payment options the hospital offers, and one of them is VIA SWIFT (International transfer)

And that is why this thread. 

edit I should have placed a comma between No and Opd. The operation takes approximately 2-3 hrs and then I am “released”. Follow up the next day (booked a hotel near the Hospital)

Edited by MJCM

In my case using FEP Blue Cross of USA only inpatient would be direct paid at selected hospitals (100%).  Or could pay first and obtain 100% payment later at any hospital.  But for outpatient max payment would be 85% (often a bit less due to deductibles) and would have to pay first.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In my case using FEP Blue Cross of USA only inpatient would be direct paid at selected hospitals (100%).  Or could pay first and obtain 100% payment later at any hospital.  But for outpatient max payment would be 85% (often a bit less due to deductibles) and would have to pay first.

I had a procedures done at another hospital one time IPD and the other one OPD and both were paid directly by the Insurer to the Hospital. Now because it’s a significant amount it’s a bit of a pain to also worry about this when I thought everything was already settled.

The estimate for the procedure on my right eye I send in on the 9th to the Insurance and just ….. yesterday afternoon, the hospital informed me about it ????

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I had a procedures done at another hospital one time IPD and the other one OPD and both were paid directly by the Insurer to the Hospital. Now because it’s a significant amount it’s a bit of a pain to also worry about this when I thought everything was already settled.

The estimate for the procedure on my right eye I send in on the 9th to the Insurance and just ….. yesterday afternoon, the hospital informed me about it ????

It will depend on insurance and hospital - indeed for a year or so I was able to get direct payment to Bangkok Hospital in and out - then they did not accept at all - then only for in (now I believe).  

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The ‘differentiation’ between inpatient and outpatient is whether or not you’ve been ‘admitted’ - as you are undergoing surgical treatment it means you are ‘being admitted’ - even if treated as a ‘day care patient’.

That's not how my insurance company treat it (Pacific Cross).  In patient requires an overnight stay while a day bed operation is regarded as out patient (for which I'm not covered) AIUI.

Edited by treetops

10 hours ago, MJCM said:

I am wondering how that is going to pan out with the new restrictions the Banks are imposing on us with transfers over 50.000 THB, the amount I have to pay is substantial MORE

"...the new restrictions the Banks are imposing on us with transfers over 50.000 THB..."

No Thai banks impose B50k (or any other level) maximum deposit restrictions to their customers' accounts, domestically or internationally, and there are no plans for this to be implemented.  It's time posters stopped making this false assertion.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

10 hours ago, MJCM said:

No I am not talking about WISE, Thai Banks are putting restrictions on transfers over 50.000 THB at a time.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-mBanking/MB-SecurityUpgrade

"Thai Banks are putting restrictions on transfers over 50.000 THB at a time".

No they are not, they are simply increasing security procedures.

Edited by Liverpool Lou