Will passing Progressive Liquor Bill help small producers and consumers?

snoop1130

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. An emphatic yes. Thai beer is only rivalled by Serbian beer, and the mass produced American beers, in terms of the very low quality. Poor grade of hops, barely, and the production process seems to be entirely lacking in pride. Typical of the big monopolies. Even a large production beer, like Beer Laos blows away any Thai beer, hands down.

If only the younger Thais were allowed to express themselves, be inventive, be creative, be industrious, and use their smarts and ambition, Thailand could have a future. Craft beer is needed here, and so are the young entrepreneurs. But, that future appears to be suppressed at every turn by dinosaurs, who only answer to money, money, and even more money. Money is the God of lesser men. The money first attitude is holding back Thailand on so many levels. 

Thank you – a perfect summary 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I live in Isaan and would love to be able to buy beer Lao but it's not available locally anywhere.

I only see it occasionally and usually in Bangkok and Pattaya and other large cities.

Strange as I also live in Isan and can buy from the likes of Villa, Tesco....

The royally-sanctioned brewers, Boon Rawd and ThaiBev, should support this bill.

They can let small brewers make a craftbrew market, then come in and buy them.

The local craft brew market is bit like the cannabis market, somewhat unregulated, and the police seem to be keeping hands off, yet offering consumers amazing alternatives.

I had a great IPA from Thong Pradit at Hair of the Dog last week.

https://www.facebook.com/thebrewingproject/

340558047_164703436158962_4745897791043070982_n.jpg

20 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

"A public health researcher said in an interview that he supports a competitive market but he is concerned that more consumption could lead to increased problems in society and for the health of consumers, such as accidents, domestic violence and so on."

It's really stretching credulity to suggest that having more brands and producers will lead to more consumption, and to go from there to make the wild claim that microbrews will cause domestic violence!

In fact, it's hard to believe that consumption would increase at all. More likely, drinkers would just substitute good beer for the bad beer that they currently buy.

Indeed more choice in no way would mean more drinking. Just a rediculous notion. What it does mean is less profits for the oligarchs which in turn would mean less backhanders for the politicians maintaining said oligarchy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Indeed. It's a good little alcohol and cigs place. Kalasin also has a Cj More.

Just had a Cj open in Somdet, right next door to a small Lotus's. For me, it seems to want to stock something of everything and ends up not having a lot of anything. But I'll persevere.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just had a Cj open in Somdet, right next door to a small Lotus's. For me, it seems to want to stock something of everything and ends up not having a lot of anything. But I'll persevere.

They do tend to do things the Thai way when it comes to stock. Instead of stock taking to see what needs to be restocked before it sells out in they wait until it's sold out and then order more. Anyhow next time you go to Kalasin you could check Cj there or the bottle shop in town.

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

They do tend to do things the Thai way when it comes to stock. Instead of stock taking to see what needs to be restocked before it sells out in they wait until it's sold out and then order more. Anyhow next time you go to Kalasin you could check Cj there or the bottle shop in town.

I never miss a visit to the bottle shop there :burp:

• Thumbs Up 1

How much actual BEER do they produce - it is all lager!

And they know this and feel that calling it "lager beer" satisfies real beer drinkers.

Which it doesn't!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Yes, it's a crying shame...40-45 Baht for a big bottle of the stuff in Laos.

Least hangover-y beer on the planet for me.

Just had a trip to Vietnam great choice of craft beers at less than half the price in Thailand where beer is fizzy water with some alcohol added.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

What's the white IPA like? I like the 6% aspect. I bought a large can of this Indonesian stout:

Rum Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (2021) | Hawkers Beer

Can't remember but I think Bt166. 12.4% of pure camel's piss. Absolutely horrible.

This Extra Stout from Cambo 8% is excellent. But sadly not available here that I know. Friend brought back a couple for lucky me. 

1683282401964.thumb.jpg.3357161b0dde0d508d8db44bcc183b60.jpg

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

What's the white IPA like? I like the 6% aspect

It's ok, but I and my buddy who turned me on to it, prefer the lower alc green can Pale Ale. More flavorful. 

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Beer Lao prices Cj MORE. Almost double the price from what it is in Loas.

image.jpeg.dfbfe8b7cb2ca65396059c71af109b13.jpeg

Yep. Here it's an import. 

7 hours ago, shackleton said:

Thai beer must be good all they years I have been here the bars in Pattaya Bangkok ect plenty of tourists enjoying drinking it ???? 

Even have friends in the UK buying Singha as its that good ???? 

Anyone who buys Thai beer in other countries do so only because they are stuck in Farangland and it brings back fond memories of all the fun, debauchery and great times had here. NOT cuz it's good????

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shackleton said:

Thai beer must be good all they years I have been here the bars in Pattaya Bangkok ect plenty of tourists enjoying drinking it ???? 

Even have friends in the UK buying Singha as its that good ???? 

It's to remind them of their holidays! They expect to be called "hansum man" after a couple! ???? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I live in Isaan and would love to be able to buy beer Lao but it's not available locally anywhere.

I only see it occasionally and usually in Bangkok and Pattaya and other large cities.

Not that it does you any good, but readily available in Chiang Mai too. Served in many Beer Bars at around B100-120/sm bottle. 

38 minutes ago, sambum said:

It's to remind them of their holidays! They expect to be called "hansum man" after a couple! ???? 

I once bought Chang in the U.K. in Tesco when it was 5%, tasted nothing like the Chang here.

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

This Extra Stout from Cambo 8% is excellent. But sadly not available here that I know. Friend brought back a couple for lucky me. 

It's ok, but I and my buddy who turned me on to it, prefer the lower alc green can Pale Ale. More flavorful. 

This is a great stout and has been or still is available in Thailand. 6.2% but used to be 6.8%. Coopers Stout. Very good.

Beer Review – Coopers Best Extra Stout – It's just the booze ...

1683247353973.thumb.jpg.d25da088c00b165e1feee5145a794590.jpg

I do remeber now this IGA. Had 1 will never have another 1. Reminded me of ........ The worst 'beer' I've ever had. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Haha 1

Just tried this one B132. 6.5% alc. It's good but not that good...tho does come in a lovely can! But still like the B99 same brand green can Pale Ale better.

1683372018138_copy_1126x1691.thumb.jpg.cbbf757e5534bf120244c70999161109.jpg

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, Skeptic7 said:

What happened to Asean free trade agreements?