Thailand accelerates shift to renewables amid global energy crisis fallout

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I find it interesting that in this 'energy crisis' energy companies are making their biggest profits ever.

Something to do with folk buying/using it, I suppose.......????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Something to do with folk buying/using it, I suppose.......????

has anyone calculated what the staggering amount of energy saved during covid would add up to ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

perhaps some kind soul in public relations can explain why Mae Moh is upgrading and expanding its electricity generating capacity.

An increase in electric cars, expanding population. et al. Also maybe during said expansion they are adding better burners and scrubbers????

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

An increase in electric cars, expanding population. et al. Also maybe during said expansion they are adding better burners and scrubbers????

Point taken re an expanding population/electric cars.

Better burners and scrubbers remove fly ash and sulphur. They do nothing to remove CO2.

Natural gas producers strip CO2 out of extracted gas by scrubbing with towers of diethanolamine. They then have to put the stripped CO2 somewhere. It's a process which is impractical for electricity generators. The Second Law of Thermodynamics.

In terms of CO2 emissions in comparison to kW generated, lignite sits at the bottom of the totem pole w.r.to efficiency.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a chemist but large power boilers from memory use an amine solution which in theory can capture up to 85% of the CO2. The rub is then there needs to be a secondary process to strip out the CO2 so the amine can be used again. Then the CO2 needs to be treated and compressed/liquefied.

But then what to do with it if there is no industrial user of CO2 nearby. 

I suspect the Saraburi cement plants to also be huge CO2 emitters. 

Edited by VocalNeal

Can’t fix stupid. Must have been some very very thick brown envelopes. The cost have power has already rocketed beyond the reach of many in Thailand. This will have a horrendous economic impact at ground level.

As it does not work anywhere they try.....Or actually it works, by the big companies moving to other countries and private people need to save electric like in 3rd world countries.
Renewable are great additional to the conventional....Run the airconditions on the day with solar panels, great thing. But don't shut down the coal plants complete and find out that you don't have electric at 6PM when consumption is still high but production low

• Confused 1

A reported Off topic post has been removed.  Please do not move the topic in a different direction, that is considered hijacking the OP. The OP is not about the US or the UK.

The OP is:

Thailand accelerates shift to renewables amid global energy crisis fallout

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm not a chemist but large power boilers from memory use an amine solution which in theory can capture up to 85% of the CO2. The rub is then there needs to be a secondary process to strip out the CO2 so the amine can be used again. Then the CO2 needs to be treated and compressed/liquefied.

But then what to do with it if there is no industrial user of CO2 nearby. 

I suspect the Saraburi cement plants to also be huge CO2 emitters. 

Carbon Capture and Storage ( CCS ) is one of the great scientific hoaxes. There is not a single CCS system on the planet that operates to design parameters, despite the billions of dollars that have been poured into CCS by governments and private enterprise.

The reason is quite simple. Engineers can't make an end run around the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

On 5/4/2023 at 3:31 AM, dinsdale said:

I find it interesting that in this 'energy crisis' energy companies are making their biggest profits ever.

Another example of a once in a generation opportunity to engage in savage profiteering, with Covid being the catalyst for unheard of corporate greed and massive gouging. Gas prices remain stubbornly high, yet oil prices continue to drop, and these goons are making record profits.