Rise in Covid-19 inpatients and deaths expected to increase during Thailand’s rainy season

snoop1130

thediplomat-2021-04-12-1.jpg

PHOTO: Flickr

The number of Covid-19 inpatients in Thailand increased to 1,811 in the last week of April, up from 1,088 in the previous week. Meanwhile, related deaths doubled from 5 to 10 over the same period, as reported by the Department of Disease Control (DDC). These figures saw a rise two weeks after the Songkran festival in mid-April and are anticipated to increase further when the new school term and rainy season commence this month.

On April 29, there were 157 Covid patients with lung inflammation, a significant increase from 73 on April 22. Additionally, 79 of these new patients were dependent on ventilators, up from 35 previously.

Between January 1 and April 29, Thailand registered 8,383 Covid inpatients and 288 related fatalities. Government spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri mentioned on Tuesday that the DDC expects the number of Covid inpatients to soar during the upcoming rainy season, along with influenza outbreaks.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/rise-in-covid-19-inpatients-and-deaths-expected-to-increase-during-thailands-rainy-season

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

The change from hot and dry conditions to the rainy season always sparks common cold symptoms and other illnesses in many Thais. If they have underlying health issues and are unlucky enough to contract the new strain of Covid then figures will rise accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Between January 1 and April 29, Thailand registered 8,383 Covid inpatients and 288 related fatalities.

So we're looking at around 70 per day inpatients. Now I'm not sure if hospitals still screen inpatients for covid but if they do then a % of these I believe would be incidental. Gone to hospital for reasons other than Covid (lung infections from pm2.5?) but have been found positive in the screening process. 288 related fatalities. What exactly is a related fatality. We say road fatality not road related fatality so Covid related fatality for my mind says Covid was present but not the direct cause of death. They  died with not from. I wonder how many people die with the common cold and not from the common cold each day especially when the common is circulating.

p.s. the pic ammuses me as fever is one of the less common Omicron symtoms.

Edited by dinsdale

I wonder how many cases of supposed covid are actually the result of all the pollution causing inflamed lungs which will then leave the person open to any infections that are around.

10 hours ago, cmjl said:

I wonder how many cases of supposed covid are actually the result of all the pollution causing inflamed lungs which will then leave the person open to any infections that are around.

Exposure to bad air pollution has been shown to be a risk factor for bad outcomes with COVID cases, like various other factors. That's true.

But air pollution doesn't CAUSE COVID infections. COVID does.