New passport and then extension

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is no problem with what you propose (provided, as you believe, you receive the new passport in time). When you apply for the extension, Immigration will transfer your most recent entry stamp along with annotations documenting the change of passports. They will then stamp the extension into your new passport. At most immigration offices, one official will coordinate all of this. At some larger offices, they may want you to request the stamp transfer at a separate desk before applying for the extension. The change of passports is supposed to be free of charge, but some offices will want to charge you. The prevailing consensus seems to be to accept this unofficial charge as long as it is minimal. Which immigration office are you planning to use?

Thank you - that's exactly the info I was asking about. The immigration office? It's likely to be Jomtien.

2 minutes ago, underthesky said:

Thank you - that's exactly the info I was asking about. The immigration office? It's likely to be Jomtien.

I think Jomtien will require you to do the stamp transfer at a separate desk. I am sure someone else will be able to tell you if Jomtien applies an unofficial charge for this service and, if so, how much it is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gaccha said:

I'm genuinely bewildered by this post and I noticed nobody else has touched it.

Are you suggesting that you will apply for a new British passport whilst you are on a 30 day holiday in Thailand? 

Let's be clear: that will be impossible. It will take at least a couple of months for your passport to arrive after you've applied in Bangkok. I also think you cannot apply for a new passport from Thailand unless you are living in Thailand. A tourist visa presumably removes that possibility of claiming that you are "living" here. 

I hope you can clarify your intentions and I also hope other people will help me and you out on what you're trying to do.

you can apply for a US passport on any visa>
I've had 1 issued in HK on a visa exempt stamp and 1 in Kathmandu on a tourist visa

2 hours ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

At Jomtien it is at desk 8 (retirement) and there is no charge. Be aware that you have to leave your passports there overnite to pick up the next day.

You can get the form and photocopies in the shop next door.

Out of interest what forms are required. I know you have to get a form from the embassy, is there a Thai TM? form as well?

10 minutes ago, jimn said:

Out of interest what forms are required. I know you have to get a form from the embassy, is there a Thai TM? form as well?

Your embassy may be one that stopped issuing the so-called "embassy letter" regarding the transfer from old to new passport. I'll know by the end of next week whether this is a major snag, but Yaivisa Pass agency right next to Chonburi IO told me this would not be a problem for passports from my country. Said agency quoted me 2.5 Baht for the transfer which would take 3 working days.

Edited by JackGats
more info

I just ordered new US passport.  

Embassy website said 21-28 days.

I had 45 days.  I didn't waste a second after getting visa and mailing it to embassy.

4 weeks in... I asked embassy if it ready.

they said, friday.  if not, it will be here monday.

I waited and both failed to appear.

Week 5.  Same thing.

Week 6.  repeated same refrain.

It's one thing to to be running late, but they were claiming something specific that I NEEDED to know.

Day 40 or so I called again, and they said ....same thing lol.

So, my last visa day was good on a monday.  they called me friday and said I can come get an emergency visa as it will be there monday (they said if official this time).

Of course I took it.  But I had to cancel my day and rush my butt to BKK and barely got there in time as they decided they were going to close early since it was friday.  Got in by a whisker.

Now, if they were just polite and honest...and told me wednesday that it would be MOnday...I could have EMSed it for 40 baht and they could have mailed me the emergency one...instead it cost me nearly an additional 5000 baht and a lost day to get there and back.

the last thing in the world I wanted to do was to start my new passport off with an overstay.

It all worked out...but it was a much bigger pain than it should have been.  They were 3 weeks later than said delivery date when I sent it.

I paid an agent to get my 30 day extension.  I don't think they charged me extra for the stamp transfer.

If you need to get stamp transfered on it's own...the agent charges 900.

I'm doing a border run soon where I'll need to transfer stamp again from emergency to the official passport.

No. Since I got emergency passport to 4 days later...they NO LONGER GIVE OUT LETTER FROM EMBASSY.

they say this is fine and immigration and border will accept.  But hey, when is it ever easy during a new process?

We'll see.

Goodluck!

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

from emergency to the official passport

I don't know about your country, But my recollection for the emergency travel documents is they can only be used to enter your Motherland. 

Not sure though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaccha said:

I don't know about your country, But my recollection for the emergency travel documents is they can only be used to enter your Motherland. 

Not sure though...

My emergency passport is already canceled too.  I now have my permanent fresh one, but need the stamp transfered from emergency to perm.

Which brings me to a question, that can be done at the border exiting, right?

On 4/28/2023 at 10:45 AM, Gaccha said:

I'm genuinely bewildered by this post and I noticed nobody else has touched it.

Are you suggesting that you will apply for a new British passport whilst you are on a 30 day holiday in Thailand? 

Let's be clear: that will be impossible. It will take at least a couple of months for your passport to arrive after you've applied in Bangkok. I also think you cannot apply for a new passport from Thailand unless you are living in Thailand. A tourist visa presumably removes that possibility of claiming that you are "living" here. 

I hope you can clarify your intentions and I also hope other people will help me and you out on what you're trying to do.

You genuinely seem bewildered judging by the amount of incorrect information in your post

57 minutes ago, farangbuffalo said:

You genuinely seem bewildered judging by the amount of incorrect information

There are a variety of ways to note my bewilderment. One is to notice the contents of my post where I state that I am genuinely bewildered. My bewilderment can also be inferred from the structure of my post. Thirdly, my appeal to others and my caution as to the accuracy of my post also display my genuine bewilderment. I'm glad that from that you are able to a certain that I am genuinely bewildered.

7 hours ago, Dart12 said:

My emergency passport is already canceled too.  I now have my permanent fresh one, but need the stamp transfered from emergency to perm.

Which brings me to a question, that can be done at the border exiting, right?

That depends. If you are in Thailand on a visa exempt entry, or with an entry from a visa (where all that needs to be transferred is basically your entry stamp) that can be done at the border. If leaving by land, note that you may need to wait until the official who is supposed to do stamp transfers is available. If you have an extension of stay with an existing re-entry permit, I believe (at the airport at least) they can transfer enough to allow you to leave Thailand and return. However, the extension (and re-entry stamp in the old passport) will not be transferred. You will still need to visit the immigration office that issued those to have them transferred.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your posts have been incorrect in many ways. 

Not correct in some ways.

If I state what I'm writing is incorrect, when it turns out to be incorrect, then my post is entirely correct. It follows the same structural homology as the liar's paradox.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

That depends. If you are in Thailand on a visa exempt entry, or with an entry from a visa (where all that needs to be transferred is basically your entry stamp) that can be done at the border. If leaving by land, note that you may need to wait until the official who is supposed to do stamp transfers is available. If you have an extension of stay with an existing re-entry permit, I believe (at the airport at least) they can transfer enough to allow you to leave Thailand and return. However, the extension (and re-entry stamp in the old passport) will not be transferred. You will still need to visit the immigration office that issued those to have them transferred.

BOLD above:
immigration on departure from thailand can and will transfer all relevant info form old passport to new> just arrive early so you have time.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

I'm not quite following your explanation (my fault not yours).

But It is a visa exempt entry and then last stamp is 30 day extension stamp.

I will be doing a land border run to cambodia.

Will I need that transfered in advance? or be fine taking both passports to the border?

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

BOLD above:
immigration on departure from thailand can and will transfer all relevant info form old passport to new> just arrive early so you have time.

Does this include immigration at land borders?

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

Does this include immigration at land borders?

I would not count on immigration at a land border transferring extension of stay stamps etc. Even if they can, you would likely face delays and in soem cases erhaos be told to go to a different location etc.

However from your posts above it seems all you have is an entry stamp from a visa exempt entry. In that case there is really no need to transfer anything. Just show both passports on your way out so they can locate the entry stamp.

Use new passport on your next entry.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I would not count on immigration at a land border transferring extension of stay stamps etc. Even if they can, you would likely face delays and in soem cases erhaos be told to go to a different location etc.

However from your posts above it seems all you have is an entry stamp from a visa exempt entry. In that case there is really no need to transfer anything. Just show both passports on your way out so they can locate the entry stamp.

Use new passport on your next entry.

yeah, I am in country from a 30 day entry stamp, then I extended my stay another 30 days with extension stamp and now will be doing 2nd border run of year (and hopefully last of lifetime).
The extension stamp (and entry stamp) are in my emergency (canceled) visa.

so I can just take those to the border, no need to go to immigration prior?

I've decided I'm going to use an agent as well.  Seems too many small hiccups.  I just really didn't want a cramped van ride again.

I'll report back with what they tell me after they reply too.